Brewer Fanatic

Defensive giveaways

markedman5

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Never heard of this stat but it seems to confirm the eye test for me.....we are giving away a lot of runs

Yeah, most stats show our defense has not been good. Pretty much everything you look at shows up below average - including team defensive fWAR, Defensive Runs Saved, UZR.

Of those three, DRS has us at -1, which is just below average. But UZR and defensive WAR (this is from Fangraphs) has us right around 22nd or 23rd of the 30 major league teams.

The statcast data for outfield catch probability has us 2nd worst in the league. Broxton grades out well but Santana is just terrible and I think Perez, Thames and Franklin probably drag it down some too.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
But if you ask Stearns the defense is great.

I think that some of the players have performed below expectations - defensively - thus far. So there's a chance we improve.

Shaw has generally been above average - but is grading out a bit below average. Broxton hasn't appeared as good as last year, when he seemed to make a highlight play every other day. Braun has been bad looking with his rubber arm - and he's seemed a bit tentative in the field. Arcia - you can see the talent and he has the ability to be an elite fielder. Not to mention we play some guys out of their normal positions - Franklin in the OF, Perez at SS, Thames at 1B, etc. I love versatility - but a player needs to be decent at the positions he plays for his versatility to really be of value.

Archived