Brewer Fanatic

Paolo Espino scratched - is there a move coming

patrickgpe

From Adam McCalvy "

Why didn't Paolo Espino pitch as scheduled today? After asking around, I think this falls into the category of "stay tuned."

If he is coming up to Milwaukee, i wonder where he would go. I don't see a rotation spot for him, and i can't see him pitching long relief. Maybe there was more to the Marinez DFA than I thought.

Guerra is about ready to join rotation. Wily just moved out presumably to make room for Guerra. Would espino come up to go into bullpen? Weird and wild stuff.

I thought Junior was making one more start in Biloxi?

Yep gotta think Espino is gonna get one shot on Friday. If they like what they see who knows? But I'm super stoked to see Peralta in the pen. Actually been been beating this dead horse for the last year in a half. I think he'll have a hell of a lot more value as a high leverage reliever.

Guerra is about ready to join rotation. Wily just moved out presumably to make room for Guerra. Would espino come up to go into bullpen? Weird and wild stuff.

I thought Junior was making one more start in Biloxi?

Yeah probably. So espino up for one start? Hmm.

Never heard of this guy before and was pretty surprised how I could have missed a Brewer pitching prospect. Looked him up to see he's a 30 year old who's never made the majors. I understand so was Guerra and Espino's minor league numbers look decent but I'm guessing he's just another part of the revolving door bullpen this year.

Could be but then they will have to send somebody else to the minors to make room for Guerra. Based on past moves Suter is likely to go back down but if they like Espino as a starter maybe Davies is optioned if he doesn't turn it around.

I still like Wily. I wish they had broken him in via the pen. I've long wanted to break in more pitchers via the pen to give them success and learn to attack hitters. Wily has always struggled with off-speed consistency (although it's far better thus far in 2017), and the pen would allow him to really learn the nuances of retiring big leaguers. I hate to give the Cards any credit, but they've turned middling prospects into legit starters with this as part of their method.

I still like Wily. I wish they had broken him in via the pen. I've long wanted to break in more pitchers via the pen to give them success and learn to attack hitters. Wily has always struggled with off-speed consistency (although it's far better thus far in 2017), and the pen would allow him to really learn the nuances of retiring big leaguers. I hate to give the Cards any credit, but they've turned middling prospects into legit starters with this as part of their method.

I'm of the same mind. That was something that used to be more common. My theory as to why they don't any more is teams don't want to waste a year of control for for so few innings.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Thurston, I think that's right. But I'd rather give a kid 75 games to work on things than 25-30 starts. It's different for every kid, but we always could tell Wily didn't attack hitters despite great stuff

Here's a good piece on Espino from BP Milwaukee back in March:

http://milwaukee.locals.baseballprospectus.com/2017/03/24/command-and-curves-paolo-espino/

Thanks for the article link. This makes me intrigued to see what this guy can do. Clearly a plan here to try find another older prospect Guerra type. If he performs they can find a place for him in the rotation.

Seriously, I know this is way jumping the gun, but if Espino turns out to be this year's Junior Guerra, Stearns deserves GM of the Year.

And before anyone says he needs to have a contender -- well, if Espino turned out like that, we probably WOULD be.

Seriously, I know this is way jumping the gun, but if Espino turns out to be this year's Junior Guerra, Stearns deserves GM of the Year.

And before anyone says he needs to have a contender -- well, if Espino turned out like that, we probably WOULD be.

Without either they are a first place team a quarter into the season.

It would be great if he ends up having a season like Guerra had last year, but I don't think that's the plan. I think they wanted to use the guys they had until Guerra was ready, but with the way Peralta's been pitching, and the fact they are now in first place and facing the Cubs, they didn't want him to get that start.

Espino has pitched very well this year in Colorado, and is deserving of a spot start, so he will probably get it. Then Guerra will be back, and Espino will probably go back to AAA. If there are no other needs for spot starts in the near future, he will get passed up by the top prospects, who will be called up to get starts later in the year.

This would be his spot to shine. I hope he pitches a great game and gives the Brewers something to think about. Even if that doesn't happen, he was signed as a veteran "AAA roster filler" guy, and turning that into a chance to get a start for a first place team facing the defending World Series champs gives him something to tell his grandkids.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I like the way they're handling this. They could have easily trotted Peralta out for another start or two until Guerra comes back. Instead, they give a guy like Espino a start or two. If he pitches poorly. so what, no different that if Peralta would have started. But if he shines, now you have choices. If Davies keeps struggling, he could be sent down. If they trade Garza later on, they have a better idea if Espino can finish out the year. Or maybe they add him to the pen.

Archived