Brewer Fanatic

MUST-SEE MOVIES

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Jungle Cruise is pretty much the definition of "less than the sum of its parts" movies. Especially as it's rather shameless about stealing from other better films.

It's good enough to be worth a watch. But once the new car shine wears off, I don't know why you'd ever rewatch it when you have the likes of The African Queen, The Mummy, Romancing the Stone, Indiana Jones, and PotC right there for the picking.

Jungle Cruise gets 5 stars for the dad jokes alone! :laughing

Yes, it wasn't deep and the premise was similar to those movies, but the overall plot felt new. I didn't feel like they rehashed the plot from anyone else (looking at you Star Wars episode 7-9). Predictable plot twists where there, but it is Disney...

It is a fun family movie that cause a lot of laughs with my family.

So, I had the opportunity to view an early screener of the Japanese film DRIVE MY CAR that's been showing up on a lot of Best of 2021 lists. It also show up on mine, right near the top.

It is a quiet, character based drama that runs 3 hours. And the time just flew right along I was so wrapped up in the story.

• 4 weeks later...

I think I'm done with Marvel.

Soooo many movies, tired of trying to keep up.

For me, they just aren't as good as they used to be. There was a time I'd look forward to them, now with every new release I just roll my eyes and dread going.

Yup, that is a sign, I'm done with them...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

For me, they just aren't as good as they used to be. There was a time I'd look forward to them, now with every new release I just roll my eyes and dread going.

So you're through all the "8" movies?

lol

I'm into the "A" movies, all my number movies have been viewed and reviewed. Kept some, dumped some, but I'm still chugging along.

It will literally be years before I get through them all, but with retirement coming in June, I'll have the time...

Not a rap fan at all, but enjoyed "8 Mile" this weekend.

It actually makes Eminem into a likeable guy, but I'm not so sure that would be the case in real life.

It also only covers a short period in his life before he hits it big.

Worth watching for sure, even if you are not into the rap stuff, like myself...

Two movies with 8 in the title? Next up, Super 8? Hateful 8?

lol

I'm watching my movie library alphabetically. Hateful 8 and Super 8 won't be on the docket for quite some time, but I will get to them eventually.

Weeding out some movies for space reasons... I have 700+ dvds, so it will take a long time.

Next up was "9" which was interesting, but not a keeper.

Watched "10" today. Hadn't seen that one in a long time. Bo was something, but again, nothing I'll need to see again.

Now to figure out what to do with all these dvds that I'm sure will be adding up over the next few months...

I would recommend buying this on Amazon and save them all. You never know when they won't be streaming somewhere or more likely when the woke police start editing older movies and the original will be gone forever. I was going to get rid of all of my movies but bought this at the last second and am glad I did. Plus you will have a hard time selling old DVD's and even at a garage sale probably wouldn't get more than a dollar or two.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09FPJDQZ6?pd_rd_i=B09FPJDQZ6&pd_rd_w=llNbB&pf_rd_p=7ea8e9d0-fed1-49e8-a002-f2d3f5cb151d&pd_rd_wg=AKCGv&pf_rd_r=BZ1P0KRR3NX8YQKRY2ZW&pd_rd_r=7ba3737b-7311-4e1c-887b-fb9c9582ff58&th=1

I can't see throwing out 700 dvd cases though... I have the storage system already in place, just want to weed out the ones I don't think I'll ever want to see again.

Those cases you posted would be great if you moved around a lot though...

I am waiting on the X-Men and Guardians but yeah I am pretty much done with Marvel for now too.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I watched "Don't Look Up" this past weekend on Netflix.

I am not a Netflix subscriber, but my son has an account, and while he was home on break we watched it.

It was entertaining and had plenty of characters to absolutely HATE.

The parallels to today's society are too many to mention, but watching it made me realize just how sad we are as humans.

It was a bit long (2:21) but worth the watch if you have the time.

lol

I'm into the "A" movies, all my number movies have been viewed and reviewed. Kept some, dumped some, but I'm still chugging along.

It will literally be years before I get through them all, but with retirement coming in June, I'll have the time...

Did you skip the best of the 8 movies, 8 1/2?

I watched THE POWER OF THE DOG this weekend. I understand what the hype is about. It's probably the best Cumberbatch has been in a film. And Campion's direction is immaculate. It's an ice cold slow burn, and delivers.

