Brewer Fanatic

Postponed Game 5/20: Only for the weather?

wildcat83
Last I checked the decision was pretty mutual between the teams. You guys are making a big deal about nothing. If the Brewers thought it was purely to help the Cubs they would have said something. Obviously the Brewers didn't care so neither should you.

Its not a mutual decision, it's up to the home team, at least those are the MLB rules. Where did you hear anything yesterday about it being mutual? Wouldn't matter if the Brewers said something as its not their decision. And from some of the comments coming out today it sounds like they did care.

Last I checked the decision was pretty mutual between the teams. You guys are making a big deal about nothing. If the Brewers thought it was purely to help the Cubs they would have said something. Obviously the Brewers didn't care so neither should you.

Its not a mutual decision, it's up to the home team, at least those are the MLB rules. Where did you hear anything yesterday about it being mutual? Wouldn't matter if the Brewers said something as its not their decision. And from some of the comments coming out today it sounds like they did care.

Never said the Brewers had any say.

One of the Milwaukee reporters made it seem like at the time of postponement the Brewers were ok with that. Today's comments make it seem like that was inaccurate or he Brewers had a change of heart when the weather didn't get very bad.

A team should have an obligation to play the game if weather permits which it did. It's not the old days. Many tickets are bought on the secondary market days in advance often by people from out of town. Now those folks are high and dry. Sure they can try and resell them but Thursday afternoon games aren't in as big of demand as weekends are.

It was lame on the Cubs part considering the bobblehead. It made sense from a competitive standpoint...but..,yikes for the fans. Price for the cheapest ticket went from I believe $60 to now $25. As mentioned while weather will be more pleasant for resale the Fact it is a Thursday afternoon hurts.

The problem isn't the fact the date was changed(you have plenty of time to request off) it is the fact thousands were already lined up to get the bobblehead and wasted their time going all the way down there for nothing. All because the home team wanted to rest the bullpen.

They should change the rule to MLB having the final say, with the home team being able to offer a recommendation. Since the Cubs obviously can't make decisions on rain delays and cancellations without abusing the rule.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
They should change the rule to MLB having the final say, with the home team being able to offer a recommendation. Since the Cubs obviously can't make decisions on rain delays and cancellations without abusing the rule.

I assumed that was the case already. Seems odd they would allow a home team (or any team) that kind of latitude.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

[sarcasm]I see a cloud. How is this game being played right now?[/sarcasm]
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

I assumed that was the case already. Seems odd they would allow a home team (or any team) that kind of latitude.

It's much more difficult to find each team's local forecast in the NY offices than it is to review any given play, from every game being played, in real time, at said NY offices.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

#Brewers manager Craig Counsell on Cubs postponing game Saturday:"First time our players were treated for sunburn after rainout."

It appears the Brewers weren't all that keen on postponing this game.

Maybe after this stunt the league will change the rule so MLB has the final say.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Maybe after this stunt the league will change the rule so MLB has the final say.

I'm willing to bet it gets talked about.

Maddon claimed he spent the afternoon in his apartment and didn't realize it had stopped raining. My guess is he never was at Wrigley Saturday because the plan was hatched Friday to postpone the game. When did they call it? Right before it essentially stopped altogether. They had to call it before it actually stopped of course, which is why they did it when they did.

Community Moderator

Glad that Stearns called the Cubs out on their BS, but honestly, I have to tip my cap to the Cubs for getting away with it. Sometimes a slumping team needs a day off and it sure didn't hurt their cause today.

Hopefully MLB changes the rule...otherwise it would be unfortunate if the Miller Park roof got stuck open at an inopportune time for the Cubs.

Glad that Stearns called the Cubs out on their BS, but honestly, I have to tip my cap to the Cubs for getting away with it. Sometimes a slumping team needs a day off and it sure didn't hurt their cause today.

Hopefully MLB changes the rule...otherwise it would be unfortunate if the Miller Park roof got stuck open at an inopportune time for the Cubs.

The whole reason that they leave it up to the discretion of the home team up until first pitch is that they trust them that they know their field and conditions best. Obviously MLB is putting faith in teams by establishing what is essentially an honor system to not abuse the rule and use it as it's designed.

We have a (somewhat) strict written cellphone policy at work. However, the actual understood practice and unwritten rule is that as long as you're smart about it, such as not being on it when you're supposed to be doing a specific task, or putting it away if we have corporate visitors, it's basically ignored.

Occasionally, we have guys that ruin it for everybody because they're dumb about it, such as being on it while on a task (unsafe), or still on it when higher ups are around, and HR is forced to bring the hammer for awhile and crack down.

The Cubs are that guy.

Archived