Brewer Fanatic

MUST-SEE MOVIES

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
While I wouldn't call it necessarily "must see", the final 30 minutes or so of Malignant are as bat guano insane as anything I've seen in years, if not decades.

More bat guano insane than Hereditary?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I watched the Sound of Metal -- the story they tried to tell here felt super rushed. He goes from being fine to being almost entirely deaf in a few days, and the story just rushes along from there. I get it, it's a movie/fiction and they have to tell a story, but it just dropped me out of any sense of believability, and the music sucked. There's other things I didn't like in here, but that's a conversation for another place, I think. This film won awards, so it obviously worked for a lot of people, just not for me, I guess.

Will movies ever come back? Just not much to really look forward to these days.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Will movies ever come back? Just not much to really look forward to these days.

Dune looks ok. Though I will probably just watch that on HBO at home.

The new Venom movie looks decent. Other than that it is the Matrix and the new Spider-Man movie.

Everything else not really excited about really.

Sopranos fans, this is a MUST SEE!

The Many Saints of Newark

It was excellent, and it certainly looks like there will be another one coming...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Can't say I liked Many Saints of Newark as much as you. Maybe Sopranos doesn't work as a movie but really didn't enjoy it and kind of pointless. Liked the guy that played Junior Soprano but not enough of him, intrigued to learn more about Tony and his father, the actress that played Tony's Mom was also very good. Overall just don't like the direction they took with the movie. Whoever played Silvio was the absolute worst, was like a SNL skit. Hated the two Ray Liotta characters too.

Can't say I liked Many Saints of Newark as much as you. Maybe Sopranos doesn't work as a movie but really didn't enjoy it and kind of pointless. Liked the guy that played Junior Soprano but not enough of him, intrigued to learn more about Tony and his father, the actress that played Tony's Mom was also very good. Overall just don't like the direction they took with the movie. Whoever played Silvio was the absolute worst, was like a SNL skit. Hated the two Ray Liotta characters too.

We will have to agree to disagree then I guess...

Saw it last weekend. It felt mostly like fanservice. Standing on its own, it was a pretty weak movie.

Did they even make clear who was Christopher's mom?

Saw it last weekend. It felt mostly like fanservice. Standing on its own, it was a pretty weak movie.

I assumed his Mom was somehow able to have kids even though it was mentioned previously she could not. Never said with 100% certainty however. It was kind of odd that the movie was about that family and Christopher was narrating but his birth was totally glossed over.

Standing on it's own?

It wasn't meant to stand on it's own, it's a prequal to one of the greatest tv shows of all time.

If someone goes to the movie having never seen the tv show, or been a fan of the tv show, then yes, I can understand why they wouldn't think it was very good.

This longtime Sopranos fan thinks the the movie was awesome! Looking forward to the next one...

• 2 weeks later...

I liked the new Venom movie but that is me. I would like just about anything with Venom in it. Probably my second favorite comic book character behind Deadpool. If you are not really into the MCU or comic books probably best to stay away.

I watched Dune last weekend and I loved it but I can see why most wouldn't like this movie. It takes awhile to get into the movie and it ends about half way through the book. Action is rather light until about the end of the movie. I guess I am just a sucker for sci-fi movies.

I saw Dune as well and loved it, and I'm generally hyper critical of book adaptations for books I've read. Not an easy story to adapt. I expected rushed, choppy, or convoluted and it was none of those. Best sci Fi I've seen in a while.

I saw Dune as well and loved it, and I'm generally hyper critical of book adaptations for books I've read. Not an easy story to adapt. I expected rushed, choppy, or convoluted and it was none of those. Best sci Fi I've seen in a while.

It is also visually beautiful. A little too bright for my eyes in the theater at points, but that seemed entirely intentional for scenes from a desert planet.

I kept wondering whether I thought the film was easier to follow because I vaguely remembered the David Lynch version, or if they used the extended run-time (factoring in the yet-unfilmed part 2) to better explain what was happening.

Between Bond, Dune, Last Night in Soho next week, followed by Eternals, I am putting $5 Tuesdays at Marcus Theaters to good use right now.

Has anyone seen the new Venom or Halloween Kills movies?

Recommended or no?

Watched Halloween Kills on Peacock. Thought the "new original" was a lot better. This one felt really silly and I found the central theme of "town must stop Michael now, themselves!" really schticky. For fans that just want to see Michael be Michael, it delivers that...but I thought it was silly, even for Halloween series.

I liked the new Venom movie but that is me. I would like just about anything with Venom in it. Probably my second favorite comic book character behind Deadpool. If you are not really into the MCU or comic books probably best to stay away.

I watched Dune last weekend and I loved it but I can see why most wouldn't like this movie. It takes awhile to get into the movie and it ends about half way through the book. Action is rather light until about the end of the movie. I guess I am just a sucker for sci-fi movies.

I really enjoyed Dune and am happy to hear there will be a part 3. I haven't read a book in 10+ years, but would enjoy picking this one up once my kids get a bit older.

For what its worth, my wife is not a sci-fi fan, but she really liked the movie too. She also thought Blade Runner 2049 was fantastic, so maybe it is more that she can appreciate great visuals even at a slower pace than the average movie goer.

The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.