Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Wednesday 5/24

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Wednesday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Colorado Springs: LHP Josh Hader at home vs. New Orleans (Marlins), 7:10 PM pre-game, 7:40 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Dan Karcher, the longtime play-by-play voice of the Sky Sox is on Twitter @SkySoxKarch; joining him again this season is Dan Acheson (@Dan_Acheson)

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Colorado Springs games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $49.99 season-long package ($12.99 to pay for a single month). The audio feed is from the home team. The video of each game is archived online, which is a nice feature. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

NOTE: Notice that on MiLB.TV's page, you can click on "Filter", then "Milwaukee Brewers", and you'll see just the Crew's organizational TV lineup.

Biloxi: RHP Taylor Jungmann at Tennessee (Cubs), 5:45 PM pre-game, 6:00 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Chris Harris is the play-by-play voice of the Shuckers. Follow Chris on Twitter @CHarris731. We'll be linking to his fantastic "Shuck Dynasty" blog. Erik Bremer (@Erik_Bremer) joins Chris often. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be radio broadcast.

MiLB.TV - Eight of the ten Southern League teams telecast their home games, and Biloxi is among them. Only games in Chattanooga and Mobile won't be available.

Carolina: RHP Cody Ponce and TBD in a doubleheader at Down East (Rangers), 9:45 AM pre-game, 10:00 gametime; each contest slated for seven innings

Free Live Audio Link

We look forward to Mudcats audio with Greg Young (@gregyoungjr), especially after going without gameday audio for much of the Brewers' stay in Brevard County.

MiLB.TV - Yes, Carolina home games will be on MiLB.TV, sweet. It appears three other Carolina League teams (Salem, Myrtle Beach, and Winston-Salem) broadcast as well.

Wisconsin: RHP Trey Supak and LHP Cameron Roegner in a doubleheader at Beloit (Athletics), 4:10 PM pre-game, 4:30 gametime; each contest slated for seven innings

Free Live Audio Link

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

MiLB.TV - Eight of the 16 Midwest League teams telecast their home games, and Wisconsin, once again, is among them. We'll let you know when a road TV feed is available.

In 2017, fifteen games will be broadcast on Spectrum Sports in Wisconsin, available on channel 32 and in HD on channel 1332. We'll keep you posted with our "DVR Alerts" days in advance.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Look for these just prior to the respective game times --

Colorado Springs Media Notes - Linked on the Sky Sox official blog

Biloxi Media Notes - Linked on the Shuck Dynasty blog

Carolina Media Notes - Linked on the Mudcats official blog

Wisconsin Media Notes - Linked on the Rattler Radio blog

STANDINGS:

AAA - Pacific Coast League American Northern Division

AA - Southern League South Division

High-A - Carolina League Southern Division

A - Midwest League Western Division

Sortable individual stat pages:

Colorado Springs

Biloxi

Carolina

Wisconsin

Weather.com:

Colorado Springs, CO

Kodak, TN

Kinston, NC

Beloit, WI

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Happy 28th Birthday to the Shuckers' Aaron Wilkerson

http://www.milb.com/images/658792/t5015/180x270/658792.jpg

FYI -- Unfortunately, none of the outposts on Wisconsin's 11-game road trip through June 1st utilizes MiLB.TV. Also, the Mudcats games in Kinston, NC Wednesday and Thursday are not on MiLB.TV.

Ponce with another good outing, though his strikeout rate continues to dip. He has command issues in that he fills up the zone a little too much with his fastball and cutter. It's a refusal to risk walking guys taken a little too much to an extreme. His curve and change are both still works in progress, at least from what I've seen.

In that they are about the same size, I think a natural comparison is with Trey Supak. While Ponce has a better fastball, Supak has done a better job this year with moving his arsenal around the zone, up, down, in, out. I'd also put Supak's much improved curve ahead of Ponce's cutter/slider at the moment.

Ponce tosses first career CG in 7-2 game one victory

Isan Diaz hit a grand slam as the Mudcats won game one of Wednesday's doubleheader

By Gregory Young / Carolina Mudcats | May 24, 2017 4:31 PM ET

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/0/0/6/231792006/cuts/16x9_CodyPonce1_rr56p2d5_shvfg9vd.jpg

Cody Ponce pitching for the 2017 Carolina Mudcats at Five County Stadium. (NIKOLAUS - Carolina Mudcats)

Cody Ponce (7 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 0 BB, 3 K) picked up his 5th win of the season in this 7 inning complete game. A 2 run home run in the 6th were the only runs he gave up.

