Brewer Fanatic

2017-05-19: Brewers (Espino/MLB debut) at Cubs (Butler) 1:20 PM CDT [Brewers win, eventually, 6-3]

hawing
  • Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow Shaw, brutal swing.

Not trying to pick on you but you do realize that these guys are facing major league pitching and every once in awhile they are fooled, right? It happens to the best of them.

What was the point of this, especially in an in game thread full of immediate game reactions? Never did I say anything otherwise and I'm a big Shaw fan. I simply pointed out that it was a bad swing and he was fooled badly ?

Are you really meaning to say you don't regularly give a quick criticism of the immediate performance of players in IGTs against 'major league' players?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It'd be great if Brewers could burn through the Cubs' pen in this game. Butler's at 35 pitches after the Bandy hit.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

First Pina with his antics after the 3-run homer and not Bandy with a fist pump. Love it! A little emotion can go a long way.

30+ pitches in the first inning, love that too!

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Wow Shaw, brutal swing.

Not trying to pick on you but you do realize that these guys are facing major league pitching and every once in awhile they are fooled, right? It happens to the best of them.

What was the point of this, especially in an in game thread full of immediate game reactions? Never did I say anything otherwise and I'm a big Shaw fan. I simply pointed out that it was a bad swing and he was fooled badly ?

Are you really meaning to say you don't regularly give a quick criticism of the immediate performance of players in IGTs against 'major league' players?

A knee-jerk post was commented on and not even in a jerky way.

edited - tone it down, please.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Butler's lack of control is making me a bit nervous though. How are game conditions? 40 pitches and only 18 strikes is pretty alarming? He had a 3 ball count on 5 of the 7 hitters he faced and at least a 2 ball count on all of them. I hope Espino can get a decent grip on the ball.

Great job by the Brewers being patient knowing he wasn't throwing strikes. That might seem obvious, but in years past we have had a lot of aggressive hitters that could have made that a 15 pitch inning before you know it with zero runs.

Butler's lack of control is making me a bit nervous though. How are game conditions? 40 pitches and only 18 strikes is pretty alarming? He had a 3 ball count on 5 of the 7 hitters he faced and at least a 2 ball count on all of them. I hope Espino can get a decent grip on the ball.

Couldn't locate the fastball.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Great job by the Brewers being patient knowing he wasn't throwing strikes. That might seem obvious, but in years past we have had a lot of aggressive hitters that could have made that a 15 pitch inning before you know it with zero runs.

Except Villar who decided to swing at the first pitch after back to back walks.

I like 8 pitch innings....especially when the other guy throws 40

Yeah I hope we don't sign Villar long term. We need to get better defense on the field.

Not saying we can't find better defense but Villar has been pretty good since the first month of the season. He had a rocky start and has settled into playing some good baseball at second.

April: 119 chances, 64 assists, 5 errors

May: 74 chances, 40 assists, 0 errors

Not posting this, expect an idiotic play today from him but I am one that is in his corner that believes he's too gifted not to becomes a very good MLB player.

Most advanced metrics still have him below average. Errors are such a bad stat I don't like to use those. The ruling on what is and what isn't an error is just ridiculous at times. It wasn't so much just about Villar either, it is about the team as a whole. I want to see us have an above average defense on the field at some point and that means maybe not signing a couple of the weaker fielders we have right now. Santana and Villar are probably the most replaceable weak defense guys for the future.

Butler had an xFIP over 5 and a K/9 under 5 in the minors. He has been terrible at every stop in AAA and the majors. I can't imagine him getting more than 4 or 5 starts before they demote him.

Archived