Brewer Fanatic

Braun Back on the DL

On one hand you have Sheets and Braun, superstars who never had major injuries but were hurt all the time. And then you have Fielder who didn't miss a game for a few years until he got the flu.

And was out of the league by his 32 birthday.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Phillips deserves the call more than Brinson. Plus he gives us another lefty for the lineup.

Garrett Cooper "deserves" the call more than anyone at AAA and he played some in LF last year. But my guess is nobody gets the call. They'll just use the spot for Guerra.

Clearly they're going to have a discussion about what to do since they didn't announce it last night, but the obvious move does seem like Braun to DL, Guerra takes his spot.

I think we're getting to the point though where Sogard is going to stay on the roster because he has no options left and that leaves very little reason to keep Franklin. I would also like Perez to keep his flexibility and give guys days off everywhere and kinda don't want him just stuck in LF for the next 2 weeks (or longer, sounds like Braun could be out longer than 10 days on this one, re-aggravating the injury means they will probably be extra careful with him).

I think this is the perfect time to give Brinson a tryout, a guaranteed window to give him some regular playing time (if he struggles, let Perez take a few starts out there) and then you can send him down for a few weeks when Braun comes back. It's entirely possible we're already past the Super 2 window, although the org would obviously like to play it safe there.

So even though I think Guerra taking Braun's spot on the 25-man is the obvious move, I would also DFA Franklin and call up Brinson, since Sogard is effectively providing that bench spot that Franklin was being used for already.

Geeze some of you guys really hate Braun eh? :rolleyes 33 isn't exactly young in athletics and he admitted he came back too early. Hopefully they just take their time with this and let him get back to 100%.

People hold grudges. Most hold athletes to a higher standard than they do themselves. It's not going to change and it's too bad.

Little bit different circumstance with Braun than most athletes. Yes the whole signing a $105M extension while he was on PEDs which essentially robs us now, tends to rub me the wrong way, especially if his rash of injuries now is related to his past PED use.

I think Phillips deserves the call more than Brinson. Plus he gives us another lefty for the lineup.

Garrett Cooper "deserves" the call more than anyone at AAA and he played some in LF last year. But my guess is nobody gets the call. They'll just use the spot for Guerra.

If he can play a passable LF, then sure. I just didn't think he was much other than a 1B. Since we have Thames and Aguilar, it is tough to call up another 1B which is why I went Phillips over Brinson. Brinson has an OPS of about .700 or so on the road. Phillips is hitting on the road as well.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Geeze some of you guys really hate Braun eh? :rolleyes 33 isn't exactly young in athletics and he admitted he came back too early. Hopefully they just take their time with this and let him get back to 100%.

People hold grudges. Most hold athletes to a higher standard than they do themselves. It's not going to change and it's too bad.

Little bit different circumstance with Braun than most athletes. Yes the whole signing a $105M extension while he was on PEDs which essentially robs us now, tends to rub me the wrong way, especially if his rash of injuries now is related to his past PED use.

You keep saying us. He's not robbing you. He's not robbing anyone. He's getting his fair market value for the player he is. You act like PED suspensions stop you from ever signing a contract again. He's not holding this franchise down one bit with the money they are paying him now or even in the future as the guys they will have are all pre-arby or just getting into arby. The only reason you have beef is because he broke your heart. I'm sure if he could, he would apologize to you. I'll see what I can do on that end of this for you.

Could you also get him to apologize to us for this?

Ryan Braun, February 2012

"If I had done this intentionally, or unintentionally, I'd be the first one to step up and say 'I did it.' By no means am I perfect, but if I have ever made any mistakes in my life, I have taken responsibility for my actions...I truly believe in my heart, and would bet my life that this substance never entered my body at any point."

He then blamed others for tarnishing his name, and that he was putting the game ahead of himself:

"There were a lot of times when I wanted to come out and tell the entire story, to attack everybody as I’ve been attacked, as my name’s been dragged through the mud as everything I’ve worked for my entire life was called into question. There were a lot of times I wanted to come out, tell the entire story, but at the end of the day I recognized what’s actually best for the game of baseball and I put that ahead of what was actually best for myself."

He claimed he was fighting for others that were wrongly accused:

"I’ve always stood up for what is right. Today is about everybody who’s been wrongly accused, and everybody who’s ever had to stand up for what is actually right...I will continue to take the high road because that’s who I am, and that’s the way that I’ve lived my life. We won because the truth is on my side."

