Brewer Fanatic

2017-05-17: Brewers (Garza) at Padres (Chacin) 9:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 3-1, edge past STL into first place]

hawing

I took a brief nap, so maybe I can keep it together a bit more tonight.

Our Brewers:

2B Eric Sogard (L)

LF Hernan Perez ®

1B Jesus Aguilar ®

3B Travis Shaw (L)

RF Domingo Santana ®

C Jett Bandy ®

CF Keon Broxton ®

SS Orlando Arcia ®

RHP Matt Garza ®

Those Padres:

CF Manuel Margot ®

3B Cory Spangenberg (L)

1B Wil Myers ®

2B Yangervis Solarte (S)

C Austin Hedges ®

SS Erick Aybar (S)

RF Hunter Renfroe ®

LF Matt Sczcur ®

RHP Jhoulys Chacin ®

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I took a brief nap, so maybe I can keep it together a bit more tonight.

I'm gonna drink a strong cup of coffee in a bit. I'm having fun staying up watching the West Coast Brewers

Here's hoping Garza can continue pitching well

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Wonder if wily is available tonight. Its been 2 days since he pitched so i would imagine he would. Intersted to see him in relief.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Sogard has 3 good games and he is leading off, Broxton has been playing all-star level baseball for 3 weeks and still hitting down in the order. I guess CC can't resist the grit factor

My exact thinking when I saw the lineup. And Sogard has probably guaranteed himself 3 or 4 starts a week for the rest of the season.

I think people are making way too big a deal where guys are batting in the lineup. CC has his way of thinking with the younger guys. Broxton is one that he's allowing a no pressure spot in the lineup and he's thriving. It's really not that big of a deal.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think people are making way too big a deal where guys are batting in the lineup. CC has his way of thinking with the younger guys. Broxton is one that he's allowing a no pressure spot in the lineup and he's thriving. It's really not that big of a deal.

It does matter, over the course of the season the #2 hitter will get about 70 more PAs that the #7 hitter.

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/buying-generic-plate-appearances-by-lineup-spot/

This is one of the core roles of the manager, put your team in the best position to maximize wins. Last year Keon was just fine, in fact at his best, batting 1 and 2 in the order

It does matter, over the course of the season the #2 hitter will get about 70 more PAs that the #7 hitter.

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/buying-generic-plate-appearances-by-lineup-spot/

This is one of the core roles of the manager, put your team in the best position to maximize wins. Last year Keon was just fine, in fact at his best, batting 1 and 2 in the order

Villar/Thames are his 1-2 punch this year. The other guys he's had fill those spots has helped this team win games so far so I'm failing to see the complaint other than just some wanting him to be atop the lineup.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Villar/Thames are his 1-2 punch this year. The other guys he's had fill those spots has helped this team win games so far so I'm failing to see the complaint other than just some wanting him to be atop the lineup.

Villar has a .277 OBP, not exactly great for the leadoff spot. The complaint is that you should have your best players batting higher in the order so they bat more often. Like in football your best wide receiver plays on all the plays and the 5th best receiver only plays when you need 5 WR. CC seems to value grit over skills, that is bad. You could say he is playing the hot hand which I am actually all in favor of, but that would not explain things like batting Franklin above (really anyone) Broxton recently, or explain why Villar has stayed in the leadoff spot the entire season.

Also, I do not like the managerial mentality of allowing people to stay "comfortable" You need to push people and challenge them to always get better. The mentality of a winner is not I feel more comfortable batting 8 where there is no pressure. Instead you should be thinking Ill bat anywhere and crush the opposition and I dare them to try to stop me, that is what CC should be encouraging

Villar has a career .329 OBP, he is a passable leadoff hitter.

CCs job is to maximize player value for trade and for next season. If he feels Broxton will learn better batting 7th it is pretty hard to argue with it. I mean I want him hitting 2nd for selfish reasons involving fantasy baseball but I have no issue at all with them easing into the game in the bottom of the order. He has been such an up and down player the more they can handle him with baby gloves the better. For Broxton this year is figuring out if he is part of the future or not.

