Brewer Fanatic

2017-05-17: Brewers (Garza) at Padres (Chacin) 9:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 3-1, edge past STL into first place]

hawing
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It'd be great to get two more innings from Garza in this one.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

But you're trying to argue for arguing sake.

I am not doing this. Dismissing something you don't like as "argumentative" is not a good argument. I could say the same thing to you about giving Councell credit for a player's success instead of their natural ability or extra experience. My point was that I don't think the manager has a lot to do with players getting better. I see their role more as evaluating the talent they have and then using it in such a way to maximize wins.

When you can't make a mistake at catcher because whoever you pencil in puts up a 1.000 OPS I don't think the manager is doing anything particularly impressive or anything every single other MLB manager wouldn't do.

Overall, I think CC is basically average as he seems to make all the standard moves every other average manager makes. He does seem to over value gritty players who remind him of himself which I think makes him a little weaker in the evaluating talent aspect of managing.

All I know is last year at this time we were watching Colin Walsh and Ramon Flores. Later on it was the likes of Andy Wilkins Jake Elmore, and Alex Presley. So I can't get too worked up that Sogard is leading off for one game.

Well last year we were arguing about why Broxton was losing so many PAs to Nieuwenhuis, this year at least he's playing every day and we're just arguing about where it should be in the lineup, so that's a step in the right direction. :)

Interesting how much a year changes things. I give Counsell a lot of credit for bringing guys along so far. Broxton and Santana sure have looked even better this season so far. He's played his cards right for the most part. Another good example has been the catching situation. He's done well in my book.

To be fair then are you going to blame him for Villar's OBP being 90 points lower than last year?

Why would you blame the manager for what is mostly just a shift in Babip?

But you're trying to argue for arguing sake.

I am not doing this. Dismissing something you don't like as "argumentative" is not a good argument. I could say the same thing to you about giving Councell credit for a player's success instead of their natural ability or extra experience. My point was that I don't think the manager has a lot to do with players getting better. I see their role more as evaluating the talent they have and then using it in such a way to maximize wins.

When you can't make a mistake at catcher because whoever you pencil in puts up a 1.000 OPS I don't think the manager is doing anything particularly impressive or anything every single other MLB manager wouldn't do.

Overall, I think CC is basically average as he seems to make all the standard moves every other average manager makes. He does seem to over value gritty players who remind him of himself which I think makes him a little weaker in the evaluating talent aspect of managing.

Managers make decisions on matchups. Flip the catchers starts completely around and maybe you have different results. While some of the success is just natural player progression, it also goes along with how the player is used. To dismiss that part of managing is a big mistake IMO. Otherwise any idiot with a computer could manage a MLB team and I just do not believe that.

I also think because the player that CC was he gets this bad wrap anytime we have a player over the age of 27 in the lineup it just has to be because CC was a scrapper. Saying he over values them is just throwing something out there because we really don't know how much he values them or if he just is playing the guys he believes can win some games.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Broxton come on man. Damnit.

Offense has run dry. One dribbler after the next. Going to waste another good start by Garza.

Oh and Torres is warming up so I'm sure Garza will get a guy on, CC to Torres and he will immediately give up a double.

Interesting how much a year changes things. I give Counsell a lot of credit for bringing guys along so far. Broxton and Santana sure have looked even better this season so far. He's played his cards right for the most part. Another good example has been the catching situation. He's done well in my book.

To be fair then are you going to blame him for Villar's OBP being 90 points lower than last year?

Why would you blame the manager for what is mostly just a shift in Babip?

I am illustrating the point that in the same way you can't blame CC for Villar's decline you cant give him credit for Santana's improvements

I also think because the player that CC was he gets this bad wrap anytime we have a player over the age of 27 in the lineup it just has to be because CC was a scrapper. Saying he over values them is just throwing something out there because we really don't know how much he values them or if he just is playing the guys he believes can win some games.

I am not just throwing it out there, this whole thing started because I put it out there that CC seems to be favoring Sogard's 3 hot games over Broxton's 3 hot weeks. This appears to be evidence that there are other things about Sogard he likes and thus does not need as long of a hot streak before he considers him leadoff worthy. He also has hit Franklin higher than our hot catchers and Broxton recently. He batted Franklin leadoff in his second start this year.

I am not just throwing it out there, this whole thing started because I put it out there that CC seems to be favoring Sogard's 3 hot games over Broxton's 3 hot weeks. This appears to be evidence that there are other things about Sogard he likes and thus does not need as long of a hot streak before he considers him leadoff worthy. He also has hit Franklin higher than our hot catchers and Broxton recently. He batted Franklin leadoff in his second start this year.

He likes the L-R-L approach in his lineups too. He's mentioned that a bit so that could've also played into Franklin splitting Satana and the catchers. The comment is overused to me. That's all.

I'm just happy Torres didn't blow up out there in this one. Maybe he's passing that tourch to someone else tonight.

How can a pitcher and catcher not be on the same page on a pitchout?

I'll take two guesses:

1. It wasn't a pitch out but Bandy was trying to get an early jump on the throw on what he though was going to be an outside fastball.

2. Torres missed that badly on a pitchout.

Archived