And wanted everybody to know that he was the victim:

"I am a victim of a process that completely broke down and failed the way it was applied to me in this case."

But instead of taking the high road, he then suggested that the test collector was up to no good and wondered aloud if somebody was framing him:

"What could have possibly happened to it during that 44-hour period (before the collector took the urine sample to FedEx)? There were a lot of things that we learned about the collector, about the collection process, about the way that the entire thing worked that made us very concerned and very suspicious about what could have actually happened...We spoke to biochemists and scientists and we asked them, ‘How difficult would it be to tamper with somebody’s sample?’ And their response was that, ‘If they were motivated, it would be extremely easy.’"

Ryan Braun....does leading the league in throwing others under the bus (or the FedEx Truck) increase your WAR?

This guy is a joke.

He did apologize for that, just like everyone gives BS apologies. And the collector did not do his job properly.

Can't say I am surprised then if some Brewer fans did not accept his "BS Apology". That's their right.

This guy is a joke.

The only joke is not moving forward and becoming a better person when you do something as dumb as he did. He's done that. He can't do much more than he already has for it. Doesn't mean you have to forget the mistakes but to hold a grudge or hate the guy because of it after he has clearly changed his ways in his life is a bit silly. Doesn't shock me though. Like I said, people love to tear others down, especially celebrities/athletes. If they ever make a mistake, "normal" folk pounce as if their crap don't stink.

This guy is a joke.

The only joke is not moving forward and becoming a better person when you do something as dumb as he did. He's done that. He can't do much more than he already has for it. Doesn't mean you have to forget the mistakes but to hold a grudge or hate the guy because of it after he has clearly changed his ways in his life is a bit silly. Doesn't shock me though. Like I said, people love to tear others down, especially celebrities/athletes. If they ever make a mistake, "normal" folk pounce as if their crap don't stink.

Taking PED's when it was banned was dumb.

Lying about it when caught instead of taking responsibility showed his true character.

Don't want this clown to be my son's favorite Brewer, baseball player or athlete. Simple as that.

You keep saying us. He's not robbing you. He's not robbing anyone. He's getting his fair market value for the player he is. You act like PED suspensions stop you from ever signing a contract again. He's not holding this franchise down one bit with the money they are paying him now or even in the future as the guys they will have are all pre-arby or just getting into arby. The only reason you have beef is because he broke your heart. I'm sure if he could, he would apologize to you. I'll see what I can do on that end of this for you.

And the only reason you defend him is because he's been a Brewer his entire career. If he were a member of a rival team you would think he was the dirtbag that the rest of the league already thinks of him as.

Fair market value? Well that's debatable, at this rate of injury he's not going to be worth $19M a year because he's simply not going to be available enough, but that's not really my point. My point is he signed a dishonest extension based on our belief that he was a clean player. Now we're stuck with him for 4 more years at $19M per and his body is completely breaking down at 33 -- I'll ask again -- do you really think that's a coincidence? I never said that PED use precludes a player from ever receiving a contract again, but don't you think that the Brewers might have been a little hesitant post-scandal to lock him up for 9 figures through his age 38 season? Don't you think they might have instead thought, "Nah, let's see how this first contract plays out first." ?

Whether or not this interferes with the Brewers' future plans or holds them down has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. Nothing. You don't throw $19M a year at a guy and just kind of excuse it because we can work around it. That doesn't make it okay.

And Braun wouldn't apologize to me unless his agent or publicist thought it was in his best interests to do so. I drank the kool-aid for a long, long time. Don't buy for a second that anything was genuine or that he just "made a mistake". It is what it is now, we have to move forward, but how people can still defend Braun and want him as a lifelong Brewer icon, I just don't know. There's a lot more there than just "he did PED's."

This guy is a joke.

Taking PED's when it was banned was dumb.

Lying about it when caught instead of taking responsibility showed his true character.

Don't want this clown to be my son's favorite Brewer, baseball player or athlete. Simple as that.

So present all of it to your son and let him choose.

The character of a person can change. People can change. Some of these athletes/celebs get caught up in themselves because of the field they are in and the people they surround themselves with. Some don't change but others do something like he did and realize how ridiculous it was and change. I've seen enough from him in his efforts and the way he's molded his life now with his family that I believe he learned a lesson for many lifetimes. He will have to explain that to his own children someday and that is probably enough for any person.

And the only reason you defend him is because he's been a Brewer his entire career. If he were a member of a rival team you would think he was the dirtbag that the rest of the league already thinks of him as.

