Brewer Fanatic

Trade a Catcher

Go get Blake Swihart as a backup. Can play a little LF if needed too.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It amazes me that almost EVERY single player the Brewers have, almost every poster here wants to trade them at some point. Good gosh, you can only acquire so many minor league players..at some point you have to start trying to win. Posters want players to have good halves of the season so they can move them at the deadline..I think that's ridiculous.

Of course people want to trade players at some point. That's how the league is setup. Wouldn't you rather have 5 years of a player plus 6 years each of multiple players received in a trade, than 6 years of the same player plus nothing? Building a baseball franchise is asset management. Having players over-perform so you can potentially get more value for them than they're worth should always be something you're rooting for. If you can't afford to trade a player or two in their final contract year and still be competitive, you're not at the point that you need to be to start neglecting the long term outlook of the team in order to optimize the current team's chances at winning a World Series.

But thats sorta what he's indicating. Your asset management asks for more 6years in return, but its not 6years if your trading them away after 3years or less. I get upset when I read ideas to trade Santana, Arcia!, Broxton, Thames etc. As they haven't, or barely reached 1 year of playing games for the club. Because you have prospects who can replace them and assume youll get studs back in return all to just suggest how to trade Lewis Brinson at this time next season for prospects. 1year is not 6years. How many prospects does the minors need?

Someone pointed out the draft with 10 straight HS picks after the 10th round, where most likely 5 if not more won't sign. The minors are overloaded with talent and theres not enough teams to fill the roster space for all these numbers of players.

Lets try doing what most teams do and trade players around their final year of those 6years vs after 1year with 5years control remaining.

Well I'll be big enough to admit at this point that a trade of either catcher seems like a bad idea at this point. Bandy has declined big time.

Would be nice if Susac was doing anything at all in AAA to push Bandy for that 2nd spot. But he's not.

Only want to trade a catcher if his name is Jett Bandy...

He's 27 with this arguably being his first full year in the majors. Are we really going to over-react this much to a slump? Obviously it's less than ideal, but let Pina play 4/5 a week and Bandy is still exactly what you want in a backup.

He's 27 with this arguably being his first full year in the majors. Are we really going to over-react this much to a slump? Obviously it's less than ideal, but let Pina play 4/5 a week and Bandy is still exactly what you want in a backup.

I hope Pina doesn't start catching 80% of the games. He will get worn down and we will have two guys batting .200. Every team has a dropoff to their 2nd catcher. I still hope Bandy gets 30% of the starts.

I hope Pina doesn't start catching 80% of the games. He will get worn down and we will have two guys batting .200. Every team has a dropoff to their 2nd catcher. I still hope Bandy gets 30% of the starts.

Pina should be a lot more fresh than other catchers his age. He also hasn't been asked to catch everyday to start the season (38 starts so far). So if he started four of five or 80% of the rest of the games he would catch about 105-110 games. That's not asking a ton.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived