Brewer Fanatic

2017-06-01: Brewers (Anderson) at Mets (Wheeler) 12:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 2-1]

hawing

June is busting out all over!

Brewers:

SS Eric Sogard (L)

1B Eric Thames (L)

CF Hernan Perez ®

3B Travis Shaw (L)

RF Domingo Santana ®

C Jett Bandy ®

2B Jonathan Villar (S)

LF Nick Franklin (S)

RHP Chase Anderson ®

Mets:

LF Michael Conforto (L)

SS Jose Reyes (S)

RF Jay Bruce (L)

2B Neil Walker (S)

1B Lucas Duda (L)

CF Curtis Granderson (L)

3B Wilmer Flores ®

C Travis d'Arnaud ®

RHP Zack Wheeler ®

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That’s about as left handed as we can get. Really pleased to see Sogard back in there, he deserves 20+ at bats a week right now.

Had I told you when the season started that Guerra would leave his first start and miss 2 months, that Wily Peralta would pitch his way out of the rotation, that Feliz would pitch his way out of the closer’s role, that Braun would have 2 stints on the DL and that Villar would start the season in a 2 month slump… what odds would you have given me that we would be leading the division on June 1st? Baseball is a weird game…

Let’s get back on a little streak here boys..

I'm fine with Sogard playing, as he's hot and deserves it. But I'd MUCH rather see him in LF over Franklin. Franklin has shown absolutely nothing and quite frankly doesn't deserve to be on the roster IMO. More damaging though, is taking Arcia out. You're losing his great defense, but at the same time, he's been hitting awfully well lately as well. Not sure why you give him a day off right now.

I'm fine with Sogard playing, as he's hot and deserves it. But I'd MUCH rather see him in LF over Franklin. Franklin has shown absolutely nothing and quite frankly doesn't deserve to be on the roster IMO. More damaging though, is taking Arcia out. You're losing his great defense, but at the same time, he's been hitting awfully well lately as well. Not sure why you give him a day off right now.

I was going to say something similar about Franklin but trying not to be too critical as CC seems to be pulling some good strings. I know he wants lefties and all but I'd still much prefer Broxton or Aria in there. Both have been solid lately, Brox just homered last night. Franklin basically shouldn't see the field with all the other options we have with this team which is surprisingly very deep.

Franklin has to play at some point. Part of the reason he's not producing is because of the lack of at bats he's getting. He's still been a pretty solid pinch hitter off the bench.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Why does he need to play when we have so many better options and everyone can still get plenty of days off by rotating them all? He should be happy getting the big league check and just being there for emergency due to his positional flex. Sogard took his spot by massively outplaying him, that's the way she goes sometimes. That said, the way CC has been going Frankling will get 3 hits today.

Meh. I'm ok with Broxton getting a rest day from time to time, I just really don't want to see Franklin on the roster at all.

With 3 really good OF options in Colorado Springs and the Super 2 date probably safely passed I'd much rather see a 3rd true outfielder on the roster since we are only carrying 2 at the moment, only one of which is a good defender.

Franklin's role on the team is just puzzling to me. We already have 2 jack of all trade utility guys in Perez and Sogard I don't know why we need a 3rd. Plus if Cordell gets the call he can play corner IF as well.

I'm not appalled by Franklin's presence on the 25, just don't really understand it and still don't see him surviving the year on it.

Yea I don't care if he's there as the emergency guy, good for him. Broxton's days off can easily from from Perez. As you said, you have two guys that can play everywhere already to move around and give everyone normal days off.

I'd guess he gets the boot when Braun comes back from the DL, but that still doesn't justify him being on the roster right now. As others have said, his versatility isn't a plus given all the other guys we have that can do that.

I'd much rather see Wren, Cordell, Phillips or Brinson up in those spots, even if it's just for a week or two. The Super 2 deadline is likely safely behind us too.

So this Sogard thing is starting to make me curious. I know guys go on hot streaks … but his first 50 at bats here with the club he has been on base just under 60% of the time and he was hitting really well in AAA before the call up … so this is now 2+ months of great production (with the caveat of the beginning being in AAA).

Can anyone think of another example of someone putting together a full season of all-star level production, after age 30, for the first time, after over 1,000 at bats of sub-par offense before? Another way of asking that … someone give me an example of another big leaguer doing this to make me believe he can sustain this for the full season and beyond…

Alright, well at least Franklin did that well...almost overthrew him actually. That was a pretty impressive throw.

That said, not sure how you don't ring him up a couple of pitches before. Brewers certainly have not gotten much help behind the plate in this series.

So this Sogard thing is starting to make me curious. I know guys go on hot streaks … but his first 50 at bats here with the club he has been on base just under 60% of the time and he was hitting really well in AAA before the call up … so this is now 2+ months of great production (with the caveat of the beginning being in AAA).

Can anyone think of another example of someone putting together a full season of all-star level production, after age 30, for the first time, after over 1,000 at bats of sub-par offense before? Another way of asking that … someone give me an example of another big leaguer doing this to make me believe he can sustain this for the full season and beyond…

Eric Thames might be a soon to be example(yes I know he does fit your 1000 AB part):

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=thames001eri

Omar Infante(good example in my opinion...he wasn't as terrible as Sogard was prior to his AS year though):

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/i/infanom01.shtml

Verified Member
Might be a little brutal to watch our 7, 8, 9 spot today

Sounds like the Mets tested Franklin and lost... it's strange how occasionally a poor outfielder can make an out that a GREAT OFer wouldn't make because the runners wouldn't test him. Baseball is a funny game.

Might be a little brutal to watch our 7, 8, 9 spot today

Sounds like the Mets tested Franklin and lost... it's strange how occasionally a poor outfielder can make an out that a GREAT OFer wouldn't make because the runners wouldn't test him. Baseball is a funny game.

It was a good throw, but the runner was out quite easily. I think most OF with average arms probably have a good chance of an out there. It was a very hard hit ball and a slow runner. But the pitcher on deck I guess made it worth the shot.

Verified Member

Ozzie Smith and Omar Vizquel were both poor offensive players in their 20s and decent to good offensive players in their 30s.

Stupid not to just let Anderson bunt with two strikes. Chase Anderson isn't touching Zack Wheeler swinging and even if he did it would likely gift the Mets a double play.

AND of course Sogard gets a hit.

Stupid not to just let Anderson bunt with two strikes. Chase Anderson isn't touching Zack Wheeler swinging and even if he did it would likely gift the Mets a double play.

AND of course Sogard gets a hit.

To play devils advocate, the Sogard ball is likely an out if the 1b isn't holding the runner on. Can't say for sure, but it certainly seemed like it. That said, I agree with you 100% that Anderson should have still tried to bunt.

Archived