Don't put words in my mouth. You don't know me. I used to be disgusted by dudes that took roids/PED's and then I realized I really didn't give a crap. They're humans. They make human errors like you and I. Why am I holding them to a different standard just because they play a game? I don't say a damn thing about any other PED guy.

I would actually say the only reason you even have such strong feelings is because your feelings were hurt because you idolized him. If he was a free agent signing, you wouldn't have this distain for him like you do. Emotions run both ways man.

And some Brewer fans are huge Braun apologists. And that's certainly their right to be.

No one should be taking anything personally.

Opinions are like....

...everyone has one.

Reading others perspective on the Brew Crew is what makes Brewerfan.net so popular of a forum.

He had no choice but to lie, every player caught for this has lied. Big Papi still is to this day and is going to walk into eh Hall right next to Pudge. What was he gonna do, beat the case and then admit it? his mistake aside from doing it to begin with was so adamantly defending himself, knowing that he'd done it he should have been humble. He had to deny it but should have done it while just blaming it flaws in the testing system, mistakes happen, blah blah and get off the topic.

Hey, it kept him on the field with that injury late in 2011 (groin I think?) and it almost got us a title...

This guy is a joke.

So what proof is there that he became a better person and "clearly changed his ways in his life"? That's your prerogative to believe that; personally for me there's only so many times I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt before they lose it.

I'll cheer for Braun to do good as long as he's wearing the Brewer uniform, even though I wish he wasn't. Don't personally believe that any of his act or apologies has been genuine. That's MY prerogative.

Don't put words in my mouth. You don't know me. I used to be disgusted by dudes that took roids/PED's and then I realized I really didn't give a crap. They're humans. They make human errors like you and I. Why am I holding them to a different standard just because they play a game? I don't say a damn thing about any other PED guy.

I would actually say the only reason you even have such strong feelings is because your feelings were hurt because you idolized him. If he was a free agent signing, you wouldn't have this distain for him like you do. Emotions run both ways man.

You literally said "The only reason you have beef is because he broke your heart" in the previous post, and then you got mad and said "Don't put words in my mouth. You don't know me" when I did the same thing in response, and then you put words in my mouth again, saying "I would actually say the only reason you even have such strong feelings is because your feelings were hurt because you idolized him.....If he was a free agent signing, you wouldn't have this distain for him like you do".

That's a little hypocritical, don't you think?

Yea I don't put any stock in the public images presented by any athlete, celebrity, politician. Over and over they're proven to be complete frauds. But to Brew4u, so are most average joes too. They just don't have a camera on them

You literally said "The only reason you have beef is because he broke your heart" in the previous post, and then got mad and said "Don't put words in my mouth. You don't know me" when I did the same thing in response, and then did it again. That's a little hypocritical, don't you think?

Because you admitted to having hurt feelings, even after writing a piece defending him. See the difference? You tried to make a claim about me that you know nothing about.

And some Brewer fans are huge Braun apologists. And that's certainly their right to be.

No one should be taking anything personally.

Opinions are like....

...everyone has one.

Reading others perspective on the Brew Crew is what makes Brewerfan.net so popular of a forum.

It is refreshing to see you post this. I absolutely agree with you.

Because you admitted to having hurt feelings, even after writing a piece defending him. See the difference? You tried to make a claim about me that you know nothing about.

Never once did I claim to have "hurt feelings" about Braun. I simply pointed out that I've been on the other side of the fence too. That doesn't tell you anything about me other than that I used to share your viewpoint on this.

My feelings aren't hurt. I just have a different perspective on this than I used to.

Braun was never a bad person to begin with. He's always seemed like a pretty nice, considerate person.

He did PEDs, which obviously wasn't good. The results of his failed test then got improperly leaked (*giggle*), essentially forcing him to lie, as he and his legal team knew that there was a screw-up in the handling of the sample, meaning that he could possibly win the appeal.

OMG BUT HE LIED. HE LIIIIIEED.

We all would have lied. Had his failed test not been made public, he would've gone about the appeal without any of us knowing and won without having to put up a facade. Of course, he then would've been caught in the later investigation, anyway, but then everyone could forgive him because he wasn't a LYING LIAR.

None of that makes him a bad person. He broke the rules and ended up in a media circus. Some of how it played out (other than the actual taking of PEDs) was his fault, some wasn't. Since then, he has been a good player who seems like a pretty cool dude, but because he has dealt with nagging injuries and makes a lot of money, we get all pissy and fall back on grudges as a way to feel better about our best player not being able to contribute.

Archived