Brewer Fanatic

MUST-SEE MOVIES

On 4/9/2022 at 4:41 PM, RobertR said:

Speaking of "Must See Movies" I'd like to refer everyone to EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME which is absolutely terrific. It's exciting, funny, thoughtful, silly, profane, and emotional. Even has good martial arts scenes. And a terrific Michelle Yeoh performance. 

I'd go so far as to use the word "masterpiece".

Finally saw it tonight; I enjoyed it more than any of the Best Picture nominees from last year (that I got to watch…sorry CODA).  It uses content and ideas from pop culture, and repurposes them to tell a remarkably relatable story.

….and I hate to admit I didn’t recognize the auditor until the closing credits.

I finally saw The Batman.  Certainly different from other Batman movies.  Some thoughts:

• Bruce Wayne looked like a Japanese Anime version
  • A lot of the same chord progressions and music as John Williams in Star Wars movies
  • When I heard Jim Gordon, I could not stop from seeing "The Watcher"
Spoiler
  • His motorcycle must be so quiet to sneak up on Catwoman at the end.
  • I was not aware that Martha was from the Arkham family.  How dense have I been?  ?‍♀️

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Friday I watched - The Gentlemen.  I feel as though we've come to expect a certain *type* of film from Guy Ritchie.  There's certain beats. There's a rhythm, and tenor to his films.  There's familiar plot twists (or so you think) and even though it's familiar, it still feels well done.  The dialogue is always so extremely well done that I never feel like I'm waiting for the next scene to get here.  I never feel like I'm in a Tarantino movie, impatient for the exposition to end so I can actually feel the story start to move forward.  Matt McConaghey was superb in this one.  The twist was reasonably predictable, as Guy Ritchie twists are wont to be, but that doesn't make the movie any less good for that.  

Went to see Dr Strange and the Multiverse of Madness friday night.  Gotta watch how I review this, as I want to keep it spoiler free.  First off, it was good. It wasn't great, but it was good. There's a lot of reviewers calling this a "horror" film, and I'm going to say this.  I don't know what kind of horror films these people are watching, but this isn't a horror movie.  There's a few jump scares, and a few things that I'd call *creepy*, but I never got the feeling that this was anything even close to resembling a horror film.  There's some psychological drama, but again, not horror.  There's a few cool easter eggs splashed throughout, and the action sequences are (it almost goes without saying for a Marvel film) over the top fantastic.

I have one gripe, and I'll be as careful as I can without throwing spoilers in here.  

I feel as though every single show and movie since Endgame has directly or indirectly been about dealing with the fallout of "The Snap".  At *some point* the MCU has to move on from that event (I know it was huge!  Half the universe was wiped out!), and start writing stories that aren't dealing with the consequences of that event. I think it's great that the shared universe of all these stories have very real effects on each other and that the writers haven't created planet-sized plot holes in each others' stories, but at some point, I think the "Because Thanos" storyline has to be left in the dust.  (In my opinion, of course)

That gripe aside, it was entertaining as heck, and it's an absolute "go see in a theater" movie.

6 hours ago, RoCoBrewfan said:

Went to see Dr Strange and the Multiverse of Madness friday night.  Gotta watch how I review this, as I want to keep it spoiler free.  First off, it was good. It wasn't great, but it was good. There's a lot of reviewers calling this a "horror" film, and I'm going to say this.  I don't know what kind of horror films these people are watching, but this isn't a horror movie.  There's a few jump scares, and a few things that I'd call *creepy*, but I never got the feeling that this was anything even close to resembling a horror film.  There's some psychological drama, but again, not horror.  There's a few cool easter eggs splashed throughout, and the action sequences are (it almost goes without saying for a Marvel film) over the top fantastic.

They’re watching Sam Raimi movies, as there are directorial flourishes to how certain characters….end their fight scenes….which would not be out of place in the Evil Dead trilogy.  The film is not gore-y, but it’s not like any of the other MCU films in that respect.

As to the post-Thanos part of things - GETTING MORE SPOILERY HERE - the only part that’s really related to the snap is Wanda’s story.  The Doctor’s romantic arc is certainly affected by his having been dusted for 5 years, but there’s a multiverse full of evidence as to how things work out between them.

I’m exceedingly curious as to which direction the films go after this one, particularly the interplay between this movie & the Loki Disney+ series.

9 hours ago, bjkrautk said:

They’re watching Sam Raimi movies, as there are directorial flourishes to how certain characters….end their fight scenes….which would not be out of place in the Evil Dead trilogy.  The film is not gore-y, but it’s not like any of the other MCU films in that respect.

As to the post-Thanos part of things - GETTING MORE SPOILERY HERE - the only part that’s really related to the snap is Wanda’s story.  The Doctor’s romantic arc is certainly affected by his having been dusted for 5 years, but there’s a multiverse full of evidence as to how things work out between them.

I’m exceedingly curious as to which direction the films go after this one, particularly the interplay between this movie & the Loki Disney+ series.

The last Spider-Man and the new Doctor Strange movie are basically setting up the next phase for Marvel.  

• 3 months later...

My wife is a fan of the How Did This Get Made podcast where they watch and recap awful movies. We bought tix to the live taping of the show in Chicago and Morbius with Jared Leto is the film du jour.

We watched Morbius last night.

Do not watch Morbius.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

On 4/23/2022 at 7:38 PM, RobertR said:

Yeah, my bad.

Still 100% worth going out of your way to see.

I rented this last weekend. Fantastic movie. 

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Coherence (2013)

It's kind of like a Twilight Zone story, a tight, 90 minute, mind bender with an 8 person cast and nearly zero special effects. The setting of the movie is entirely contained in and around one house and a dinner party among longtime friends, on a night that a rare comet is passing close to Earth.

It was really good, there came a moment perhaps in the first 30 minutes where I thought I had figured it out. Nope. I was kind of on the right track but also not really.

It's free on Amazon Prime right now.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

3 hours ago, SeaBass said:

Coherence (2013)

It's kind of like a Twilight Zone story, a tight, 90 minute, mind bender with an 8 person cast and nearly zero special effects. The setting of the movie is entirely contained in and around one house and a dinner party among longtime friends, on a night that a rare comet is passing close to Earth.

It was really good, there came a moment perhaps in the first 30 minutes where I thought I had figured it out. Nope. I was kind of on the right track but also not really.

I watched that maybe 7 or 8 years ago. Kind of a hidden gem. They made it for basically no money.

Another one sorta like that that I recommend is The Invitation (not the movie that's out now, this one is from 2015).

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2022 at 6:37 PM, SeaBass said:

Coherence (2013)

Watched this on your recommendation and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Thanks very much 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 1:57 PM, Samurai Bucky said:

Army of Thieves was pretty good.  Don't know if I will watch Army of the Dead, though.

Ha - I didn't even realize they were connected.  I started Army of the Dead, but didn't get a chance to finish it.  Army of Thieves was on my list to watch.  I will have to get to it.

• 4 months later...
20 hours ago, TURBO said:

I really enjoyed The Menu as well as Violent Night.

Just great movies to sit down and enjoy...

Went to the theatre to see The Menu - it was not what I thought it was going to be, so that was fun!

Also saw Glass Onion on Netflix and enjoyed that one as well, but I was able to figure this one out whereas the last one I had little idea.

Has anyone invested 3 hours in seeing Babylon?

I've seen the trailors many many times and I still don't really know what it is about.  lol

I have a crush on Margot Robbie, which is really the only reason I am considering going.

Anyone?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Since no one could vouch for Babylon, decided to take a chance and go see M3GAN.

It was an interesting flick, and I liked it, but nothing earth shattering.  Glad I went but probably not for everybody.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• 2 weeks later...

I've already seen 3 of the Best Picture Nominees!

1. Everything Everywhere All at Once

2. Top Gun: Maverick

3. Elvis (I'm not sure whether the movie Tom Hanks thought he was in would've been better or worse than the one everyone else filmed.)

I'm rarely recent on my movie watching so bear with me...

Saw "Knives Out" and really enjoyed it.  Daniel Craig's Kentucky drawl was bad (especially early in the film), but the plot and the twists were excellent.  I figured out the how, but not the who of the movie. I had both of Kenneth Branagh's Hercule Poirot movies figured out before the end (Murder on the Orient Express and  Death on the Nile - still good movies), but this one had me guessing to the end. 

On the opposite side, I saw Wonder Woman 1984.... ugh.  How bad can a super hero movie be??? I can't think of a single redeeming aspect of this film.  It just kept getting worse and worse.  Pedro, this is not the way!

The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.