Villar has a .277 OBP, not exactly great for the leadoff spot. The complaint is that you should have your best players batting higher in the order so they bat more often. Like in football your best wide receiver plays on all the plays and the 5th best receiver only plays when you need 5 WR. CC seems to value grit over skills, that is bad. You could say he is playing the hot hand which I am actually all in favor of, but that would not explain things like batting Franklin above (really anyone) Broxton recently, or explain why Villar has stayed in the leadoff spot the entire season.

Also, I do not like the managerial mentality of allowing people to stay "comfortable" You need to push people and challenge them to always get better. The mentality of a winner is not I feel more comfortable batting 8 where there is no pressure. Instead you should be thinking Ill bat anywhere and crush the opposition and I dare them to try to stop me, that is what CC should be encouraging

Agree to disagree. Villar has been up there because of what he can produce in that role. Has he gotten off to a slow start, sure but it happens. People weren't calling for Broxton in the first 20 games because he stunk. If Broxton continues his pace he will eventually get his opportunity to hit in the top of the lineup. And the thing about pushing guys does play into it yes, but there's also plenty of times you don't do that. Have to know when to push guys and when to let them adjust and find success. I think what CC has done so far with all the moving pieces, a relatively young team, and lack of pitching that it is pretty hard to pick a part the guy so far.

Batting Broxton 7th in the current lineup is inexcusable. Batting Sogard and his career sub .300 OBP leadoff is beyond inexcusable.

Overreacting much? Lineups can be fluid, especially when regulars are out. Sogard is extremely hot and has already paid dividends for CC and helped win ball games. Sometimes you ride that out. Baseball managing isn't always done by checking out the back of these guys baseball cards.

Well last year we were arguing about why Broxton was losing so many PAs to Nieuwenhuis, this year at least he's playing every day and we're just arguing about where it should be in the lineup, so that's a step in the right direction. :)

Batting Broxton 7th in the current lineup is inexcusable. Batting Sogard and his career sub .300 OBP leadoff is beyond inexcusable.

Overreacting much? Lineups can be fluid, especially when regulars are out. Sogard is extremely hot and has already paid dividends for CC and helped win ball games. Sometimes you ride that out. Baseball managing isn't always done by checking out the back of these guys baseball cards.

Is Broxton not a hot hand? 1.000 OPS this month seems hot to me. His career OPS leading off is .919 and .899 when he hits 2nd so I think he's "comfortable" hitting in those spots.

Is Broxton not a hot hand? 1.000 OPS this month seems hot to me. His career OPS leading off is .919 and .899 when he hits 2nd so I think he's "comfortable" hitting in those spots.

Not to Counsell or he would be in those spots already. If he continues to hit, he'll eventually be there.

Well last year we were arguing about why Broxton was losing so many PAs to Nieuwenhuis, this year at least he's playing every day and we're just arguing about where it should be in the lineup, so that's a step in the right direction. :)

Interesting how much a year changes things. I give Counsell a lot of credit for bringing guys along so far. Broxton and Santana sure have looked even better this season so far. He's played his cards right for the most part. Another good example has been the catching situation. He's done well in my book.

Interesting how much a year changes things. I give Counsell a lot of credit for bringing guys along so far. Broxton and Santana sure have looked even better this season so far. He's played his cards right for the most part. Another good example has been the catching situation. He's done well in my book.

To be fair then are you going to blame him for Villar's OBP being 90 points lower than last year?

To be fair then are you going to blame him for Villar's OBP being 90 points lower than last year?

No manager is perfect. But you're trying to argue for arguing sake. If you can't see that CC has had more successes with the current players he's had then I don't know what to tell ya. Villar might be one of those guys he took a wrong approach with by letting him be so free in his play so being undisciplined has become apart of his game. Who knows but it's early.

Archived