Luis Aviles was 2-3 with the only multi-hit game for the Mudcats today. Cooper Hummel (1-2, 2B, BB) also contributed along with the big blow, a grand slam by Isan Diaz in the 5th inning which, for all intents and purposes, put this game away.

Carolina Box Score

Carolina Game Log

The 6 run 5th inning which put the game away:

Carolina Top of the 5th

Trent Clark singles on a ground ball to shortstop Josh Morgan.

Luis Aviles doubles (7) on a line drive to left fielder Eduard Pinto. Trent Clark to 3rd.

Cooper Hummel walks.

Weston Wilson singles on a line drive to left fielder Eduard Pinto. Trent Clark scores. Luis Aviles to 3rd. Cooper Hummel to 2nd.

Corey Ray out on a sacrifice fly to left fielder Eduard Pinto. Luis Aviles scores.

Troy Stokes Jr. singles on a ground ball to left fielder Eduard Pinto. Cooper Hummel to 3rd. Weston Wilson to 2nd.

Isan Diaz hits a grand slam (8) to right field. Cooper Hummel scores. Weston Wilson scores. Troy Stokes Jr.

Jake Gatewood grounds out, shortstop Josh Morgan to first baseman Josh Altmann.

Lucas Erceg grounds out, shortstop Josh Morgan to first baseman Josh Altmann.

From today's game notes we have BABIP for various players:

Aviles .327, Belonis .341, Clark .326, Diaz .321, Erceg .220, Gatewood .418, Ghelfi .378, McDowell .259, Ray .386, Stokes .244 and Wilson .328. Erceg and Ray stand out for me. Greg Young mentioned a couple of games ago that Erceg was in the bottom 3 in the whole league in this category so maybe he's hitting in some bad luck. Ray has been hitting a lot better lately and it seems to be reflected in this number.

Mudcats shutout by Davis and Fiegl in game two

The Mudcats finished with a split in Wednesday's twin bill in Kinston

By Gregory Young / Carolina Mudcats | May 24, 2017 4:35 PM ET

16x9_McDowellFans_zo9qoqt3_9luxfslg.jpg

One ground ball through the infield by Max McDowell and one walk to Troy Stokes Jr. was it for the Mudcats' offense in game 2 today. Jose Oquendo played his first game for Carolina.

Marcos Diplan (5 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 2 BB, 5 K) started and took the loss. His struggles this year continue. Quintin Torres-Costa worked a scoreless 6th.

Carolina Game Two Box Score

Carolina Game Two Log

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
What Feliciano is doing as an 18 year old in A ball is pretty darn impressive.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Toby, maybe Prince is following the plan. First pound the zone. Then learn to be more precise within the zone. Doesn't help trying to be cute if you can't throw a strike to start with

Would you say Ponce or Burnes has the higher MLB upside?

It's close. Ponce has a better chance to stick as a starter due to his arm action, but for me Burnes has the better breaking stuff and does a better job driving the ball down in the zone. It seems like Burnes has been maintaining velocity just fine as well, which is a great sign. I also like Burnes' sequencing more right now. He does a great job of keeping hitters off balance.

So I'd take Burnes, but it's really close. If/when Ponce finds his location a bit better/gets the fastball down more consistently, I reserve the right to flip flop.

Would you say Ponce or Burnes has the higher MLB upside?

It's close. Ponce has a better chance to stick as a starter due to his arm action, but for me Burnes has the better breaking stuff and does a better job driving the ball down in the zone. It seems like Burnes has been maintaining velocity just fine as well, which is a great sign. I also like Burnes' sequencing more right now. He does a great job of keeping hitters off balance.

So I'd take Burnes, but it's really close. If/when Ponce finds his location a bit better/gets the fastball down more consistently, I reserve the right to flip flop.

I miss your Power 50s. Just sayin'.

