Brewer Fanatic

Speculating about the unseen Battle Brewing between Stearns & Attanasio

We should be making decisions based on the standings and the talent level of the teams we're chasing. We're 2nd in the division against the defending World Series champions who are much more talented than we are. We're 4.5 games out of the 2nd wildcard.

Our schedule doesn't offer many breaks at all. Nationals, Cubs, Cards and Rays in our next 12. Still have a 9 game road trip and have to come back right after that with 4 games against the Nationals. Still have 6 against the Cubs in September. Still have 8 games against the Pirates who we're 3-8 against.

It would be absolutely moronic for us to buy right now.

Baseball Prospectus has the Brewers playoff odds at ~25%. Who is right? Which number are we using to make decisions? Given that we have 2 playoff appearances in 35 seasons, I’m going to say that is better odds than you’d expect in any given year. If the Brewers decide to buy, Im going to say it is unlikely to be moronic; but a deeper analysis that whatever shortterm gains are valuable enough to exceed whatever prospect or monetary capital are given up. I have enough faith in Stearns in that regard.

And Im not a particularly big Stearns fan so far based off his inaction to correct the development system underperformance. I guess that is why you shouldnt keep the old front office employed after you relieve them of there duties.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

?

Gordon is 8th in the NL in hits this year, was suspended half of 2016, led the NL in hits in 2015 and was 5th in 2014. He can definitely hit, he just can't draw a walk.

He gets a lot of singles because he has a manager that puts him at the top of the order because he's fast. Getting a lot of singles doesn't exactly equate to "hitting" (IMO of course). He carries a really pedestrian OBP, has slugged over .400 once, and really only has plus value if he hits over .300, which isn't exactly a given.

We should be making decisions based on the standings and the talent level of the teams we're chasing. We're 2nd in the division against the defending World Series champions who are much more talented than we are. We're 4.5 games out of the 2nd wildcard.

Our schedule doesn't offer many breaks at all. Nationals, Cubs, Cards and Rays in our next 12. Still have a 9 game road trip and have to come back right after that with 4 games against the Nationals. Still have 6 against the Cubs in September. Still have 8 games against the Pirates who we're 3-8 against.

It would be absolutely moronic for us to buy right now.

I agree with the thought that we would be really dumb to empty our system at this point in time. The goal should be to win a championship and not just slip into the playoffs. Absolute best case scenario for this team is squeaking into the playoffs where we would most likely have to beat both LA and Washington to make it to the world series.

Does anyone really think that we are good enough to beat one much less both of these teams. Good thing we faded before making a stupid trade giving away the prospects we have spent the last few years building up. Stearns wants to build a sustainable winner and he knows that trading Brinson and a few other good prospects for Sonny Gray or someone of that ilk is the fastest way back to irrelevancy.

After the Gomez trade, I spoke to an Astros-fan friend of mine (who is a former GM of a minor league team so he has some clue what he's talking about), and he said something to the effect of "we have to trade talented guys away, or we'll lose them to Rule 5."

I think the Brewers need to be mindful of that. Stearns has done a great job of stockpiling the minors, and I expect him to continue to do that. Meanwhile, as the guys make their way through the minors, he needs to determine which of the prospects to keep, and which ones to use in trade. Sometimes it makes sense to trade the veteran and replace him with the prospect, and sometimes it makes sense to trade prospects.

We have a boatload of outfielders throughout the system. Dipping into that pool to help the MLB team, especially if it's for a guy with team control, could be a good move. But it has to be strategic. Emptying out the farm will probably never be something Stearns will do.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

After the Gomez trade, I spoke to an Astros-fan friend of mine (who is a former GM of a minor league team so he has some clue what he's talking about), and he said something to the effect of "we have to trade talented guys away, or we'll lose them to Rule 5."

I think the Brewers need to be mindful of that. Stearns has done a great job of stockpiling the minors, and I expect him to continue to do that. Meanwhile, as the guys make their way through the minors, he needs to determine which of the prospects to keep, and which ones to use in trade. Sometimes it makes sense to trade the veteran and replace him with the prospect, and sometimes it makes sense to trade prospects.

We have a boatload of outfielders throughout the system. Dipping into that pool to help the MLB team, especially if it's for a guy with team control, could be a good move. But it has to be strategic. Emptying out the farm will probably never be something Stearns will do.

I think they had this in mind with Garrett Cooper, though it hasn't worked out well so far. I can't really think of too many guys that are realistically at risk of not being protected who carry any significant value on their own other than a 3rd or 4th piece of a bigger trade.

Archived