Brewer Fanatic

Midseason promotions

adambr2

Strictly within the farm system,

Burnes to AA

Supak to A+

Dubon to AAA

Possibly: Diaz to AA, Ray to AA, Clark to AA, Ponce to AA, Medeiros to AA, Peralta to AA? Maybe Ortiz to AAA, but the AA/AAA movement is a little different for our pitchers for obvious reasons.

Am I missing any significant ones? This is all subjective, of course; I really don't think Medeiros for instance seems fully ready yet, but at some point you do have to push the guys getting to be a year or two away from Rule 5 status to figure out if they can make the jump or not, and he'll have had a full year and a half in High A.

If it were up to me, these are all the promotions I would be looking to make sometime between June 1 and July 31, assuming there's room on the new team's roster/rotation (for example, Brinson to majors if there's playing time available, Ortiz/Wilkerson to AAA if there'd be room for them in the rotation). I'm more going on whether or not I think these players have proven themselves at their current level and are ready for the next one:

AAA to Majors: Brinson, Woodruff, Cooper, Cordell, Wren, Espino, Cravy, Wang, Suter, Blazek, Archer (obviously I think we have a lot of guys who are ready to contribute, but many are blocked by guys who are doing pretty well right now, so not sure how this will shake out)

AA to AAA: Dubon, Ortiz, Derby, Ramirez, Ramsey (this guy needs to get up, he's been killing AA for a few years now), Ventura (he was moved up to replace Espino, I'm assuming he'll be sent back to AA now that Espino's coming back)

AA to Majors: Lopez, Wilkerson

A+ to AA: Gatewood, Diaz, Ray, Clark, Burnes, Ponce, Peralta, Griep

A to A+: Supak (Orimiloye and Feliciano are doing great but both too young and unproven to promote, would rather see them have a full good year in Appleton before promoting), Harrison (let him get out of Appleton, even though he's been struggling, he needs to be shown that we have some faith in him similar to Brett Phillips this year).

Obviously a lot of these guys aren't getting promoted this quickly, just due to not having space on the new team for them to get playing time. But we'll see how it all shakes out in June/July.

The no brainers to me are (in order):

1. Corbin Burnes to AA

2. Trey Supak to A+

3. Jake Gatewood to AA

4. Isan Diaz to AA

5. Mauricio Dubon to AAA

Burnes/Supak and Diaz/Dubon make sense because one gets moved up and the other follows behind to take their place. As for Gatewood, he wouldn't really be taking any playing time away from any important prospects at AA, but I'm not immediately sure who would replace him at A+.

In the interest of moving Corey Ray forward, I think a midseason promotion for him is coming, and let Monte Harrison pick up the slack there at A+.

I'm sure there are a lot more complicated conversations happening for stuff like this, in terms of you probably want balance to all your minor league teams but you don't want to stunt development, and it's a case-by-case basis with more information on these players than I can glean from a stat sheet. Always exciting to see guys get moved up though.

I get the feeling that the Brewers want to keep the Clark/Diaz/Gatewood/Ray group together, so there's a possibility they all spend most of, if not all of, the year in Carolina. Maybe Ray excluded. I don't think any of them are beating down the door for promotion. With Gatewood, for instance, there's still a lot of swing and miss in his approach, and to some extent his success at the plate has been BABIP-driven. I want to see what happens when the line drives start to drop off.

Dubon I wouldn't rush, either. He hasn't gotten back to hitting with the power he found last year in AA.

I'd like to see Burnes and Supak both bumped. Those are the only two top 50 prospect type guys I can think who might be imminently close to a promotion, though.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

With Gatewood, for instance, there's still a lot of swing and miss in his approach

a good reminder that development doesn't mean productions success... I'm sure (or at least hope) that our coaches have milestones for each player for development activities to work on and not just "his OPS is over 850, push him up" approach.

For the list of promotions, I'd add Woodruff to MLB to the list.

I think they need to slow down the promotions. They have been very aggressive for a while now, maybe this is the time to take a pause. Unless someone is clearly above their level (like Burnes and Supak) just let them stay where they're at and have some success. Sure, a bullpen arm here and there will be promoted too. Parker Berberet comes to mind.

Can't think of anyone else worth pushing. Brinson is 5th on his team in OPS. He's having a good year, but in CS it's not like his numbers are dominant. Phillips is actually way above him. No rush to get Dubon up to AAA. Let him come up to AAA next year with Betancourt.

Even Diaz and Gatewood I would like to see stay in A+, maybe get a taste of AA at the end of the year. Ray, Clark, and Erceg have no business in AA yet. Harrison is finally healthy, just leave him alone and see if he can really come on in Appleton.

Most of these guys are not dominating, I think sometimes it helps progression by letting guys have a bigger taste of success.

We really have to stop expecting the baseline of video game results for our players in Colorado.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Community Moderator
I'm in the less is more camp for promotions at this point. Those that are overly dominant, sure. Supak and Burnes...fair enough. Easy enough to make room and Supak replaces Burnes. This is our first year in Carolina, perhaps keeping the affiiliate happy is a goal too. If someone forces the hand, great. Otherwise let it play out and gain some stability.

