Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Thursday 5/18 - A Season Debut for the Ages for Cooper Hummel

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Thursday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Colorado Springs: RHP Brandon Woodruff at El Paso (Padres), 7:05 PM pre-game, 7:35 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Dan Karcher, the longtime play-by-play voice of the Sky Sox is on Twitter @SkySoxKarch; joining him again this season is Dan Acheson (@Dan_Acheson)

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Colorado Springs games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $49.99 season-long package ($12.99 to pay for a single month). The audio feed is from the home team. The video of each game is archived online, which is a nice feature. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

NOTE: Notice that on MiLB.TV's page, you can click on "Filter", then "Milwaukee Brewers", and you'll see just the Crew's organizational TV lineup.

Biloxi: TBD at home vs. Chattanooga (Twins), 6:15 PM pre-game, 6:35 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Chris Harris is the play-by-play voice of the Shuckers. Follow Chris on Twitter @CHarris731. We'll be linking to his fantastic "Shuck Dynasty" blog. Erik Bremer (@Erik_Bremer) joins Chris often. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be radio broadcast.

MiLB.TV - Eight of the ten Southern League teams telecast their home games, and Biloxi is among them. Only games in Chattanooga and Mobile won't be available.

Carolina: RHP Cody Ponce at home vs. Down East (Rangers), 9:45 AM pre-game, 10:00 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

We look forward to Mudcats audio with Greg Young (@gregyoungjr), especially after going without gameday audio for much of the Brewers' stay in Brevard County.

MiLB.TV - Yes, Carolina home games will be on MiLB.TV, sweet. It appears three other Carolina League teams (Salem, Myrtle Beach, and Winston-Salem) broadcast as well.

Wisconsin: RHP Braden Webb at home vs. Cedar Rapids (Twins), 6:15 PM pre-game, 6:35 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

MiLB.TV - Eight of the 16 Midwest League teams telecast their home games, and Wisconsin, once again, is among them. We'll let you know when a road TV feed is available.

In 2017, fifteen games will be broadcast on Spectrum Sports in Wisconsin, available on channel 32 and in HD on channel 1332. We'll keep you posted with our "DVR Alerts" days in advance.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Look for these just prior to the respective game times --

Colorado Springs Media Notes - Linked on the Sky Sox official blog

Biloxi Media Notes - Linked on the Shuck Dynasty blog

Carolina Media Notes - Linked on the Mudcats official blog

Wisconsin Media Notes - Linked on the Rattler Radio blog

STANDINGS:

AAA - Pacific Coast League American Northern Division

AA - Southern League South Division

High-A - Carolina League Southern Division

A - Midwest League Western Division

Sortable individual stat pages:

Colorado Springs

Biloxi

Carolina

Wisconsin

Weather.com:

El Paso, TX

Biloxi, MS

Zebulon, NC

Grand Chute, WI

Hummel's huge day leads Mudcats to 7-5 win versus Down East

Cooper Hummel fell a single shy of the cycle in his 2017 season debut on Thursday

By Greg Young / Carolina Mudcats | May 18, 2017 4:01 PM ET

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/5/6/0/231029560/cuts/16x9_Hummel51717c_5cd699wu_2zzq170p.jpg

Cooper Hummel finished a single shy of the cycle while going 3-for-3 with a double, triple, a home run, two runs and three RBIs in his 2017 debut. He also caught five pop outs, picked off a runner at first and reached base safely in all four of his at bats. (NIKOLAUS - Carolina Mudcats)

Cooper Hummel-Superstar. Well, for today anyway. 3 for 3 with a walk. He also picked a runner off base and caught 4 popups, which sounds routine but isn't always on this club. All three hits were hammered. The double was off the wall in left, triple went to deep right center and the home run to straight away right. Overshadowed were some other fine performances - Troy Stokes Jr. (2-4, 2B, HR), Trent Clark (1-2, HR, BB, Sac Fly), and Weston Wilson (3-4, 2B, and playing 2B today). Trent Clark's home run was just to the right of the center field area. When it was hit, I thought there was no chance it would go out but, of course, it did. The balls were carrying very well today. He really packs a pop for a guy his size.

Cody Ponce went 7 innings to pick up his 4th win of the season. He scattered 7 hits and 1 walk and struck out 4. He threw 86 pitches, 60 for strikes, and had an 8/2 ground out to fly out ratio. Eric Hanhold worked a scoreless 8th. Quintin Torres-Costa gave up a pair of gopher balls in the 9th before Nate Griep came in to notch the save. The Mudcats were going to bring in Nate Griep for the 9th when Cooper Hummel hit a 2 run home run in the bottom of the 8th. Then they sat down Nate Griep and went with Torres-Costa. He may not have had enough time to warm up but it's probably still a good gamble.

