Brewer Fanatic

RANK Top 12 Brewers Starting Pitchers of All-Time

This thread I try to stay away from reading because it is flat out depressing the lack of quality that we have had as a franchise.

On that note, how far down the list would Scott Karl be? That speaks to the dearth of above average starting pitching in franchise history.

This thread I try to stay away from reading because it is flat out depressing the lack of quality that we have had as a franchise.

On that note, how far down the list would Scott Karl be? That speaks to the dearth of above average starting pitching in franchise history.

Scott Karl is above average starting pitching? Yikes.

Nope, that's not what I was trying to say. I'd say Karl is pretty darned average. Yet, on the list of all time Brewers starters, I'd have to imagine he slots in somewhere in the 15-20 range, and that is somewhat telling.

I don't even know how I'd rank the Brewers current starting 5 on talent, but I have a feeling that Zach Davies could become a Bill Wegmen-esque, sneaky-good, long time Brewer and crack this list at some point in the future. lol

Crazy to think that after Sheets & Gallardo.... Jimmy Nelson & Peralta are probably battling for the 3rd best homegrown (drafted) SP in past 20 years.... Manny Parra may be only one standing in there way. Yikes! Thornburg was forced into pen too quick. Peralta & Parra were given longer leash. Nelson has been able to stick so far.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I already have Nelson and Peralta ahead of Parra. Heck, I'll go ahead and bump Fiers and Woodard ahead of Parra on my list of homegrown SPs of the past 20 years too, partially based off of how frustrated Parra often made me. I'd like to say D'Amico too, but he misses the 20 year cutoff, having debuted in '96.

Wow, I think we have uncovered an organizational weakness that is the lack of developing STARTING PITCHING that spans at least 2-5 decades!

Brewers new front office, please make it stop...

...starting next Monday!

Crazy to think that after Sheets & Gallardo.... Jimmy Nelson & Peralta are probably battling for the 3rd best homegrown (drafted) SP in past 20 years.... Manny Parra may be only one standing in there way. Yikes! Thornburg was forced into pen too quick. Peralta & Parra were given longer leash. Nelson has been able to stick so far.

And I think Jake Odorizzi may be the only Brewer SP product in recent memory to make a dent anywhere else. It's been an organizational weakness since the beginning.

Forgot to add Fiers. I think he actually could be ahead of both Nelson and Peralta still. The lack of consistency has not been there foe either of them. Fiers pretty much gave you quality starts consistently.

13. Allen Levrault (-1.0) 21 GS

1. Kyle Peterson (0.2) 14 GS

9. Matt Childers RP 0GS

1. JM Gold (Never)

2. Nick Neugebauer (-0.2) 14 GS

1. Ben Sheets (25.6) 221 GS

10. Ben Hendrickson (-1.1) 12 GS

none

1. Mike Jones ( Never)

15. Tim Dillard RP 0 GS

26. Manny Parra (-3.3) 74 GS

28. Chris Saenz (0.4) 1 GS

*Dennis Sarfate (Traded prior)

16. Dana Eveland (-1.1) 5 GS

*7. T. Wilhelmsen (released)

26. Craig Breslow (released)

16. Mitch Stetter RP 0 GS

1. Mark Rogers (1.1) 9 GS

2. Yovani Gallardo (15.9) 211 GS

3. Will Inman (never)

18. Zack Braddock (0.2) RP 0 GS

*Did not sign Andrew Bailey (6.1) or Jake Arreita (19.6)

1. Jeremy Jeffress (3.8) 0 GS

8. Mike McClendon (0.3) 0 GS

IFA Wily Peralta (3.0) 12 GS

11. Cody Scarpetta (never)

14. Donovan Hand (0.9) 5 GS

*1. Jake Odorizzi (traded) (9.1) 111 GS

14. Rob Wooten 0 GS (-0.2)

18. Nick Bucci (never)

6. Hiram Burgos (-0.6) 6 GS

17. Tyler Cravy (0.0) 5 GS

26 Mike Fiers 56 GS (4.6)

2. Jimmy Nelson (2.6) 86 GS

3. Tyler Thornburg (4.1) 10 GS

1. Taylor Jungmann (1.1) 27 GS

2. Jorge Lopez (-0.1) 2GS (still prospect)

7. David Goforth RP (-0.4)

14 Jacob Barnes RP (1.2)

4. Tyler Wagner 3 GS (-0.4) (Traded)

5. Damion Magnifico RP (TRADED)

31. Brent Suter 2 GS (0.4)

*10 Anthony Banda is a top pitching prospect for DBacks (no MLB)