I watched THE POWER OF THE DOG this weekend. I understand what the hype is about. It's probably the best Cumberbatch has been in a film. And Campion's direction is immaculate. It's an ice cold slow burn, and delivers.

I'm off the next few days. I've been meaning to watch this.

I really liked Top of the Lake. Did you happen to watch Season 2 by chance? I kept meaning to and just forgot about it.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I don't get the people who say "this is a boring movie with a twist ending". It's a great movie that builds to the climax for sure, but it's not boring unless once expected a cowboy shoot em' up because it's labelled a Western.

The pieces were laid out really well, the relevant information was set up in all the right places so that when the reveal happened, it wasn't a "huh???" moment, but more of a "oh yeah" moment that with hindsight, was built up to with a lot of intelligent writing.

I'll for sure say it's not the type of movie I usually watch, but I went into it understanding that it wasn't an action/Cowboy movie, and got rewarded for having an open mind.

My students have been talking about a movie on NETFLIX that they think is just hilarious.

I realize that most of the time, what high school kids think is hilarious, I find not hilarious, but has anyone seen the following movie, and can recommend it to adults?

The Wrong Missy

They have told me it was pretty nasty and vulgar, which is really all it takes high school students to love it. lol

My students have been talking about a movie on NETFLIX that they think is just hilarious.

I realize that most of the time, what high school kids think is hilarious, I find not hilarious, but has anyone seen the following movie, and can recommend it to adults?

The Wrong Missy

They have told me it was pretty nasty and vulgar, which is really all it takes high school students to love it. lol

I unfortunately have. It's terrible. Don't waste your time.

The Wrong Missy

lol

That is what I was afraid of... Thanks!

The Wrong Missy

Watched it with the wife. Wasnt great, but wasnt something I thought was amazing. Would never watch it again.

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to get a jump-start on my Oscars 2022 Best Picture watch, while I still have a 4K Netflix subscription. (Especially since Marcus Theaters won't movie marathon any film they didn't give a theatrical run....if that's still a thing they do in the COVID-times.) Watched Power of the Dog, which...went places I wasn't quite expecting. While most of the movie was about Cumberbatch's character, I don't feel like the relationship between the Jesse Plemons and Kirsten Dunst characters was well-defined or well-served by the story (which is ironic, since they are a real-life couple).

Will probably watch Tick, Tick, Boom next; I have heard good things about Andrew Garfield's performance (and he might have been in some other thing I watched recently), and I will probably carve out some time for Lost Daughter & Don't Look Up as well. Anything else I should keep an eye out for?

I can't see throwing out 700 dvd cases though... I have the storage system already in place, just want to weed out the ones I don't think I'll ever want to see again.

Those cases you posted would be great if you moved around a lot though...

Donating to your local library is always a great option. If you qualify for itemized deductions then the donation can be included, if not, it's still a great way to share with your "neighbors".

Trying to get a jump-start on my Oscars 2022 Best Picture watch, while I still have a 4K Netflix subscription. (Especially since Marcus Theaters won't movie marathon any film they didn't give a theatrical run....if that's still a thing they do in the COVID-times.) Watched Power of the Dog, which...went places I wasn't quite expecting. While most of the movie was about Cumberbatch's character, I don't feel like the relationship between the Jesse Plemons and Kirsten Dunst characters was well-defined or well-served by the story (which is ironic, since they are a real-life couple).

Will probably watch Tick, Tick, Boom next; I have heard good things about Andrew Garfield's performance (and he might have been in some other thing I watched recently), and I will probably carve out some time for Lost Daughter & Don't Look Up as well. Anything else I should keep an eye out for?

It's probably on the bubble, but DRIVE MY CAR is playing at the Oriental and it's excellent. (Janus is distributing it, so it's likely to end up on Criterion ultimately.) LICORICE PIZZA is also still in theaters. As are WEST SIDE STORY and HOUSE OF GUCCI, although I can't imagine for too much longer.

BELFAST is available for VOD rental, albeit at $19.99 I'm holding out for a bit.

DUNE is my favorite blockbuster of the year. It's widely available for rent although it will probably be back on HBO Max before the Oscars. Same with KING RICHARD. CODA is on Apple+, although I think it's a long shot.

Be aware that THE LOST DAUGHTER is not a thriller. And Olivia Colman/Jessie Buckley do things that makes the character unlikable even if you understand why.

BEING THE RICARDOS, which I don't think works despite some valiant efforts, is on PRIME.

I think AMC still does the Best Picture marathon thing.

The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.