Carolina Box Score

Carolina Game Log

Carolina Bottom of the 3rd

Cooper Hummel doubles (1) on a line drive to center fielder Carlos Arroyo.

Carlos Belonis grounds out, third baseman Josh Altmann to first baseman Tyler Sanchez.

With Trent Clark batting, Cooper Hummel advances to 3rd on a balk.

Trent Clark out on a sacrifice fly to right fielder Eduard Pinto. Cooper Hummel scores.

Luis Aviles lines out to center fielder Carlos Arroyo.

Carolina Bottom of the 4th

Isan Diaz doubles (10) on a line drive to left fielder LeDarious Clark.

Jake Gatewood reaches on a fielding error by third baseman Josh Altmann.

Lucas Erceg grounds into a double play, second baseman Luis La O to shortstop Josh Morgan to first baseman Tyler Sanchez. Isan Diaz to 3rd. Jake Gatewood out at 2nd.

Troy Stokes Jr. homers (4) on a fly ball to left field. Isan Diaz scores.

Weston Wilson singles on a ground ball to center fielder Carlos Arroyo.

Cooper Hummel triples (1) on a line drive to center fielder Carlos Arroyo. Weston Wilson scores.

Carlos Belonis grounds out, second baseman Luis La O to first baseman Tyler Sanchez.

Carolina Bottom of the 8th

Lucas Erceg strikes out swinging.

Troy Stokes Jr. strikes out swinging.

Weston Wilson singles on a line drive to left fielder LeDarious Clark.

Cooper Hummel homers (1) on a line drive to right field. Weston Wilson scores.

Carlos Belonis flies out to right fielder Eduard Pinto.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Hummel makes Mudcats debut in style

Brewers catcher misses cycle by a single in first game of season

By Sam Dykstra / MiLB.com

Hummel_nazl0qa5_zc7kf02o.jpg

An 18th-round pick in 2016, Cooper Hummel collected three of his 11 career extra-base hits on Thursday. (Carolina Mudcats photo)

Catcher Cooper Hummel technically began 2017 on the Rookie-level Helena roster but spent most of the season's first two months with Class A Advanced Carolina, where he got bullpen duty and bided his time as the club's de facto third catcher. He was told he'd be insurance in case backstops Max McDowell or Mitch Ghelfi were injured or if anyone at Class A Wisconsin went down, but that opportunity had yet to come.

Finally, when infielder Wendell Rijo's promotion to Biloxi opened up a roster spot Wednesday, Hummel was officially added to the Mudcats, and he admitted he didn't sleep much given the chance he'd make his full-season debut.

"To be honest, I was joking around with my girlfriend last night and saying, 'Wouldn't it be funny if I went something like 3-for-3 with maybe a bomb or something in there?'" Hummel said. "She just told me to be less amped."

As it turned out, those words were prophetic.

The 22-year-old went 3-for-3 with a homer, a triple, a double, a walk and three RBIs in his full-season debut Thursday to lead the Mudcats to a 7-5 win over Down East at Five County Stadium.

It was the first time he had collected multiple extra-base hits in his brief Minor League career and matched his high of three hits, set Aug. 6 last season with Helena.

"It was an awesome day," said Hummel, who hit .176/.359/.275 in 35 Pioneer League games in 2016. "I don't want to say I ever lacked confidence or especially in the guys on this team to make it easy for me today. But they were all excited for me to get the opportunity. All 25 -- or even 30 if you count the guys on the DL -- had my back and were there for me today, and I think that's the biggest thing that helped me, knowing I had them with me."

The double came first for the 2016 18th-rounder, leading off the third inning, and it didn't take long. Batting from the left side against Wood Ducks righty Emerson Martinez, the switch-hitter ripped a line drive to center on the first pitch he saw. Although it would have been tough to predict, that set the tone for the rest of the afternoon.

"When I stepped into the box, I was just trying to clear my mind," he said. "My head was going a million miles an hour since I knew I might play, and everyone was joking around with me that I was being super antsy. I just wanted to see a pitch I could hit. I know what I can do with the bat, and I've tried to refine my approach some. But when it came down to it, I saw something I could hit and made good contact."

Hummel added an RBI triple as part of a three-run fourth inning -- that time on a 2-0 count -- and took a free pass in the sixth. Brimming with confidence, he stepped in against right-handed reliever Jacob Shortslef with a runner on in the eighth and swung hard at the first pitch he saw. This time, he lined the ball over the wall in right for his first Class A Advanced home run.

