Brewer Fanatic

2017-05-31: Brewers (Guerra) at Mets (de Grom) 6:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 7-1]

hawing

Another "weather permitting" start. At least Rotowire indicates a 51% chance of rain.

Brewers:

2B Eric Sogard (L)

LF Eric Thames (L)

1B Jesus Aguilar ®

3B Travis Shaw (L)

RF Hernan Perez ®

C Manny Pina ®

CF Keon Broxton ®

SS Orlando Arcia ®

RHP Junior Guerra ®

Mets:

LF Michael Conforto (L)

SS Asdrubal Cabrera (S)

RF Jay Bruce (L)

2B Neil Walker (S)

1B Lucas Duda (L)

CF Curtis Granderson (L)

3B Wilmer Flores ®

C Rene Rivera ®

RHP Jacob de Grom (L)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

We've been utterly awful with runners at third this series. I mean I shouldn't complain too much after a 2-run first inning, but it's getting frustrating. So many of our hitters seem to want to hit a home run every time, even in situations where a sac fly or even a groundout would be enough.

We've been utterly awful with runners at third this series. I mean I shouldn't complain too much after a 2-run first inning, but it's getting frustrating. So many of our hitters seem to want to hit a home run every time, even in situations where a sac fly or even a groundout would be enough.

I share the frustration, but this is the same team we were lauding for their great collective approach at the plate just a couple weeks ago. They are slumping, it happens, and it will get better. They are better than this and probably not as good as they were. Doesn't make it less frustrating, but such is baseball.

I am not Shea Vucinich

From TH for the Sogard haters

There was pre-game talk about amazing patience at plate of Eric Sogard. In 44 plate appearances, he has 10 walks. Has .545 OBP.

:rolleyes I'd love to know who is a Sogard hater.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I remember at least 1 or 2 from a game thread when he was called up....surprised you don't.

But maybe they have changed their minds? :)

People wanted a prospect call up. It wasn't a thing against Sogard. People have been on that band wagon from the get go. How could you not be?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yeah no one hates Sogard. Go on Facebook on a day when he's not in the lineup and it's nothing but 'WHERE IS SOGARD???' If anything I'd say there's a little too much love.

The people known as haters are typically just correctly pointing out that Sogard is a veteran MLB journeyman of 1200+ career at-bats who is far more likely to revert to his career norms than he is likely to be having a major career renaissance at age 31.

Pleasantly surprised how well Guerra has done since coming back.

Some weren't giving him much hope to returning to what he was a year ago. Hope this continues.

How do you make the blue text that y'all use for sarcasm?

Go into the full editor and there is a sarcasm button, then just type whatever you want to say inside. Or highlight what you want in blue and hit the sarcasm button. OR type in the command manually that is below and put whatever you want to say on the inside(with a bracket on the right side obviously):

[sarcasm][/sarcasm

Pleasantly surprised how well Guerra has done since coming back.

Some weren't giving him much hope to returning to what he was a year ago. Hope this continues.

Injuries are what worry me most with him. His stats have been really good so far. Not many line drives and I think he has given up one extra base hit(a double) in his limited sample.

Would be huge to have him as a possible deadline trade piece or a building block for next years team that I think they will try to make competitive.

I hate to be that guy, but Guerra is going to make for an interesting trade case at the deadline if he keeps it up. He would have almost a year and a half of really fantastic numbers under his belt and you would have to think would fetch a haul at that point, especially with how much cheap control is available . If they think he's playing over his head, they might pull the trigger on an overpay offer.

On the other hand, if we're in contention at the end of July, Guerra would likely be a big reason why and trading him could take us right out of contention.

Based on the number of strikeouts that we racked up at the start of the year, and the number of free passes that our pitching staff gives up, I think it is critical to have a guy like Sogard at the top of our lineup. His ability to draw a walk and put the ball in play adds so much to our offense.

When I saw his name on the list of invites to spring training, I didn't think there was any way he would make the team. I'm glad we have him.

Archived