Brewer Fanatic

Marinez DFA'ed, Suter recalled

adambr2

So that begs the question, is something up where they wanted the 40-man spot, or did they just dump Marinez because he has been terrible?

i think its as simple as Marinez has not been as good as last year and they wanted a lefty on the staff.

This was an easy move. No reason to keep Jhan at all. Peralta has got to be on life support at this point as well.

Peralta can be sent to AAA, can't he? Though that's an awfully expensive AAA pitcher, I'd have to think they'd do that before just cutting their losses and eating $4M. That or a trip to the pen.

Peralta used his last option in 2016 so he would have to go through the same DFA process.

They should still be able to outright him without DFA'ing him. They would have to place him on waivers, but given his salary, he'd almost for sure go unclaimed, and he would accept the assignment to Colorado Springs since there's no way he'd want to forfeit a few million dollars.

EDIT: Wait...I'm not totally sure about this but I think they are typically DFA'ed prior to being outrighted which would be consistent with what you just said. :)

Maybe they intend to put Peralta in the pen now and have Suter make a start or two until Guerra returns or perhaps they felt now was the best time to get Marinez through waivers. They could be thinking there's a team out there that would make a minor deal for Marinez too. We just saw a Met team with serious bullpen issues. Peralta's remaining salary for 2017 is about $3.3 million. There are teams out there desperate enough for starting pitching that it would not be a shock for one of them to claim him.

Wily has looked much better this year. His velocity is up. His slider is sharp. He's throwing a curve. Really, he's had some outstanding starts and a couple that were a pitch or two from being good. I don't want him dropped from the rotation.

I'm a bit surprised they didn't call up a bat for a few days while Shaw is out. The bench is really short-handed now.

They were just as shorthanded when Braun was active but not available. BTW, Cooper is not in the lineup for CS tonight and there's now a roster spot open on the 40 man. If it looks like Shaw will be out more than a day or two, they might DL him and bring up Cooper. In the meantime Suter replaces Marinez. Updated...just realized Cooper was placed on 7 day DL earlier today.

Wily has looked much better this year. His velocity is up. His slider is sharp. He's throwing a curve. Really, he's had some outstanding starts and a couple that were a pitch or two from being good. I don't want him dropped from the rotation.

Looked much better? He's got an ERA over 6 and his FIP doesn't show much improvement from that. He's got the fastball and slider to succeed in the pen which is why I would advocate trying him there but I don't know that I've ever seen a pitcher make so many mistakes on 2 strike pitches and leave one out over the heart of the plate as I've seen Wily do this year.

Its too bad Marinez completely lost his command. It seemed like his fastball was moving more than ever, to his detriment. With him showing no sign of getting back to the pitcher he was, it was time to move on.

Smart to add a pitcher we can option, as it looks like Peralta will be moving to the bullpen where he belongs soon. Suter can go back down when Guerra is activated, assuming everyone is healthy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Sadly, Marinez is coming off what was probably his best outing of the year, as his 2.2 IP with only 1 ER gave the Brewers a chance to get back into the game on Mother's Day.

He also allowed 2 of Peralta's runners to score and didn't record a single strikeout. It was really disappointing for a pitcher with his stuff.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Marinez had always shown pretty questionable control throughout his career. In the minors, he walked 256 in 432 innings. That's not good. Last year he was pretty good - but like so many guys like him, he reverted to form. Not a surprise.

If you released Wily I am betting a team claims him. Tommy Milone got claimed and Wily Peralta is 10x more interesting.

Also costs 4X as much. No big deal to throw around a million bucks. 4M on a 6 ERA project guy is a little riskier.

Archived