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

We really have to stop expecting the baseline of video game results for our players in Colorado.

Why? When the entire roster is hitting over .750, top prospects really should have video game type numbers.

Not true. A good chunk of them are but either way expecting every player to go through there and OPS 1.000 is silly to me. If you based your judgement of a player just on his AAA stats, then you're not a very good evaluator. Which was my point to your comment of Brinson being only 5th on the team in OPS. If the Brewers feel he's done his work enough in AAA, and they have a role for him at the major league level, whether he is 1st or 10th in OPS really doesn't make much difference.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

No, and that wasn't my point. I'm not saying at all that just because he's 5th on the team in OPS he wouldn't be able to be successful this year in Milwaukee. My point is Brinson isn't in a position where he's destroying AAA pitching to the degree that it's foolish to keep him there. If he was able to sustain 1.100, then at some point you say he just has to be called up.

It's not that he CAN'T be called up now, it's just that he's not at the stage where it's ridiculous that he's still in AAA. Gatewood, for example, is at that stage. If he keeps raking like this he almost has to be challenged at AA at some point this season.

I'd like to see Burnes promoted to AA, along with Gatewood.

I'd like to see Bubba Derby promoted to AAA.

Parker Berberet has been pretty darn dominant in his transition to pitcher at Wisconsin, I wouldn't mind seeing him move up to Carolina. Trey Supak also looks like he could probably handle Carolina.

Finally, I would like to see Tristan Archer given a shot with the Brewers.

Gatewood is a toss up for me, with the position switch and still substantial swing and miss there are a lot of reasons to believe he still might be working productively on things in A+ for awhile yet. On the other hand he has been hitting well enough that you can imagine rewarding him with a promotion.. The dominant pitchers though should get moved up all signs point to using them as soon as possible at the big league level, none is particularly young either.

I personally would like to see all position players at Carolina stay down until maybe late season promotions. To me they are all young enough that there is no need to rush them.

Ray & Erceg are college bats so if they start going off maybe but love to keep this wave together. Come next year in AA it's fair game to break up & promote as earned.

Pitchers are different Burnes & Ponce can go up.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Wuilder Rodriguez. He's off to a great start this year, lowering his ERA to 1.29 as of today. He's 24 years old in Carolina. It might be that his age and experience are allowing him to dominate younger players, I don't know, but I think it makes sense to look for a chance to bump him to Biloxi and get a better sense of what he is or isn't.

Rodriguez is interesting to me because yes his numbers look great this year but he seems pretty old for a guy just out of rookie ball, especially coming from the DSL. That seems to be because he wasn't even in our system until he was college grad age, but I'm not sure why it took him that long to start playing (American) pro ball since that seems unusual for international players. Anybody know more about him?

I'd be inclined to say just let him produce for a full year at Carolina but given the fact that he is already 24, a promotion to AA at some point midseason seems warranted to see if he can produce at the higher levels.

I personally would like to see all position players at Carolina stay down until maybe late season promotions. To me they are all young enough that there is no need to rush them.

Ray & Erceg are college bats so if they start going off maybe but love to keep this wave together. Come next year in AA it's fair game to break up & promote as earned.

Pitchers are different Burnes & Ponce can go up.

The more I think about it, the more I tend to agree with this opinion. There's enough talent at the major league level and the upper minors that promoting these guys too fast could stunt their development. You want them to believe that they're just a phone call away once they get up to AA and AAA and honestly that's just not the case this season or probably next season because the position players on the Brewers right now are more than holding their own in almost all cases. Perez is actually the guy they should all hate because at this point even an injury to a starter doesn't guarantee a call up.

The bright side of this is that we can be more patient with letting these young guys develop, let them experience full years at each level, stay with the same teammates, maybe build a few winning minor league teams and let them get their feet under them before moving up. A lot of these guys are pretty young for their levels, so there's not that much rush.

I also agree that the pitching situation is different and we can really use all the help we can get there. In the next 2 years there's going to be a lot of turnover to that Major League rotation, since at this point it seems unlikely that any of them who are currently there make it through this rebuild, so getting guys up through the minors is a little more urgent to help support the young position core that we have right now.

Looks like Supak already got the call, so hopefully Burnes is next, and maybe Ponce soon after.

• 4 weeks later...
damn! I missed him last summer in Appleton because he was injured and now he'll be gone by the time I'm able to get up there again! Good for him though, hopefully he can continue to stay healthy and produce.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I expect at some point between now and the end of July that Peralta is bumped to AA with Ortiz up to AAA. Derby should be in AAA too. I would bump T.Williams to AAA for Aug then up in the pen with Brewers in Sept.

Ponce is either bumped to AA or traded to get a pen arm next month

Anybody care to chime in how good is Peralta?

I haven't watched him a lot this year, but from what I have seen from last year and read his stuff isn't anything special. His stats are obviously pretty flashy this year, but not sure if that is because of vast improvements from what was seen last year. Always seemed like a back end starter in my eyes or a reliever.

Archived