Brewer Fanatic

MUST-SEE MOVIES

The middle one (IMO of course) was the weakest. It wasn't bad, but it it just didn't pop the way the first one and the new one did.

I loved this movie today. It has a lot less focus on the action and more on building the world and the story, but there's still plenty of set pieces that move along with the story. Ralph Fiennes is simply an amazing actor, and I have never seen a movie he's in that wasn't great.

I feel the same. 1st one was my fave, followed by 3.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Saw The Batman. I have comic burnout, but am a huge Batman guy so I had to see it. Very, very good if you like the true to source material character. More detective and less brute. I have some nit-picky things but it's well done. It is the best depiction of the comic book character by a wide margin.

I saw this come out and was stunned they were rebooting the series already. I've watched them all since Michael Kean days and thought they peaked with The Dark Knight trilogy (good action, excellent supporting casts, nice plot twists, cool toys). I'm not sure I'm ready for another series... Of course, this seems like the only hero DC comics does well.

Trying to get a jump-start on my Oscars 2022 Best Picture watch, while I still have a 4K Netflix subscription. (Especially since Marcus Theaters won't movie marathon any film they didn't give a theatrical run....if that's still a thing they do in the COVID-times.) Watched Power of the Dog, which...went places I wasn't quite expecting. While most of the movie was about Cumberbatch's character, I don't feel like the relationship between the Jesse Plemons and Kirsten Dunst characters was well-defined or well-served by the story (which is ironic, since they are a real-life couple).

Will probably watch Tick, Tick, Boom next; I have heard good things about Andrew Garfield's performance (and he might have been in some other thing I watched recently), and I will probably carve out some time for Lost Daughter & Don't Look Up as well. Anything else I should keep an eye out for?

It's probably on the bubble, but DRIVE MY CAR is playing at the Oriental and it's excellent. (Janus is distributing it, so it's likely to end up on Criterion ultimately.) LICORICE PIZZA is also still in theaters. As are WEST SIDE STORY and HOUSE OF GUCCI, although I can't imagine for too much longer.

BELFAST is available for VOD rental, albeit at $19.99 I'm holding out for a bit.

DUNE is my favorite blockbuster of the year. It's widely available for rent although it will probably be back on HBO Max before the Oscars. Same with KING RICHARD. CODA is on Apple+, although I think it's a long shot.

Be aware that THE LOST DAUGHTER is not a thriller. And Olivia Colman/Jessie Buckley do things that makes the character unlikable even if you understand why.

BEING THE RICARDOS, which I don't think works despite some valiant efforts, is on PRIME.

I think AMC still does the Best Picture marathon thing.

I absolutely loved DUNE. Denis is one of my favorite Big Picture Directors in recent memory. The way he paces his films and the stunning shots couple with understated scores are all just super tastefully done. I thought he absolutely nailed BLADERUNNER: 2049 as well. Very excited for Dune II in 2023.

Saw The Batman. I have comic burnout, but am a huge Batman guy so I had to see it. Very, very good if you like the true to source material character. More detective and less brute. I have some nit-picky things but it's well done. It is the best depiction of the comic book character by a wide margin.

I have not seen it, yet. A friend of mine said that it was not good at all. He thought there was a lot of "woke" ideas in the storyline. Did you get that impression?

On 3/4/2022 at 5:37 PM, RoCoBrewfan said:

Watched "The Green Knight" this afternoon. My goodness what an audio and visual feast. So many people have complained and downvoted this movie for not having enough action and fight scenes, but if you know the story of Sir Gawain and The Green Knight, you'd know going in that it's not really an action/adventure story, but a story of discovery. Within that framework, it's an absolutely mesmerizing film that just crushes the visual aspect, and if you have surround sound, just absolutely crank it. Disappointed I missed this one in the theater, because it feels like it deserves that kind of viewing experience.

I saw it in a theater at 10 AM on a Sunday opening weekend with people who knew what they were getting into. I thought it was great. 

People would probably complain that Excalibur is slow these days.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2022 at 5:37 PM, RobertR said:

It's probably on the bubble, but DRIVE MY CAR is playing at the Oriental and it's excellent. (Janus is distributing it, so it's likely to end up on Criterion ultimately.) LICORICE PIZZA is also still in theaters. As are WEST SIDE STORY and HOUSE OF GUCCI, although I can't imagine for too much longer.

BELFAST is available for VOD rental, albeit at $19.99 I'm holding out for a bit.

DUNE is my favorite blockbuster of the year. It's widely available for rent although it will probably be back on HBO Max before the Oscars. Same with KING RICHARD. CODA is on Apple+, although I think it's a long shot.

Be aware that THE LOST DAUGHTER is not a thriller. And Olivia Colman/Jessie Buckley do things that makes the character unlikable even if you understand why.

BEING THE RICARDOS, which I don't think works despite some valiant efforts, is on PRIME.

I think AMC still does the Best Picture marathon thing.

Belfast is now available to rent and was excellent. 

On 3/11/2022 at 11:07 AM, Samurai Bucky said:

I have not seen it, yet. A friend of mine said that it was not good at all. He thought there was a lot of "woke" ideas in the storyline. Did you get that impression?

Does your friend watch Fox news?

There's like one line in the film where Zoe Kravitz's Catwoman says something along the lines that the privileged don't care about the little people. And I suppose that the Riddler's plot evolves into QAnon territory. But, otherwise, it's basically the same type of gritty Batman story that they've been doing on and off in the comics since the 1970s, with heavy influence from Year One and The Long Halloween, with big doses of Se7en and Zodiac mixed in.

Probably a controversial thing but Run Hide Fight was actually a pretty good movie that isn't getting the recognition it deserves.

