Brewer Fanatic

20 years ago today, a Brewers legend was born

Invader3K

I was waiting for someone to post about this.

My brothers and I built a wiffleball park on my parents property and to this day when we get a 2-0 count on one of us someone will be yelling something along the lines of “What would Chuckie do?!” “”You better be hackin’!” etc.

From the article:

"The Brewers were aware of Carr's reputation as a me-first player before acquiring him from the Florida Marlins in January 1996," Journal Sentinel beat writer Tom Haudricourt wrote at the time. "They ignored it because he possessed the one talent in short supply in the organization: superior speed."

If anyone thought that speed was the only talent the late 90's Brewers were missing, they were delusional.

Carr's OPS+ in his 50 PA that season was -1. I didn't know it was possible to have a negative OPS+. He personally should have had to pay fans to watch him play.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I would love to hear Chuckie talk about this. Be a nice "where are they now" feature.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I love seeing this. Brewers history isn't exactly first-rate, but history is always interesting.

The five most PTSD-inducing words in that article: "Brewers General Manager Sal Bando." I would have taken a team full of Chuckies for a year if it meant we never had to have Bando as GM. The single worst, most destructive figure in Brewers history.

Archived