Brewer Fanatic

Your 2017 DSL Brewers

Brewer Fanatic Staff
RHP Melvin Mendez has been swapped from the co-op team to the primary DSL Brewers roster. We have also asked MiLB to change the default view of his Player Page to pitcher, as he converted this season.

Thanks to our contact in the MiLB office for updating Mendez's page.

And after just two days with the Brewers full team, Mendez is back on the DSL Brewers/Indians co-op roster. Remember, just scroll to the bottom of any player page to see career transactions.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

First posted July 8th --

The Brewers have signed RHP Jorge Mancebo, a 22-year-old RHP and Dominican native who previously pitched for the Rangers' organization in the Dominican Summer League.

Mancebo pitched in 2014 and part of 2015 prior to his July 20, 2015 release.

He has not pitched in affiliated ball play since then, we would imagine Mancebo will be assigned to one of the two DSL squads, but that official transaction has not been made yet.

UPDATE: Mancebo has been officially placed on the co-op Brewers / Indians squad.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Originally posted June 10th --

We realize that this isn't the transaction thread, but it likely makes more sense to post Dominican Summer League signings here.

Brewers sign recently-turned 20-year-old LHP (we'll always accept LHP's) Silvestre Berroa, who was released by the Diamondbacks last October after 33 relief appearances over two seasons.

Numbers are solid, as you can see at the link.

Berroa was assigned to the Brewers' own (non-shared) squad.

Welcome aboard!

Brewers announced Berroa's release today. There must be a backstory given the numbers, including the 2017 numbers (and his southpaw-ness), but we'll never know. His player page is linked above.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

RHP Johan Dominguez, a 21-year-old who debuted effectively in 2016, hasn't pitched since June 21st, a game in which he didn't retire any of the five men he faced in the 2nd inning.

20-year-old RHP Victor Vasquez, a pro rookie this year, looked good through six appearances (five starts), but he last pitched on July 7th.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

From July 14th --

The Brewers transaction page indicates they have signed RHP Wilber Perez, a 19-year-old Dominican.

Unless assigned to a DSL team soon, Perez will be considered part of the July 2nd international period signings, and will begin his pro career in 2018.

UPDATE: Perez was just formally placed on the DSL Brewers "own" team, so that's an indication he'll debut this season.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Originally posted June 10th --

We realize that this isn't the transaction thread, but it likely makes more sense to post Dominican Summer League signings here.

Brewers sign recently-turned 20-year-old LHP (we'll always accept LHP's) Silvestre Berroa, who was released by the Diamondbacks last October after 33 relief appearances over two seasons.

Numbers are solid, as you can see at the link.

Berroa was assigned to the Brewers' own (non-shared) squad.

Welcome aboard!

Then a July 20th update --

Brewers announced Berroa's release today. There must be a backstory given the numbers, including the 2017 numbers (and his southpaw-ness), but we'll never know. His player page is linked above.

Finally, July 28th --

Oooh, never say never!

From MiLB.com:

"Free agent left-hander Silvestre Berroa received a 72-game ban after testing positive for performance-enhancers boldenone and stanozolol.

Berroa has spent all three of his Minor League seasons in the Dominican Summer League. He had a 1.50 ERA with 15 strikeouts and six walks in 24 innings for the Brewers' DSL affiliate this season before being released on July 19. The 20-year-old southpaw spent the 2015 and 2016 campaigns in the D-backs' system. His suspension will go into effect when he signs with an organization."

Clearly, the Brewers had an inkling a suspension was forthcoming.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

The Brewers have assigned 17-year-old OF Alejandro Marte and assigned the 6'2, 180 lb. Dominican native and RH bat to their full (non co-op) DSL Brewers squad.

The Brewers own transaction page shows they signed Marte on July 2nd, but unlike the official July 2nd international signees (up-to-date list at Baseball America), Marte will make his debut this season, it seems, and his seven-year time clock will begin in 2017, not 2018.

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Updated list of July 2nd signings per MLB --

Larry Ernesto, OF, Dominican Republic, $1,700,000 -- No. 14 on MLB Pipeline's Top 30 list

Carlos Rodriguez, OF, Venezuela, $1,355,000 -- No. 28 on MLB Pipeline's Top 30 list

Jeicor Cristian, OF, Dominican Republic, $340,000

Andres Melendez, C, Venezuela, $325,000

Francis Casado, OF, Dominican Republic, $300,000

Daniel Castillo, SS, Venezuela, $140,000

Alwinson Valdez, OF, Dominican Republic, $80,000

Alberis Perez, SS, Dominican Republic, $60,000

Juan Frias, OF, Dominican Republic, $50,000

Jose Arteaga, SS, Venezuela, $20,000

Leoner Colina, RHP, Venezuela, $15,000

Cristiam Sierra, RHP, Dominican Republic, $10,000

Davison Gonzalez, LHS, Venezuela, $10,000

Luis Valderrama, C, Venezuela, $10,000

Apparently Milwaukee is comfortable in getting the time clock started on LHP Davison Gonzalez, as the soon-to-be 20-year-old (August 10th) has been assigned to the DSL Brewers squad. Most, if not all, the rest of his class will begin play in 2018.

I don't follow the DSL team all that closely, and I know that good info on some of these prospects are sometimes hard to come by. But, it would appear that we might actually have 4-5 legit prospects down there that might be worth keeping an eye on. Do I have this correct? If so, what can anyone share about the following guys: Carmona, Familia, Avalo, Abreu and Adames? I'm somewhat familiar with Ernesto Martinez as he was the kid we signed late in the international signing period this past year, but I'm just curious if anyone has any scouting reports on some of these other intriguing prospects. Is it possible that we might actually have some kids worth following down there this year?

I don't follow the DSL team all that closely, and I know that good info on some of these prospects are sometimes hard to come by. But, it would appear that we might actually have 4-5 legit prospects down there that might be worth keeping an eye on. Do I have this correct? If so, what can anyone share about the following guys: Carmona, Familia, Avalo, Abreu and Adames? I'm somewhat familiar with Ernesto Martinez as he was the kid we signed late in the international signing period this past year, but I'm just curious if anyone has any scouting reports on some of these other intriguing prospects. Is it possible that we might actually have some kids worth following down there this year?

From an offensive perspective, this is probably the most talented grouping I have seen down there...ever. Having said that, quality scouting reports are very hard to come by.

I think Carmona, Abreu, Familia, Ernesto, Martinez, Rodriguez and Florentino is a really strong group. I am much more skeptical of catchers and pitchers down there, maybe irrationally. I take more of a "prove it stateside" attitude with the catchers and pitchers.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Yeah, it just seems that in the past few years the only bats that ever really put up numbers in the DSL for us were guys that were 20+ years in age. This year, we have a handful of 17-18 year old kids that are really putting up some solid numbers. I agree with you though - until they prove that they can do it stateside, probably not worth getting too excited about any of them yet.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Originally posted July 2nd --

DSL transaction page introduces us to latest Brewer --

16-year-old RHP Michele Vassalotti, he'll be 17 in August

Signed in early June and activated from the restricted list Saturday 7/1.

His MiLB Player Page doesn't list a home town but this image comes from a page that indicates he's from Venezuela.

http://www.academiamn.com.ve/images/mn_michellevassalotti.png

A reminder this young man turned 17 on August 2nd.

The Brewers placed Vassalotti into the DSL rotation immediately upon signing, no easing into things from the bullpen.

After his six-inning, no-earned run outing Friday, Vassalotti's line in seven starts --

26.2 IP, 17 H, 6 R, 5 ER, 1.69 ERA, 0.86 WHIP, 6 BB, 22 K's

Fan clubs. Bandwagons. Hype machines. Let them all commence for the 6'2, 180" RHP, sure to grow into that fine initial frame.

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

The Brewers release 19-year-old Venezuelan RHP Jesus Colman, who had only pitched once since July 11th.

Colman split 2017 between the DSL Brewers club and its Indians/Brewers co-op team, making 11 relief appearances (3.93 ERA but 1.58 WHIP, 13 walks and 10 K's in 18.1 IP).

In 2016, Colman made his debut as a pro for the Blue Jays and posted impressive numbers, as you'll see at the link above. So the Blue Jays made their release decision not based on stats, certainly, and the Brewers pull a quick hook here.

We'll never know, but perhaps there's much more to the story, as they say.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived