Brewer Fanatic

Should Thames be on DL?

I mentioned this in the game thread but if he's going to be day to day at all just DL him. He's struggling badly and his body isn't used to the MLB grind and length. He could probably use the 10 days and maybe we get him back in his April form rather than the guy who has gone 3 for 32. Meanwhile call up Phillips to get his feet wet in left every day and Aguilar will get regular reps at 1st.

I know Braun is already out so you hate to lose Thames' bat too but Thames in his current condition isn't very useful anyway . Sending him to the DL is probably the right move at the moment.

I'm for it. He's not young either so we might as well treat him like he's a 130 gamer anyways. I agree that Phillips should be called up and Aguilar should be playing 1B pretty much daily.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

As time goes on, you realize small nuances about players. I've noticed he walks like a robot. I now wonder if this is as a result of his leg injuries and not his normal gate. I'd have to go back and watch him earlier, but he looks extremely stiff, and that's just when he's walking.

I agree to throw him on the DL.

"There's more people to ignore in New York or in Boston than there are in Milwaukee, but I would still ignore them, probably."

-Zack Greinke

As time goes on, you realize small nuances about players. I've noticed he walks like a robot. I now wonder if this is as a result of his leg injuries and not his normal gate. I'd have to go back and watch him earlier, but he looks extremely stiff, and that's just when he's walking.

Yeah I've noticed that too. When you see just his upper body when walking, you'd think he was limping and barely able to walk. He did walk like that even when fit and running the bases normally, but it looks more pronounced now.

Anyway, regarding this and any other player really, I agree with the sentiment that if there's an injury, even a minor one, go on the DL instead of either playing through it or having a short bench. Exeption to that being things like contusions and such where we're talking 1-2 days and there's no risk of aggravating anything. We're not in a "must win now" mode, and we have players in the minors who we want to evaluate at some point. A 1-2 week stint for someone already on the 40-man roster isn't going to hurt us at all; even if they go down to AAA the rest of the season, having experienced the majors will probably help ahead of a hopefully permanent callup next season.

DFA Nick Franklin. No since keeping him if you have Sogard.

My choice would be to DL Thames. DFA Franklin and Reed to clear space, and bring up Cooper and Wren. Why not Phillips? 52 K's in 148 AB's at AAA. Whoever they brought up won't see a ton of action, so go with the two guys most likely to at least put balls in play vs. major league pitching in a limited role.

My choice would be to DL Thames. DFA Franklin and Reed to clear space, and bring up Cooper and Wren. Why not Phillips? 52 K's in 148 AB's at AAA. Whoever they brought up won't see a ton of action, so go with the two guys most likely to at least put balls in play vs. major league pitching in a limited role.

I'd be fine with a DFA of Franklin and Reed. Sogard is a better version of Franklin. Versatility is great but we don't need 3 guys on the roster that can play anywhere.

Reed is buried behind about 10 better OF options, isn't really young enough to be considered much of a prospect and isn't hitting in AA. Not really sure what he is still even doing on the 40. Seems like a prime DFA and try to flip for cash or PTBNL.

I'm neutral on Cooper coming up. I'm not crazy about the idea of another 1B only player, assuming he's not going to provide OF depth too. But at some point it would be nice to give him a shot and see if what he's doing in AAA this year is for real.

I don't agree on Wren over Phillips. It's hard to justify a singles hitter at a corner OF spot especially when you have 3 legitimate OF prospects in AAA who can get on base just as well. Maverick is going to strike out a lot but he's better than Wren in every other way.

I think considering the fact that it has been almost a month since his last HR and besides a really great couple games against the Reds he has been nothing special, I think a DL stint wouldn't be the worst thing.

I doubt it would be Cooper, and most likely Phillips, Brinson, or Cordell. With Braun gone they really need coverage in the OF, if they really need someone else to play 1st, Shaw can and the brewers have plenty of options at 3rd - Sogard, Franklin, Perez.

What would be really nice is if you DFA Franklin as many have suggested and bring up someone like Wren as a backup OF and one of the top prospects to play everyday. You don't mind a player like Wren sitting on the bench since he isn't in the long term future and is older.