As for Batman there is an overly rich white people bad except for Batman.  Without going into the plot too much it is a theme that goes throughout the movie.  Even the majority of the corrupt police officers are white.    So it does go into the identity politics a lot.  

You forgot Alfred on the side of the good.

Considering there's only like 4 non-white characters of any significance, Gordon, Selina, the new mayor, and the officer Martinez, I think people are making a leap. Gordon and Selina are pretty true to their characters in the comics. And Gotham has been notorious for corruption going back to the 70s.

Saw Batman last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. It was too long, especially at the end but after getting so many Marvel movies over the last number of years it was nice to have a more grounded, realistic type movie. Batman never has had super powers but it felt like everybody was at risk as they are just humans. Didn't matter if it was Riddler, Catwoman, Penguin, Batman, Alfred, Gordon or anybody in between, there were stakes on the line.

Good sunday morning my movie watching friends!

Watched the new Spider Man flick this weekend, and boy do I have thoughts.  

I enjoyed the movie.  Tom Holland has been without a doubt, the best Peter Parker.  I think they crammed a lot (maybe a little too much) into a 2 1/2 hour movie.  I think so far, the MCU and Feige and the writers have done a *pretty good* job of avoiding plot holes and contradictions with 24-25 movies and a bunch of tv shows, but this multi-verse business is going to make things pretty sticky (IMO, of course).  We'll see how it goes.  I'm looking forward to the new Dr. Strange flick. 

Watched The Courier after that as a cool down.  Cold War era spy flick.  And honestly, seems kind of relevant right now....   This was an excellent movie.  Kinda flew under the radar (as a lot of movies have during the pandemic) and I really enjoyed it.  There's a very intentional pacing and tension that builds pretty quickly and keeps you hanging on.  Pretty interesting story too, based on a couple of real dudes who put in some on-the-ground grunt work to try to stop the Cuba missile crisis.  

4 hours ago, RoCoBrewfan said:

Tom Holland has been without a doubt, the best Peter Parker. 

I would have to agree with you, although Toby Maguire wasn't all that bad.  I think it has a lot to do with the technology of the day and Spider-Man 3 was atrocious.

*** Request for a "spoilers" tag ?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Samurai Bucky said:

I would have to agree with you, although Toby Maguire wasn't all that bad.  I think it has a lot to do with the technology of the day and Spider-Man 3 was atrocious.

*** Request for a "spoilers" tag ?

Haha yes.  I avoided talking too much about the movie in case there are those who haven't seen it yet.  Despite the massive box office haul, I'm sure there are those that didn't see it in theaters.  

I finally watched the new Ghostbusters movie last night.  This version was better than the cringe one from a few years ago.  The plot actually made sense in this one and the jokes were good. 

Awesome!!!!!!

Spoiler

Buwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

1 hour ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

@young guns @Samurai Bucky Turns out the editor already had spoilers, I just hadn't enabled them. I only had space to do it on the desktop editor, though. The eyeball icon is spoilers.

Reveal hidden contents

Spoilers be here

• Like 1

Film Fest Friday again.... 

Nightmare Alley -- I find Guillermo del Toro movies hit or miss.  This one really hit the mark for me.  Excellent cast, really dark period piece (which I'm into lately, for some reason), and it didn't have a monster with eyes in it's hands.  Really enjoyed it, and not being familiar with the original source work, I was able to go into this one fresh, and not really know how the ending was gonna pop.  

• Like 2

On 3/25/2022 at 9:57 AM, RoCoBrewfan said:

Film Fest Friday again.... 

Nightmare Alley -- I find Guillermo del Toro movies hit or miss.  This one really hit the mark for me.  Excellent cast, really dark period piece (which I'm into lately, for some reason), and it didn't have a monster with eyes in it's hands.  Really enjoyed it, and not being familiar with the original source work, I was able to go into this one fresh, and not really know how the ending was gonna pop.  

I feel similarly about Nightmare Alley.  The film started slow for me, but the ending justified a lot of that world building.  No spoilers, but that ending stuck with me…a lot more than the other best picture nominees I’ve seen.

Speaking of which, I’ve now seen 5 1/2 of the nominated films (West Side Story is a bit much to get through in one sitting….which I say acknowledging my enjoyment of the musical that just missed the cut).  Disappointed I didn’t see more, but life got in the way.

Never actually posted about Licorice Pizza, but I appreciated it for being light & fun.  Didn’t know all 3 of the Haim sisters were going to be in it.  (At my theater, they played the band’s new video - also directed by Paul T. Anderson - before the film.)

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to see all of the best picture nominees and a bunch overall, missing some of the shorts, a couple of the documentaries, Cruella, and one or two others. To one degree or another I liked all but Don't Look Now, although there were certainly better films left on the sideline. And I'm not particularly thinking of Spider-Man.

I did very much appreciate the variety of genres represented. We had a big science fiction blockbuster, a western, a political satire, a neo-noir, a big classic musical, a feel good family film, basically a rom-com, and some dramas. Oscars have had a lot worse years.

Speaking of "Must See Movies" I'd like to refer everyone to EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME which is absolutely terrific. It's exciting, funny, thoughtful, silly, profane, and emotional. Even has good martial arts scenes. And a terrific Michelle Yeoh performance. 

I'd go so far as to use the word "masterpiece".

On 4/9/2022 at 4:41 PM, RobertR said:

Speaking of "Must See Movies" I'd like to refer everyone to EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME which is absolutely terrific. It's exciting, funny, thoughtful, silly, profane, and emotional. Even has good martial arts scenes. And a terrific Michelle Yeoh performance. 

I'd go so far as to use the word "masterpiece".

I never thought the Daniels guys would ever graduate from kooky DIY visual effects music videos to (potentially) Oscar nominated movies. Good on them.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.