"He was attacking the zone pretty well from what I could see, and some of my teammates gave a scouting report that he had good velocity -- I think someone said mid- to upper-90's -- with a cutter," he said. "I happened to get something middle in that I think cut a little bit on me, and I was able to pull my hands in and whack it pretty good. Thank the Lord it went out."

With his homer and triple Thursday, Hummel matched his totals in both categories from the entire 2016 season. The University of Portland product said he put in work this spring and into the season with Mudcats hitting coach Dave Joppie to improve his ability to drive the ball.

"To be honest, the homers are always going to loom large over anyone, but I love singles and doubles," he said. "This is a fun sport, and getting those can be fun, too. But yeah, a homer and a triple on Day 1, can't ask for anything better."

VIDEO - Watch all three hits and one silent treatment: "Cooper Hummel finished a single shy of the cycle while going 3-for-3 with a double, a triple, a home run and three RBIs in his 2017 debut."

Beyond his performance at the plate, Hummel also worked behind it Thursday as Mudcats starter Cody Ponce allowed two earned runs on seven hits and a walk while fanning four in seven innings. The Brewers' No. 15 prospect improved to 4-3 with a 3.35 ERA in the victory.

"Yeah, I was lucky to get a great start with him," Hummel said. "He's got confidence in all four of his pitches and really attacks the zone. Today, all four of them were on and he was hitting his spots. That makes my job easy."

As busy as Hummel's day was on the field, it still wasn't over as texts flooded in from those who had been following his perfect season debut. There might be an "I told you so" going the other way before the day is over.

"I checked my phone after the game and saw a text that said, 'Sorry, that wasn't the game you wanted,'" he joked. "We had a team meeting right after the game, but I know there were messages from my parents and grandparents and a whole bunch of people. My phone blew up. I'll get back to them all."

VIDEO: "Troy Stokes Jr. hits a solo shot"

VIDEO: "Trent Clark led off the fifth with a soaring drive toward center at Five County Stadium."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

VIDEO via WXXV: RHP Javi Salas on joining the Shuckers from extended spring training

VIDEO via WXXV: More from Salas

VIDEO via WXXV Wed. 5/17: Highlights from Wednesday's Shuckers win - we'll post here as there's some new views on plays, including Javier Betancourt escaping a close call on a lower leg injury at the plate

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Biloxi 9, Chattanooga 3

Shuckers rout Lookouts in series opener on Thursday

Biloxi scored a season-high nine runs in the victory

IMG_5525_areqgov9_4gbj2juh.JPG

Art Charles was 1-for-4 but collected a game-high three RBI's in the win (Hunter Reed photo)

BILOXI, MS - The Biloxi Shuckers won their third straight game on Thursday night, defeating the Chattanooga Lookouts by a score of 9-3 at MGM Park. Their nine runs were a season high and kept them in a second-place tie, a game out of first place in the Southern League South Division standings.

Read the rest of the summary at the link above...

Biloxi Box Score

Taylor Jungmann put nine men on base, including five walks and an HBP, in his four somehow-scoreless innings; Johnny Davis, Angel Ortega, Jacob Nottingham and Javier Betancourt each reached base three times -- fun box...

Biloxi Game Log

Five in the 5th, even though a 7-2 double play ended the frame --

Biloxi Bottom of the 5th

Javier Betancourt walks.

Johnny Davis hit by pitch. Javier Betancourt to 2nd.

Mauricio Dubon walks. Javier Betancourt to 3rd. Johnny Davis to 2nd.

Blake Allemand out on a sacrifice fly to right fielder Edgar Corcino. Javier Betancourt scores. Johnny Davis to 3rd.

Dustin DeMuth singles on a fly ball to left fielder Ryan Strausborger. Johnny Davis scores. Mauricio Dubon to 2nd.

Angel Ortega singles on a ground ball to center fielder Levi Michael. Mauricio Dubon scores. Dustin DeMuth to 2nd.

Pitching Change: Luke Bard replaces Fernando Romero.

Jacob Nottingham singles on a fly ball to left fielder Ryan Strausborger. Dustin DeMuth to 3rd. Angel Ortega to 2nd.

Art Charles Jr. singles on a ground ball to center fielder Levi Michael. Dustin DeMuth scores. Angel Ortega scores. Jacob Nottingham to 3rd on the throw.

Clint Coulter singles on a ground ball to third baseman T. J. White. Art Charles Jr. to 2nd.

Javier Betancourt flies into a double play, left fielder Ryan Strausborger to catcher Dan Rohlfing. Jacob Nottingham out at home.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Sky Sox Fall, Earn Series Split

Ryan Cordell drove in the lone run in first inning in 4-1 loss.

