Brewer Fanatic

Hypothetically say Guerra keeps up his excellent pitching and posts a 2.8-3ish ERA at the end of the year. Totally get wanting to go for it next year, but would you field a trade offer for a AA-AAA TOR type for him? The tradeoff would be a far younger starter with more control but totally unproven.

A deal may look like Guerra for TOR potential AA-AAA and maybe another top 20 prospect?

What are your thoughts?

Well assuming he also STAYS HEALTHY I would hypothetically(since no specific player was given) trade him. Guerra is old and a injury risk. If we keep him I would hope we are making other legitimate moves to compete.

Hypothetically say Guerra keeps up his excellent pitching and posts a 2.8-3ish ERA at the end of the year. Totally get wanting to go for it next year, but would you field a trade offer for a AA-AAA TOR type for him? The tradeoff would be a far younger starter with more control but totally unproven.

A deal may look like Guerra for TOR potential AA-AAA and maybe another top 20 prospect?

What are your thoughts?

Well since I don't believe that the Brewers are going to be able to truly contend for a WS next--I'm thinking even '18 may be a bit soon to be a true WS contender--I would absolutely leap on any opportunity we had to get a potential TOR type pitcher who's matured all the way to AA or AAA. We've had tremendous success picking up castaways and given them an opportunity that they needed...Broxton is a guy that comes to mind. I think that guy has such a high ceiling that he might actually be the long term CF'er here. I like Aquilar a lot. Obviously Santana looks really solid.

But setting that all aside, we haven't gotten to the point where our prospects are having an impact. I don't know how much more we're gonna get out of the guys we have on the field now. Shaw, Thames, the Catcher position....Arcia and Villar can both improve quite a bit. But the point is I don't think we're going to be a real 95 Win, legitimate WS contending team without some of our blue chip prospects coming up and playing really well and we haven't even started with the exception of Arcia.

So yeah, give me the prospect who has the potential to be a #1 or #2 for a guy who if all goes according to this plan will have pitched roughly what...50 starts and is already 33 years old.

I think it's pretty optimistic if we're hoping to get back a TOR prospect and another top 20 prospect.

But it's all a matter of opinion. I think this is a 70 win team playing outstanding baseball right now, playing the right way and with a manager pushing the right buttons. So I wouldn't be too worried about hurting our rotation for next year in favor of upgrading in 2-3 years down the line.

If we could get a top-of-the-rotation guy who is already in AA/AAA, then it's pretty likely that we wouldn't be hurting our rotation in 2018 in favor of upgrading it 2-3 years down the line. That guy would be in our rotation in 2018, and it is quite possible he'd outpitch Guerra in year one, much less years 2-6. If we could get that guy plus another top 20 prospect, we could be in the World Series in the near future.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If we could get a top-of-the-rotation guy who is already in AA/AAA, then it's pretty likely that we wouldn't be hurting our rotation in 2018 in favor of upgrading it 2-3 years down the line. That guy would be in our rotation in 2018, and it is quite possible he'd outpitch Guerra in year one, much less years 2-6. If we could get that guy plus another top 20 prospect, we could be in the World Series in the near future.

It's a bit of optimistic that a guy in AA..or even AAA could come in right away and reach his potential and out-pitch Guerra--under this assumption he pitches the rest of the year healthy and like he has been-- next season. But certainly he'd be a better bet in years 2-6 you mentioned. All the more reason it'd be great for the Brewers and I can't imagine another team doing it.

It's a bit of optimistic that a guy in AA..or even AAA could come in right away and reach his potential and out-pitch Guerra--under this assumption he pitches the rest of the year healthy and like he has been-- next season. But certainly he'd be a better bet in years 2-6 you mentioned. All the more reason it'd be great for the Brewers and I can't imagine another team doing it.

I was going from the "TOR type" AA / AAA player. Many say that as good as our pitching prospects are, we don't have a "TOR type." Therefore, in this proposal, we'd be looking at getting someone who is already in the upper minors and is better than Hader/Woodruff. I think that there is a decent chance someone like that could outpitch Guerra next year. He turns 33 in January and could be one of those guys who has a couple of good seasons and that's it. That's why there was trade speculation on him before this season, when he had five years of remaining team control.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Guerra pitches this year, and I would be very happy if he puts together another good year and that allows the Brewers to trade him for a group of talented prospects. If one of them is a "TOR type" in the upper minors, I'd be ecstatic.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

It's an interesting idea. It's tough to get a TOR guy that is too far advanced but there have been guys like Kopech, Espinoza, Synderdgaard, and some others moved.

I think you'd try to get an A or A+ type guy, possibly a newbie to AA. I think it would be tough to get a more advanced guy. It's obvious Guerra knows how to pitch. If he keeps it up the second time through, you'd have confidence in him overall.

I'd keep a team like Boston on speed dial. Dombrowski is not afraid to be decisive in pulling the trigger on deals. And they have that added arms race with the Yankees. The Yankees, of course, could be an option, but I don't know they'd give up pitching.

But, since Guerra is not going to be expensive, literally any team could get on him for a trade, including Miami, TB...anyone. He's not just a big market option.

Too bad he's not 24. You wouldn't have enough napkins to wipe the drool off our faces.

Archived