Brewer Fanatic

Paolo Espino scratched - is there a move coming

patrickgpe

Whether or not Espino succeeds is another discussion … but I’m excited if he gets a spot start+ because he might have the most obnoxious 12-6 curve we have seen since Sheets. Love it.

Furthermore, the move to the pen has potential to have a very happy ending for Peralta. He has two pitches which isn’t nearly as big a problem in the pen and he can add a tick to his velocity coming out there. I think he can help the team.

Whether or not Espino succeeds is another discussion … but I’m excited if he gets a spot start+ because he might have the most obnoxious 12-6 curve we have seen since Sheets. Love it.

Furthermore, the move to the pen has potential to have a very happy ending for Peralta. He has two pitches which isn’t nearly as big a problem in the pen and he can add a tick to his velocity coming out there. I think he can help the team.

This.

I actually think Peralta is perfect for the pen. I think if he knew he was only pitching the one inning, he can easily get into the upper 90s with his fastball, could make a big difference. I hope they don't just make him the long man, as he'll encounter the same problems. I'd really like to see what he can do going one inning at a time.

This.

I actually think Peralta is perfect for the pen. I think if he knew he was only pitching the one inning, he can easily get into the upper 90s with his fastball, could make a big difference. I hope they don't just make him the long man, as he'll encounter the same problems. I'd really like to see what he can do going one inning at a time.

Peralta certainly pitched his way out of the rotation, and I'm excited to see how some of the guys from the minors due. That said, this move probably assures that Peralta will be let go after the season. He's making $4.275M in his second year of arby, meaning he'll likely make $6-7M next year. If by some chance he could have "found it" as a starter, he could have justified that salary, but I can't imagine the Brewers will pay that for a middle reliever.

But, we might as well see if we can get some value out of the $4.275M we're obligated to pay, so hopefully he will pitch well out of the pen for the rest of the season.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Haha I like that description, "obnoxious".

Well this probably explains the Jhan Marinez DFA.

They needed his spot for Espino.

still don't think one had to do with the other, i think peralta had another bad outing they had to do something.

wonder what the corresponding move will be, im assuming suter is going back down, but who knows?

Well this probably explains the Jhan Marinez DFA.

They needed his spot for Espino.

still don't think one had to do with the other, i think peralta had another bad outing they had to do something.

wonder what the corresponding move will be, im assuming suter is going back down, but who knows?

My guess is Suter or Davies (if he pitches poorly today).

Davies next scheduled turn after today will be May 24. However, because of the off day on Monday May 22, Espino could pitch May 19 and again on regular rest on May 24.

This.

Peralta certainly pitched his way out of the rotation, and I'm excited to see how some of the guys from the minors due. That said, this move probably assures that Peralta will be let go after the season. He's making $4.275M in his second year of arby, meaning he'll likely make $6-7M next year. If by some chance he could have "found it" as a starter, he could have justified that salary, but I can't imagine the Brewers will pay that for a middle reliever.

But, we might as well see if we can get some value out of the $4.275M we're obligated to pay, so hopefully he will pitch well out of the pen for the rest of the season.

Couple ways they could handle this.

If he flops in the pen too, then yeah certainly we just go ahead and non tender him.

Best case scenario, Peralta turns into a dominant late inning guy, and if so, you probably tender him anyway, even at that price.

If you don't want to pay that, you can tender and trade him, marketing him as a late inning power reliever, and with the price of bullpen pitching these days, you probably get a nice return.

If he just pitches 'ok' out of the pen, they might see if they can just sign him for a lesser rate than they would pay in arbitration, either before or after non-tendering him.

But I don't see any scenario that he pitches very well out of the pen and they just let him walk for nothing. And I don't necessarily know that they see him as a middle reliever. Not eventually anyway. I think they envision him pitching important, and maybe late, innings.

What jumps out to me are his k ratio (over 1 per inning) and total walks (5- less than one PER START)!

Deserving of a start. Sad though because I have never heard of the guy.... I thought I followed the minors fairly closely.

The guy has really put in his time! Portions of 6 seasons in AA, and 7 seasons in AAA! Pitched great in the Dominican Winter League this past winter, pitching great this year in AAA. It'll be easy rooting for him to succeed
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

What jumps out to me are his k ratio (over 1 per inning) and total walks (5- less than one PER START)!

Deserving of a start. Sad though because I have never heard of the guy.... I thought I followed the minors fairly closely.

The Brewers only signed him right before Thanksgiving... you can give yourself half of a pass on this one :)

Cross your fingers that he is Junior Guerra 2.0

If Peralta looks good in the pen they will just eat that money next year almost for sure. The payroll is basically nothing so they can afford to do that. If he is mediocre in the pen than cut bait and that is fine.

He made his mlb debut on the road against the division rival defending champs. He was fine.

Peralta's pen debut was sensational. It's just one game, but psychologically it could be a big deal. If I'm him, I'm thinking "Huh. Maybe this isn't so bad."

Curious to see if Espino gets one more start or not.

When is Guerra's last rehab start? Might determine a lot. I said it in the game thread but I'll repeat here. He was fine but didn't look like he was anything special. Soft tosser like Davies that needs his control to be almost perfect for success. Can see why it took 10 years to get here. Happy for him though.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

On a different day with a different wind, he gives up at least two home runs. He wasn't locating as well as he normally does. Not sure what combination of that was nerves and the weather.

Yeah I think the weather could've been a factor both ways.

I don't think he should stay in the rotation when Guerra is back, but I wouldn't be opposed to him getting a few more starts if another spot opens up soon. It's his MLB debut against the reigning WS champions at Wrigley Field, in very poor conditions. I'd like to see a bit more, in more normal conditions, before I make up my mind about him.

Guerra's second rehab start is tonight, and we have an off day on Monday which means he'd be lined up perfectly to start on Thursday which would be Espino's next start, so it's pretty obvious that Espino is headed back down.

The only chance he probably has is if Anderson pitches poorly again today. If that happens, maybe they send Anderson down to work things out and either give Espino or Guerra an extra day rest and let them start on Friday. But that would be an awfully tight leash to pull on Anderson given his great April and the fact that he's only had like 3 bad starts (I guess today would make it 4 in this case). To send down Anderson you'd have to be pretty convinced there's something wrong with him to give his spot to a career minor leaguer who only went 4 innings in his first start.

Nelson and Davies saved themselves for now and one of them was probably the best chance Espino had at sticking around after Guerra came back.

Unless they want to send Espino to the pen, I'd say he's pretty likely going back down.

Braun is eligible to return tomorrow, so there will be another move coming soon. My guess would be with the day off Monday they keep him on the DL yet tomorrow and make a move Monday or early Tuesday.

Braun activated, Cravy sent back down.

Two first-class flights and almost $3000 in gross salary for Cravy for being called up for a day. Not a bad day's work.

Cravy may not think so :)

Archived