I noted it on Twitter, but his slider just completely lacked bite and he was missing out over the plate with it. This was exacerbated by not having FB command and lack of trust in his change. He looked genuinely frustrated out there.

I know it's been beaten to death, but they really need to figure out a solution to the Colorado Springs problem. It's becoming one of the more serious big picture issues with this franchise right now. It's literally ruining our top pitching prospects.

It's probably going to hurt our hitting prospects when they first come up too, at least initially. You go from an environment where balls just don't break as much and all of a sudden they start breaking a lot more and you're missing pitches that you would normally hit because they aren't going where you expect. A curveball you expect to be at you knees is now at your shins.

Coulter & Nottingham continuing to heat up a bit is huge for that line up. Hopefully come June they both refine their power stroke. Both guys are too strong & have too much natural power to not find it. If those two start to hit the way they are capable, Biloxi can really start rolling.

Maybe it's just being in Colorado inflating Phillips a little bit but my goodness is he just crushing the ball this season. The power from last year is starting to meet his hitting from two years ago. The Ks are still killers though and still hasn't been the same Brett who was a walk machine. Happy to see him rebound! He just has the personality you really cheer for & would love to have on your big league club! Def would be a fan favorite.

Woodruff & Hader last few times out in Colorado have had rough times. Glad Brewers stayed so their top pitching prospects can go to drown every year....They need out.

Super Mario at 18 all season in Wisconsin is mind blowing & I second the comment above! Nice thing is, while his bat is nice, I don't think it is yet to point where it is so advanced that his catching would take back seat. I know there are concerns about him moving off due to how advanced bat is over defense but at his age.... you do everything possible to develop him back there! He is too special of a bat for that position. He can go one level a year developing & still break MLB at age 22 season for 1st full season! All tools are there.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

No doubt CS has an impact on so.e more than others. But I also really wonder about player development in this organization for pitchers. And in hindsight, quite seriously, would they have been better off just not having a AAA affiliate until they find a decent location? Just add another A affiliate for 2-4 years?

Sox Drop Game Two Of Series, 14-4

Orf, De Jesus lead offense.

By Robby Veronesi / Colorado Springs Sky Sox

05_06_1037_pk_sgkluw2h_oyk8xrhc.jpg

Ivan De Jesus drove in a run and recorded his third three-hit game of the season Wednesday night against New Orleans. (Paat Kelly)

Colorado Springs Box Score

Quick Summary:

Josh Hader threw batting practice today...during the game. It was an ugly day for him giving up 8(!) runs in just 3 innings of work. The Brewers top pitching prospect now sports a 5.81 ERA on the year.

The offense didn't fair much better today scoring just 4 runs on 8 hits. On the bright side Lewis Brinson returned to the lineup after missing time with an injury.

Pitching Summary:

On the mound, Josh Hader (3 IP, 9 hits, 8 ER, 3 BB, 4 HR, 2K) started the game while Andrew Barbosa (2 IP, 5 ER,2K), Andy Oliver (1 IP, ER), Stephen Kohlscheen pitched two scoreless innings, and David Goforth pitched a scoreless inning.

Hitting Summary:

Lewis Brinson (returned from injury, 1-5)

Brett Phillips (1-3, 2B, 3B, RBI)

Ivan De Jesus Jr. (3-4, 2B, RBI)

Colorado Springs Game Log

New Orleans Top of the 3rd

-Peter Mooney singles on a line drive to right fielder Brett Phillips, deflected by first baseman Garrett Cooper.

-Steve Lombardozzi Jr. walks. Peter Mooney to 2nd.

-Brandon Barnes doubles (6) on a line drive to left fielder Ryan Cordell. Peter Mooney scores. Steve Lombardozzi Jr. Brandon Barnes advances to 3rd, on a throwing error by shortstop Yadiel Rivera.

-Destin Hood homers (10) on a fly ball to left center field. Brandon Barnes scores.

-Tomas Telis singles on a line drive to center fielder Lewis Brinson.

-Moises Sierra grounds into a double play, pitcher Josh Hader to second baseman Nate Orf to first baseman Garrett Cooper. Tomas Telis out at 2nd.

-Matt Juengel singles on a ground ball to center fielder Lewis Brinson.

-Mike Aviles flies out to center fielder Lewis Brinson.

Archived