By Robby Veronesi / Colorado Springs Sky Sox

04_18_0553_pk_nfahh8bu_7lw3h9c3.jpg

Ryan Cordell recorded the lone RBI in the Sky Sox 4-1 loss in El Paso. (Photo: Paat Kelly)

Colorado Springs Box Score

Colorado Springs was held to just one run on seven hits on Thursday in a 4-1 lose to El Paso. Sky Sox batters could not come through when they had the chance, going 0-8 with runners in scoring position and leaving nine runners on.

Brandon Woodruff (5.2 IP, 6 hits, 3 ER, 0 BB, 8 K) was solid until the 6th inning, when he gave up three hits - leading to a pair of runs. Woodruff would take the loss.

On the offensive end, the Sky Sox highlights were few and far between. Tyler Heineman (1-3, BB) got on twice, and Ryan Cordell (1-4, 3B) drove in the team’s only run with a triple in the 1st.

Colorado Springs Game Log

The Sky Sox fell behind by giving up a pair of runs in the 6th, including a two-out double and single.

El Paso Bottom of the 6th

Franchy Cordero strikes out swinging.

Collin Cowgill singles on a line drive to center fielder Kyle Wren.

Carlos Asuaje grounds into a force out, shortstop Yadiel Rivera to second baseman Nate Orf. Collin Cowgill out at 2nd. Carlos Asuaje to 1st.

Jabari Blash doubles (4) on a fly ball to right fielder Brett Phillips. Carlos Asuaje scores.

Christian Villanueva singles on a ground ball to center fielder Kyle Wren. Jabari Blash scores.

Defensive switch from third base to left field for Ryan Cordell.

Pitching Change: Stephen Kohlscheen replaces Brandon Woodruff, batting 6th.

Defensive Substitution: Gabriel Noriega replaces pitcher Brandon Woodruff, batting 9th, playing third base.

Diego Goris flies out to right fielder Brett Phillips.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

AUDIO via the Rattler Radio Soundcloud: "Timber Rattlers Manager Matt Erickson visits for his weekly pregame interview. Topics include playing in front of family, the relationship with the Cedar Rapids Kernels coaching staff, and injury updates."

On the injury front, RHP's Victor Diaz and Luke Barker should be back on the active roster relatively soon.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Getting ahead of things just a touch (And That will be posting the Wiscosnin update shortly and I'll be offline for a while), but enjoy in advance --

Please, please watch RHP Aaron Myers strike out the side in the 8th, including a 64 MPH changeup. Note Myers' smile as he comes off the mound. One of the most unique farmhand pitchers we've seen --

AUDIO: "The Rattlers dropped a 6–3 decision to the Cedar Rapids Kernels on Thursday night. The postgame podcast has comments from Jose Cuas, Demi Orimoloye, Aaron Myers and Matt Erickson.

Davis Powers Cedar Rapids Past Wisconsin

Midwest League leader in homers goes deep twice

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

5_18_PlayerOfTheGame_Orimoloye_4xektz4c_rh0ky3j3.jpg

(Photo: Wisconsin Timber Rattlers)

Wisconsin Boxscore

Demi Orimoloye lead off the bottom of the first with his 7th homer of the year, but that's the last lead the Rattlers would see, as erratic outings by Braden Webb and Cam Roegner left the offense unable to keep up in the middle innings.

Orimoloye had two hits on the night, and Mario Feliciano added two as well, both singles. Jose Cuas paced Wisconsin with three hits, all singles, and brought his average north of .200 in the process.

Wisconsin Game Log

Almost rally in the bottom of the 9th:

Wisconsin Bottom of the 9th

Defensive Substitution: Ben Rortvedt replaces first baseman Lewin Diaz, batting 3rd, playing catcher.

Defensive switch from catcher to first base for Caleb Hamilton.

Pitching Change: Logan Lombana replaces Colton Davis.

Ronnie Gideon strikes out swinging, catcher Ben Rortvedt to first baseman Caleb Hamilton.

Jose Cuas singles on a ground ball to left fielder Shane Carrier.

Gilbert Lara strikes out swinging.

Caleb Whalen walks. Jose Cuas to 2nd.

Demi Orimoloye singles on a line drive to right fielder Jaylin Davis. Jose Cuas scores. Caleb Whalen to 2nd.

Mario Feliciano singles on a line drive to right fielder Jaylin Davis. Caleb Whalen scores. Demi Orimoloye to 2nd.

Monte Harrison called out on strikes.

Wisconsin Timber Rattlers center fielder Monte Harrison ejected by HP umpire Randy Wilmes.

Archived