Brewer Fanatic

2017-06-03: Dodgers (Hill) at Brewers (Garza) 3:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 10-8]

hawing
The wasteland all have an ERA over 4. Something should be done about that.

I like Knebel, I really do. But he isn't a closer like Jansen. Of course the Dodgers are a big payroll team and can afford the best. I just think Feliz is such a bad signing because he was supposed to be the closer and he has failed.

I mean do we really have big 9th inning come from behind rallies no matter who the opposing closer is? Today doesn't really have anything to do with Knebel because he wasn't available . It shouldn't take an elite closer to hold a 3 run lead. If Torres can't do the job, he doesn't belong here.

They could DFA all of Torres, Drake, Feliz and Hughes tomorrow and I wouldn't bat an eye.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Knebel and Barnes aren't available Craig is pretty much screwed because everyone else in the pen kind of sucks.

Why not have somebody - ANYBODY - up, just in case Torres bombs? How could any of the guys still out there be worse?

Torres had pitched well the last 12 games( per TH).....only others left were Scahill( obviously held back for long relief) and Feliz who is ... Feliz.

So no good options.....the pen stinks other then the 2 guys who couldn't,pitch today.

If Knebel and Barnes aren't available Craig is pretty much screwed because everyone else in the pen kind of sucks.

Why not have somebody - ANYBODY - up, just in case Torres bombs? How could any of the guys still out there be worse?

Torres had pitched well the last 12 games( per TH).....only others left were Scahill( obviously held back for long relief) and Feliz who is ... Feliz.

So no good options.....the pen stinks other then the 2 guys who couldn't,pitch today.

And yet this RP situation comes after SPs going deeper than they do the previous 3games. Easy to Agree though, the moment the bases get loaded someone needs to be warming in the pen. Walk a run in, that guy comes in to the game. With Torres throwing just Cut Fastballs and he walks in a run, you can predict what happened.

Think I need to take a break from this team tomorrow and regain some perspective. This is supposed to be fun. When it's becoming more stressful than fun it's probably time to step away and take a day off from them.

The wasteland all have an ERA over 4. Something should be done about that.

I like Knebel, I really do. But he isn't a closer like Jansen. Of course the Dodgers are a big payroll team and can afford the best. I just think Feliz is such a bad signing because he was supposed to be the closer and he has failed.

I mean do we really have big 9th inning come from behind rallies no matter who the opposing closer is? Today doesn't really have anything to do with Knebel because he wasn't available . It shouldn't take an elite closer to hold a 3 run lead. If Torres can't do the job, he doesn't belong here.

They could DFA all of Torres, Drake, Feliz and Hughes tomorrow and I wouldn't bat an eye.

By definition, if we had a closer with a 18 ERA we would have won.

This has been a bad bullpen all year, they just barely hid their high WIP by having a mediocre bullpen ERA.

As the season goes on they become exactly who the rest of the league thought these guys were when they were released in the first place.

Feliz was the key to this mess. He didnt come through and that caused a ripple effect so no one has a role anymore and it's up to CC to guess who will be adequate.

2 earned runs + Aguilar's unearned run = blown save.

I don't think you can overlook Aguilar's role in all of this - if he just steps on first there's 2 outs and the tying run doesn't come up and everything is probably fine.

I don't think you can overlook Aguilar's role in all of this - if he just steps on first there's 2 outs and the tying run doesn't come up and everything is probably fine.

Don't get me wrong, that was a terrible play, but it was still followed by walk, single, walk, homerun. We lost because of terrible pitching.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Don't get me wrong, that was a terrible play, but it was still followed by walk, single, walk, homerun. We lost because of terrible pitching.

Crowd would be on its feet with two outs and the whole setting shifts....

You're missing the point. Aguilar's boneheaded play took an out off the board and put undue stress on your third string closer against a premier team. If there's two outs and a runner on second, up by 3, then Torres isn't under the gun and the Dodgers aren't energized. I was there. The game changed on that play. All that followed was totally predictable. Maybe a premier closer rises to the occasion but expecting Torres to is a reach.

Agreed .....two walks and a hit would have at least had a human being up and ready in my pen.

Think I need to take a break from this team tomorrow and regain some perspective. This is supposed to be fun. When it's becoming more stressful than fun it's probably time to step away and take a day off from them.

This is a horrendous roster that played way way way over its norm so far. Fangraphs has us are the 5th worse roster in the game and if you take a step back and look at the big picture that's about right.

http://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=ALL&teamid=23

They had a nice two months and games like this were going to happen. This season is about developing the guys who will be here in 2019, not playing for the WS.

You're missing the point. Aguilar's boneheaded play took an out off the board and put undue stress on your third string closer against a premier team. If there's two outs and a runner on second, up by 3, then Torres isn't under the gun and the Dodgers aren't energized. I was there. The game changed on that play. All that followed was totally predictable. Maybe a premier closer rises to the occasion but expecting Torres to is a reach.

Puh-lease. Torres is 34 and has been "good" the past half decade. Quit making excuses for one of the veterans on this team that needs to get the job done in such an "easy" situation.

That said the defense this team generally plays is not good and guys should be held accountable.

Verified Member

That's not my quote.

Verified Member

You were there to witness this mess! I can imagine how let down all of you felt when leaving Miller Park.

You're right. That error really changed the momentum.

Absolutely, Aguilar's mistake may have cost us the game. All he had to do was step on 1st and there's 2 outs now, and the tying run isn't coming to the plate. The situation changes entirely. Had it been bases loaded in a late tie game with 1 out, then I get trying to turn it.

I understand it's a spur of the moment decision but this is the price you pay for not thinking ahead and knowing the situation.

That doesn't take Torres off the hook, either. He still had an out and a 3 run lead with plenty of chances left to work out of it. Both players played a pivotal role in costing us this game.

And yet this RP situation comes after SPs going deeper than they do the previous 3games. Easy to Agree though, the moment the bases get loaded someone needs to be warming in the pen. Walk a run in, that guy comes in to the game. With Torres throwing just Cut Fastballs and he walks in a run, you can predict what happened.

What I found inexcusable is Counsell didn't have anybody else even warming up just in case Torres struggled. Nobody wants to see Feliz but would Scahill had been any worse yesterday?? And if the pen is as terrible as it appears then something should be done. Perhaps we should bring up somebody from AAA. It is criminal to lose a game like that with a 3 run lead in the top of the 9th. I'm almost dreading today's game... :(

Absolutely, Aguilar's mistake may have cost us the game. All he had to do was step on 1st and there's 2 outs now, and the tying run isn't coming to the plate. The situation changes entirely. Had it been bases loaded in a late tie game with 1 out, then I get trying to turn it.

I understand it's a spur of the moment decision but this is the price you pay for not thinking ahead and knowing the situation.

That doesn't take Torres off the hook, either. He still had an out and a 3 run lead with plenty of chances left to work out of it. Both players played a pivotal role in costing us this game.

Yes, Aguilar trying to take out the lead runner was a mistake. That run didn't mean anything. Getting outs did.

The biggest problem with this team is they play stupid baseball at times. They get caught off the bases, they don't call off teammates when going for pop-ups and they are too aggressive at the plate when they don't have to be. If the opposing pitcher can't find throw a strike why in the hell are you swinging and putting yourself out? This is the same crap we saw last year. Is it just inexperience or is it coaching - or lack thereof?

That's not my quote.

Sorry I was trying to avoid a long multiple quote and messed up.

Archived