Brewer Fanatic

Postponed Game 5/20: Only for the weather?

wildcat83
There is no rain anywhere near Chicago right now. Any idea why it was postponed instead of just delayed and played this afternoon/night? Seems like being a day game they had plenty of time to get it in.

Verified Member
Didn't want to play in miserable weather again after yesterday. Mutual thought from both teams.

60 degrees, overcast with a little bit of wind is miserable weather?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm sure they've played in worse weather than today's.

yeah, yesterday :)

they could have played today for sure. It's not bad out at all.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm 5 miles west of O'Hare. Rain stopped for good here just after 1. They could have delayed the start by 30 minutes and been completely dry the rest of the day with temps 10-15 degrees,warmer than yesterday. Made no sense other than the Cubs needing to rest their bullpen arms. That's the real reason the game was postponed.

I'm 5 miles west of O'Hare. Rain stopped for good here just after 1. They could,have,delayed the start by 30 minutes and been completely dry the rest of the day with temps 10-15 degrees,warmer than yesterday. Made no sense other than the Cubs needing to rest their bullpen arms.

I was going to say the same thing . Their bullpen is decimated, convenient that they found a way to turn somewhat mild weather into a day off for their pen. One of those things that makes you scratch your head, right Bosio?

I'm 5 miles west of O'Hare. Rain stopped for good here just after 1. They could,have,delayed the start by 30 minutes and been completely dry the rest of the day with temps 10-15 degrees,warmer than yesterday. Made no sense other than the Cubs needing to rest their bullpen arms.

I was going to say the same thing . Their bullpen is decimated, convenient that they found a way to turn somewhat mild weather into a day off for their pen. One of those things that makes you scratch your head, right Bosio?

I'm starting to hate the Cubs just as much as the Cardinals.

To top it off, Cubs fans traveled from all over the country and paid premium ticket prices to get a "final out of the world series" bobblehead. Due to the postponement, they weren't handed out. So they come across as being bush league, afraid of a small market team, and not caring of their most loyal fans with one decision.

I mean, I really doubt the Brewers would object much to the off day. Their bullpen is pretty much just as decimated. Look at how much Knebal, Barnes, Torres have been used lately. Given the brewers have played more games than just about every team to this point and have had starters pitch just about the least amount of innings, I think two off days in three days is more than fine.

Also with Braun about to come off the DL, every game PPD now is one less game he has to miss, he could even be back tomorrow!

I know the team is hot right now, but you want to be in this for the long haul and not burn out in May.

It does seem a tad silly to me that MLB can't overrule decisions like this that are made essentially because it helps the Cubs.

The rain had completely stopped by about 12:45-1:00. Didn't rain the rest of the day. Wasn't freezing cold. No massive wind. There is just no real reason they couldn't have played today. It's not like there was massive amounts of rain in the forecast that didn't come - there wasn't. It was quite clear simply looking at the weather that they could easily play the game, maybe even on time, but certainly with a small delay to the start time.

IMO, there's just no viable reason this game didn't happen today. I just think it's absurd that the home team can cancel a game without any sort of real justification or at least MLB looking at it and approving it or rejecting the cancelation or something.

Last I checked the decision was pretty mutual between the teams. You guys are making a big deal about nothing. If the Brewers thought it was purely to help the Cubs they would have said something. Obviously the Brewers didn't care so neither should you.

I don't care about either, since I am a fan I care more about the fan here, both Cubs and Brewers. There are plenty of fans that paid lots of money for a game that had no reason to be cancelled.

Didn't want to play in miserable weather again after yesterday. Mutual thought from both teams.

Give me a break. Maybe they should work in the rain for $15 an hour like the rest of America instead of be paid millions to get a little cold.

Funny. One of the sports radio guys tweeted yesterday after the first inning that Cubs would need a rainout to reset the bullpen. Maybe Theo follows that guy on Twitter.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

From Haudricourt: #Brewers definitely think Cubs postponed game yesterday for reason other than weather. Comments coming from GM David Stearns.

Definitely think it was to rest their pen. Laughable.

"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I hope Stearns calls them out.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

#Brewers manager Craig Counsell on Cubs postponing game Saturday:"First time our players were treated for sunburn after rainout."

Archived