2. Devin Williams (never but still a prospect) Questionable if he makes it

4. Taylor Williams (never but believe he will at least as a RP)

*Barret Astin (traded) only player in draft class to MLB debut

1. Kodi Mederois (never) Looking like if he does make it, it will be RP

11. Brandon Woodruff (never) Will find a job in rotation and could be one of best we have developed

12. Jordan Yamamoto (never) long shot

1. Nathan Kirby (never) Big question mark, arm may never hold up

3. Cody Ponce (never) Has good chance to work his way up into rotation or RP role

16 Conor Habor & 27 Jon Perrin are longer shots but have a chance to at least get cups of coffee

8. Nate Griep looks to be good bullpen arm

Far to early but...

4. Corbin Burnes looks like real deal and could be piece for future

Not to hyjack this topic but I wanted to go back and actually look at the past 20 years and it is as ugly as we believed!

Top 5 list

1. Ben Sheets 221 GS 25.6 WAR

2. Yovani Gallardo 211 GS 15.9 WAR

3. Mike Fiers 56 GS 4.6 WAR

4. Wily Peralta 120 GS 3.0 WAR

5. Jimmy Nelson 86 GS 2.6 WAR

After that ONLY Parra and Jungmann have started over 20 games!!!!!

Taylor Jungmann 27 GS (1.1) WAR

Allen Levault 21 GS (-1.0) WAR

Manny Parra 74 GS (-3.3) WAR

This has to be one of the worst track records in baseball! In 20 drafts and the ability to sign internationally only 8 SPs have made over 20 starts for them!

Jake Odorizzi has been has good as we all expected 108 GS 8.2 WAR so far. Only 27 and starting to hit his prime.

As depressing as that may have been, nice work Young Geezy!

Thanks for putting in the time to post that.

This HAS to be a focus of improvement for the Brewers newer front office.

Other teams draft and develop decent SP all the time.

Brewers can't just say we suck at it and give up! (by drafting toolsy OF every year for example, lol)

Stearns can certainly build a good offense with the Travis Shaws of the baseball world.

Come on Scouting department... Let's do this!

Sadly it is not even the case that we have traded off minor league pitchers! Really only Odorizzi and maybe soon Banda are quality MLB SP's we have traded away. Going through those drafts were really depressing. You see guys who could have been very good but injuries crushed them (Nuegy, Jones, Rogers) but large majority are guys who never even became real prospects!

Who would have thought that as of now, Jungmann who can't even perform in AA is the the 5th best SP pitcher we have drafted in last 20 drafts? Unreal. Time to start hitting on at least high floor 4-5 starters who can eat innings and give you 20+ starts a year. Not even worried about drafting all Ace's, for 2 decades we can't even get those type of guys developed.

Sadly it is not even the case that we have traded off minor league pitchers! Really only Odorizzi and maybe soon Banda are quality MLB SP's we have traded away. Going through those drafts were really depressing. You see guys who could have been very good but injuries crushed them (Nuegy, Jones, Rogers) but large majority are guys who never even became real prospects!

Who would have thought that as of now, Jungmann who can't even perform in AA is the the 5th best SP pitcher we have drafted in last 20 drafts? Unreal. Time to start hitting on at least high floor 4-5 starters who can eat innings and give you 20+ starts a year. Not even worried about drafting all Ace's, for 2 decades we can't even get those type of guys developed.

And that's why I wonder about the "develop" part of "draft and develop".

Nobody comes out of the draft as a finished product.

They can scout the best amateur talent, but if those guys wither in the minors, then it's not about drafting poorly.

There has been a disconnect somewhere. Hopefully it has been figured out. Like I said, at this point it's not even about developing another Ace like Sheets or near ace like Yo but just guys who can make it to the club and produce. 20 games started is not even a whole season. The fact only 8 drafted/signed homegrown guys have made it blows my mind.

Woodruff & Burns.... hopefully Lopez if he figures it out again can break that mold.

Archived