Brewer Fanatic

Is Cameron Maybin No Longer Being Considered?

I've read quite a lot from the knowledgeable posters on this great board over the past few days about the Brewers seemingly looking more towards a college bat, such as Ryan Braun, or Tulo if he falls past the Mariners.

Hearing Jim Callis' and Jim Powel's conversation in the pre-game today without either even mentioning Cam Maybin as a possibilty for the Brewers surprised me greatly, and has me somewhat concerned that the Crew may overlooking this talented prospect...

It seems like the buzz in the baseball world, and on this board for this matter, has shifted away from Maybin (who was widely linked to the Brewers in mocks for sometime) and towards a player like Braun, a late riser, much like Rodgers was last year...?

I must say I'm still in my infancy in following all the aspects of the baseball draft (this is the third year I've really followed it...so forgive me if this post reaks of a novice), but I just have this feeling now that Maybin will be passed over...much like say Homer Bailey was last year in favor of Rodgers.

Regarding Maybin, he'd be my pick, as feel he is a far more talented BASEBALL PLAYER than Braun, Tulo, etc. And when you have a pick this high, you try everything you can to take the best player available regardless of position.

Am I off base with worrying? Do the Brewers still seemingly like Maybin at #5? Were Callis and Powell simply overlooking him?

What gives???

Keep in mind that everyone at BA has brought up time and time again that no team is more secretive than the Brewers, so while they're projecting the pick to be either Braun or Tulo, that doesn't mean Maybin is out of the picture.

Although I do think the Brewers would like to fill their 3B of the future void, and given the depth of 3B in this draft, you're probably not going to find a better year to do so.

I think drafting to fill major league position voids is the height of stupidity. Take the best baseball players and see what happens. No one Milwaukee takes is going to see Miller Park until 2008 at the earliest anyway.

"No one Milwaukee drafts will see Miller Park before 2008 anyway".

That is certainly not necessarily true. Sheets was in starting rotation less than 2 years after being drafted. Weeks appears ready offensively now, just 2 years after being drafted. If they draft a college player at a need position, you put them on the fast track.

There is no need for a highly rated college position player to start below high A ball. There have been guys taken out of college that have gone straight to the big leagues. I'm not advocating that but some guys are talented enought not to need 3 years of seasoning.

to supplement out great coverage here, the chicagotribune.com site has some nice infomation through the sports network up currently for the draft....below is a snippet on Maybin, and several hundred other are profiled for free as well.

*** MLB Draft Profile - Cameron Maybin ***

From The Sports Network

Position: OF

High School: T.C. Roberson (Asheville, NC)

College: None

Height: 6-3

Weight: 200

NOTES:

Likely a top five selection...Set a North Carolina season record for average (.662, 47-for-71) this past season and also set the single season (66) record for runs and career mark (164) for same category...Tied career state record with 41 homers...Had 32 walks and 32 steals in as many attempts this year...Centerfielder possesses great instinct and gets great jump on baseball...Strong throwing arm...Head coach Tom Smith indicates Maybin, who is a five-tool player, is being compared to Vladimir Guerrero...Only weakness may

have been playing in a weak conference...MVP of Connie Mack World Series with five homers, including one inside-the-park...Committed to Southern University, where Rickie Weeks went...Hit a homer as a junior that was measured at 490 feet...Twice selected Gatorade Player of Year in NC...Never missed a game due to injury...Darren Holmes went to same high school, graduated in 1983 and is

currently the pitching coach for the team now.

06/01 17:31:38 ET

From BA's Draft Tracker on Cameron Maybin:

Clubs don?t doubt Maybin?s talent, but his reported asking price and the trend of drafting college players makes his draft position uncertain.

I wouldn't give into his asking price. He's committed to Southern. Make him sweat first. He should sign for slot value.

I really like maybin, and i think he would be a great pick up for us. I really dont like braun, there is something that i didnt like about him. IDK what it is but i have that feeling. but i dont see maybins contract demands as such a bad thing. we dont have a 2nd round pick so why not spend alittle more for a guy that could become an all-star at the major league level. And we all know that Jack Z doesnt tip his hand on what he is planning to draft, i have a feeling we will draft maybin. Has anyone heard maybin connected to anyother organization besides the brewers?

Archived