Brewer Fanatic

Which pitchers in the starting rotation now will end up in the BP this year?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Guillera is almost back and will push someone out of the rotation. But we also have some AA/AAA talent that might push their way in this year.

So, not just focusing on who will lose their SP job... Who might actually be reclaimed as a decent RP?

Current rotation:

Peralta

Nelson

Anderson

Davies

Garza

I'd probably put money down that Peralta is the first man out. And I think that he is probably the best candidate to be a better RP than SP. He can focus down to his best two pitches. And his straight-as-an-arrow FB at 95-96 might tick up to 98-99, which would make it a little harder to hit than now.

I'd guess Anderson is the next likely to lose their SP spot and Nelson after him. Nelson could be decent in the BP if he keeps his control (granted the same can be said as an SP). I don't see Anderson's stuff translating to the BP as well.

Guerra needs a long rehab. He was not effective this spring and needs to stretch out before being inserted back in the rotation. Espino up, Marinez or out, Peralta to the bullpen pen. When Guerra is ready, Nelson to AAA if he is still struggling or Espino if he is not good. Burgos, Woodruff, Wang and Archer should all be options if the pitching does not improve soon.

I'd guess Anderson is the next likely to lose their SP spot and Nelson after him. Nelson could be decent in the BP if he keeps his control (granted the same can be said as an SP). I don't see Anderson's stuff translating to the BP as well.

I'm curious. Why would you have Anderson be the next up for demotion after Peralta, when he has basically been the Brewers best starter overall this year? I get that his secondary stats are pretty similar to Nelson's, so it seems he's been a little bit lucky, but if Davies doesn't start putting things together soon, I think he would have to be next in line for demotion after Peralta.

I'm curious. Why would you have Anderson be the next up for demotion after Peralta, when he has basically been the Brewers best starter overall this year? I get that his secondary stats are pretty similar to Nelson's, so it seems he's been a little bit lucky, but if Davies doesn't start putting things together soon, I think he would have to be next in line for demotion after Peralta.

The only downside of a team that APPEARS to be a year ahead of schedule in their rebuilding process. Peralta and Nelson have smaller window's to prove their should/could be part of the future rotations. I think if either becomes a reliever it's a pretty huge disappointment...especially given how the Brewers are pumping out really good hard throwing relievers like Barnes and Knebel right now. But I would keep Anderson in the rotation as he looks like his improvement is legitimate and he might yield a nice prospect in return. Garza hopefully only makes another 8-9 starts for this team and hopefully they're similar to the first 4. And Anderson looks like he's genuinely improved his cutter which is resulting in more swings out of the zone for him than last year by a significant margin. Both guys could bring back a couple lower level guys who aren't a teams top 5-8 prospects but who have the stuff or tools to potentially become big time prospects.

Just wish both of these guys could string together some consistent starts. We've already seen both pitch reallywell in the big leagues, so we know the ability is there...just no consistency.

Peralta is who he is at this point. We've seen enough. He's not consistent. He can get on a roll from time to time, but he's not a reliable starter on a first division team.

Nelson may be headed to that too but I'd give him more time. What's positive with Nelson is that he is solid the first time through. I think he can be a nice 6th-7th inning reliever.

I'd get Woody up here now. Let Peralta into the pen. If Peralta is more of the same in the pen, then you move on from him in 2018. It happens.

Garza, Anderson, Woody, Davies, Nelson.

When Guerra is ready, something will have to give. Too early to worry about that now.

Hader needs to improve his control. I wonder where that's headed.

Peralta is who he is at this point. We've seen enough. He's not consistent. He can get on a roll from time to time, but he's not a reliable starter on a first division team.

Nelson may be headed to that too but I'd give him more time. What's positive with Nelson is that he is solid the first time through. I think he can be a nice 6th-7th inning reliever.

I'd get Woody up here now. Let Peralta into the pen. If Peralta is more of the same in the pen, then you move on from him in 2018. It happens.

Garza, Anderson, Woody, Davies, Nelson.

When Guerra is ready, something will have to give. Too early to worry about that now.

Hader needs to improve his control. I wonder where that's headed.

I agree on Wily as a starter. He doesn't deserve to stick around in the rotation once Guerra returns.

Thing is, he's a sunk cost this year and his stuff is good enough when he's on that you may as well try to salvage him as a reliever. If it works out, great. If it doesn't, he's a non-tender guy after the year.

Nelson probably has a little bit longer leash as a starter, but not much.

Jimmy Nelson is #35 in the league at FIP- among qualified starters. Not sure what he is supposed to prove to people. Is it just people don't realize that we are now in a high scoring environment again?

I would expect he needs to prove to people that he is better than the 5.12 FIP he put up last year if he's going to hang onto a rotation spot, and it's going to take more than 38 innings to do that.

Chase's ERA is down, but like you said, his secondary stats don't match. But having said that, I'm not talking about sending him down today. Just thinking about which starters are long(er) term and which starters might be legit RPs for a playoff BP.

Peralta to the bullpen is obvious and necessary.

In 2011, Houston moved a similar pitcher, Brett Myers, from starter to closer, at about this time of year. He was dealt for 3 PTBNL after the season. One of those turned out to be Chris Devenski, the high leverage reliever for Houston now. I'm sure Sterns is very aware of that move.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

None. I think they play DL shuffle, move someone to AAA, trade, but nobody goes to bp.

You don't think they move someone to the pen or you don't think any of our starters is worth more as an RP?

With us finally having some MiLB starters pushing for a MLB spot, I think we finally give up on a couple of these guys making it as a starter. Its been a while since we can say that.

None. I think they play DL shuffle, move someone to AAA, trade, but nobody goes to bp.

You don't think they move someone to the pen or you don't think any of our starters is worth more as an RP?

With us finally having some MiLB starters pushing for a MLB spot, I think we finally give up on a couple of these guys making it as a starter. Its been a while since we can say that.

I don't think they'll move one of them to the pen. Not saying I agree, just what I think will happen. I see them giving all these starters a long leash hoping at least one of them can turn things around. So someone will come up with a mysterious strain, at some point maybe Peralta or Davies gets sent down, etc. I just don't see them moving any of them to the BP.

And I will say this. I agree with sending Peralta to the BP. However, I disagree with some that say he will be great as a relief pitcher. We have no idea how he would respond. If he grooves fastballs and can't find the strike zone with his slider, that combo doesn't translate any better as a reliever. But I have no problem with the experiment.

I don't think Wily would do well in relief because he would be gassed by the time he made it to the mound from the pen.

Simple solution right here.

http://cdn1.bloguin.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/113/2010/02/bullpencar400.jpg

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Have been a Peralta supporter for a while... still believes he deserves a few more starts. A six-man rotation would be my quick fix solution when Guerra returns. Yet, if he doesn't show a better version of himself by early June or so, I'd send him to the pen for middle relief. He still has a good arm, throws harder that most.

Peralta could give the pen a huge boost. Tons of top relievers failed as starters. He'll get one maybe two more starts before Guerra returns. Anderson is who is is, a guy who battles but not an innings eater. In the end he'll provide 175 or so innings with an ERA around 4-4,50. For a 4th or 5th starter, that's fine.

Wily gets a win in his first outing from the BP. On the day where he was slated to be the starter. Ironic.

If Anderson flunks out of the SP rotation, I don't see much upside in the BP other than a long man role.

Archived