Brewer Fanatic

Braun "likely" to go to the DL

patrickgpe
Verified Member
If we are burning an option of an OFer by bringing them up then pick wisely. Might as well pick one guy to bounce up and down all year for OF injuries(which with Braun may be quite frequent).

The guys on the 40 man (Phillips, Brinson, Cordell, Reed) have all used an option for the year already, so it doesn't matter how often you bounce them up and down this year.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The call up will probably be a pitcher. Perez and Thames can play left.

Only problem is that you are down to only three bench players then.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

They already have too many pitchers, can't see it being a pitcher. Agree it could be any position player and not just OF, since Perez is going to be playing a bunch of OF maybe bringing up Rivera and his plus defense might be a decent option. Wouldn't even mind seeing Rivera and Wren up and DFA Franklin while they are at it. Just don't see them bringing up Brinson, Maverick, Cordell right now.

The call up will probably be a pitcher. Perez and Thames can play left.

they have no bench as it is, i can't see it. that would mean 3 bench players. i would be shocked.

Agreed. No way they go with a 14 man pitching staff and a 3 man bench. They have more bats to choose from at this point anyway. A case can be made for 6 or 7 different bats. In fact as soon as the starters start going deeper consistently, they need to go back to a 5 man bench and one less arm.

If we are burning an option of an OFer by bringing them up then pick wisely. Might as well pick one guy to bounce up and down all year for OF injuries(which with Braun may be quite frequent).

The guys on the 40 man (Phillips, Brinson, Cordell, Reed) have all used an option for the year already, so it doesn't matter how often you bounce them up and down this year.

They have just 39 on the 40 man as it is, so adding Wren who'd have a full complement of options at age 26, would not be an issue at all. Heck, he could bounce back and forth for the next 3 seasons ala Logan Schafer.

also as you said there is no arm deserving of a roster spot that is on the 40 man, if you say Cravy his ERA is 5.06 right now. but he would be the only logical one.

A case could be made on performance alone for Phillips, Brinson, Cooper, Cordell or Wren.

also as you said there is no arm deserving of a roster spot that is on the 40 man, if you say Cravy his ERA is 5.06 right now. but he would be the only logical one.

A case could be made on performance alone for Phillips, Brinson, Cooper, Cordell or Wren.

I'm not sure what more people want to see our of Lopez at AA, but he is probably ready for his next developmental step.

They have just 39 on the 40 man as it is, so adding Wren who'd have a full complement of options at age 26, would not be an issue at all. Heck, he could bounce back and forth for the next 3 seasons ala Logan Schafer.

if wren is optioned for more than 20 days this season, he could bounce back and forth for only two more seasons.

Lets get creative. Regardless of who's replacing him, Braun's absence is significant offensively. Arcia is struggling now too (5 for his last 33). Why not DL Braun, option Arcia, and call up Rivera and Brinson? Play Perez at SS to keep his bat in lineup and have Brinson leadoff and play LF? Then move Villar down to the 8th spot? Use Rivera for double switches and late inning defense at SS. Once Braun is back you can also return a hopefully more confident Arcia who's had a couple weeks seeing AAA pitching. Brinson gets the benefit of hitting ahead of Thames or stick the hot Broxton at number 2, Thames at 3, then Shaw followed by Santana/Perez in either order.

Lets get creative. Regardless of who's replacing him, Braun's absence is significant offensively. Arcia is struggling now too (5 for his last 33). Why not DL Braun, option Arcia, and call up Rivera and Brinson? Play Perez at SS to keep his bat in lineup and have Brinson leadoff and play LF? Then move Villar down to the 8th spot? Use Rivera for double switches and late inning defense at SS. Once Braun is back you can also return a hopefully more confident Arcia who's had a couple weeks seeing AAA pitching.

Creative. I'll give you that. But it's not happening. Villar will be at or near the top of the lineup most likely and Arcia is going no where. He is your shortstop now and for probably the near future.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

You don't bring up a young guy to fill a bench spot and not get regular ABs for what is likely a short DL stint. I know people are chomping at the bit to see some prospects but it just doesn't make sense to interrupt their routine just to sit on a bench in the majors. The team has too many players when fully healthy and Counsell is struggling to get them all enough playing time. This is a chance to give them all enough playing time.

Tom‏ @Haudricourt

#Brewers will put Ryan Braun on DL today. We wait to see if call up OF prospect or someone else and just use Perez, Thames, Franklin in LF.

10:52 AM - 12 May 2017

You don't bring up a young guy to fill a bench spot and not get regular ABs for what is likely a short DL stint. I know people are chomping at the bit to see some prospects but it just doesn't make sense to interrupt their routine just to sit on a bench in the majors. The team has too many players when fully healthy and Counsell is struggling to get them all enough playing time. This is a chance to give them all enough playing time.

I don't think 10 days off and sitting on the bench will curb one of our AAA OFs development that much. I would assume they would get a couple of starts and a handful of pinch hit opportunities. Basically should take away all of Franklins starts (Perez in IF instead of OF).

Whatever they lose in development, they will make up for by getting acclimated to the majors with less pressure and probably a desire to get back asap.

I'm perfectly fine with Rivera coming up and starting Thames/Perez in left for the 10 days. Rivera is good defensively and has done well at AAA and is on the 40 man.

I don't think 10 days off and sitting on the bench will curb one of our AAA OFs development that much. I would assume they would get a couple of starts and a handful of pinch hit opportunities. Basically should take away all of Franklins starts (Perez in IF instead of OF).

Whatever they lose in development, they will make up for by getting acclimated to the majors with less pressure and probably a desire to get back asap.

There just isn't any reason to do it. We are not in trouble trying to cover OF with what we have right now. Getting a few major league AB in the middle of May is not going to somehow help any of these guys either. It is just jerking them around for no reason. This is why we kept captain Kirk so we don't have to mess with a guy who might actually be a major league player.

Give Cooper a shot? He has typically always been old for his level, but he has mashed pretty good and has shown great power this year. If it is a short term thing and not really long term why not let Cooper have the shot he has earned to some extent. He was a 6th round pick so not like he is some journeyman.

Give Cooper a shot? He has typically always been old for his level, but he has mashed pretty good and has shown great power this year. If it is a short term thing and not really long term why not let Cooper have the shot he has earned to some extent. He was a 6th round pick so not like he is some journeyman.

I would be perfectly fine with them buying into Cooper playing 1B for 10 days while Thames roams LF. As much as Aguilar has had his moments, it would be fun to see Cooper get a shot.

Cooper would make more sense if Aguilar wasn't already on the roster (the fact that he is the one player hitting better away from Colorado Springs is also intriguing).

Unless they really want a lefty, I think Cordell makes the most sense. You could make a good case he's been the best of the three 40-man OF at CS. Also, given his age I don't think they'd be as concerned about service time issues as with Brinson, and Phillips' K rate could make them leery about promoting him.

I'm sorry but I chuckled a bit when I saw who it was. Lots of people very excited to see certain players and it's Eric Sogard that comes up.

All said and done, it makes little difference. Thames and Perez will be out in left anyways.

Archived