Exactly! I would hate to see Phillips, Brinson or Cordell brought up just to sit on the bench, Wren is a MLB 4th outfielder and would be a very good one I think, solid D in all three positions, good speed contact hitter. They are playing Cordell at 3B just to get Wrens' bat in the lineup at CS. Speaking of which, does anybody know what kind of D he has at 3rd?

If I am a MLB GM and looking for a future 1B for my club, I would call DS and see what he would want for Cooper, not saying he would be an al-star, but the kid passes the eye test for me enough to give the Brewers a good relief pitcher to see if he translates to majors, which again I think he will if given the chance.

Franklin=Sogard One of the two, not both.

Micheal Reed, Had such high hopes and still look at the Shuckers box score everyday to see how he's doing. And not well to answer that. This kid needs a change of scenery. I understand why the decision was made to send him to AA, but you know it had to hurt his confidence. I even thought he might be a great candidate to take a Thames route to the majors. Just my two cents!

Finally, I would like to say thank you to all the mods and members at this site. I don't post a lot, but am here a couple of times a day to keep check on my team in greatest sport there is! Always entertaining and informative, even if some post get a little persnickity! Thanks to all of you! :)

I'm a bit surprised this hasn't been done yet. Who knows if the leg injuries are the main cause for his recent struggles, but either way it is pretty obvious that the guy needs some time off to rest his body and his mind. I'd be all for putting him on the 10 day DL and bringing up Phillips. What do you really have to lose right now, as Thames is literally giving us nothing at the plate - and you can't play him much in the OF with his lower body injuries. This would allow Aggy to play every game at 1B for the next 10 games, and would allow us to see what we might have in Phillips - with his hot start in AAA. Would love to get a test run with Cooper too, but I'd hate to take those valuable AB's away from Aggy right now, and I don't think Cooper has much positional versatility, right?

I'm a bit surprised this hasn't been done yet. Who knows if the leg injuries are the main cause for his recent struggles, but either way it is pretty obvious that the guy needs some time off to rest his body and his mind. I'd be all for putting him on the 10 day DL and bringing up Phillips. What do you really have to lose right now, as Thames is literally giving us nothing at the plate - and you can't play him much in the OF with his lower body injuries. This would allow Aggy to play every game at 1B for the next 10 games, and would allow us to see what we might have in Phillips - with his hot start in AAA. Would love to get a test run with Cooper too, but I'd hate to take those valuable AB's away from Aggy right now, and I don't think Cooper has much positional versatility, right?

Is this Roenicke, or Yost?

Could it be there's now a "book" on Thames? Nobody knew how to pitch him in April, maybe now they do. I really don't think the training staff would have him play LF if he was injured. Is he hurt? Maybe, but if any of you have had a bad knew, hip, whatever, sometimes it's something that's always there and doesn't necessarily get better with rest or worse playing with it.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Could it be there's now a "book" on Thames? Nobody knew how to pitch him in April, maybe now they do. I really don't think the training staff would have him play LF if he was injured. Is he hurt? Maybe, but if any of you have had a bad knew, hip, whatever, sometimes it's something that's always there and doesn't necessarily get better with rest or worse playing with it.

I'm sure that's part of it. From what I've seen they've been pitching away away away to him. He just has to capitalize on mistakes. Good news is that he's still drawing walks.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yep. Thames needs to get healthy. Franklin is worthless. I'll vote Cooper. WTH.

I'd like to see Cooper get called up as well, just to hear "Coooooop" again from the Brewer crowd. I also think he should be forced to take uniform number 15. Too bad he's not a lefty batter.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Yea constantly getting pitched away now and he's willing to take the walks. Teams are probably fine with it too since Braun isn't there. I've actually said for years the most impressive thing about Braun is that he's managed to completely adjust to getting pitched almost exclusively low and away, and he still manages to hit the ball hard and produce (when healthy of course). It's not an easy thing to do, hopefully Thames figures it out. Regardless the walks should be there though and he'll still be a solid hitter

Archived