Brewer Fanatic

Braun "likely" to go to the DL

patrickgpe

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't get why people think Nieuwenhuis is the most likely. He isn't even on the 40 anymore. Why would they burn a 40 spot for a temporary option who will cost more than the others just put of familiarity when the 40 is loaded with outfielders?

#1, they have 2 open spots that aren't being used

#2, for whatever reason, Counsell loves him.

personally i'd rather see a mid-tier prospect like the 2 mentioned about (everyone knows Brinson is not going anywhere) to see what they can do in MLB (both are doing great in the rarefied air in CS)

Don't think they kept that spot open for Nieuwenhuis. Sure hope not anyway.

Cordell would be fine. Phillips too. I'm not as sure as you that it won't be Brinson. He has nearly a year of very good ball now at AAA and certainly has earned a couple weeks up. It doesn't have to be permanent.

Won't happen but my long, long,long shot......Cooper. Leading CS in virtually every category, but blocked here so a chance to showcase him?

Where's he going to play? I don't really have a problem with Cooper being up but if you do it you might as well DFA Aguilar who would have no reason to be here anymore.

Wren is not on the 40 either

But he would have options if he's added. The role of whoever is added to the active roster is likely going to be limited. That's precisely why you bring up a utility type OF like Wren who's proven he can produce even if not in there every day. It's not like Wren hasn't earned it after nearly duplicating his impressive 2016 numbers so far this year.

By the way Cooper saw time in LF last year when the Skysox outfield was not as crowded.

As for Phillips, he's coming off a very sub-par 2016 and despite his good start in 2017, he leads Colorado Springs in strikeouts by a fairly wide margin so he's probably the most likely to have the toughest adjustment to major league pitching. He needs to continue building confidence in AAA.

If Brinson gets the call, it needs to be with the intent to play nearly every day. I don't see them doing that just yet.

I think it comes down to Wren or Cordell.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm guessing Cordell. A little older guy. Doing well. He's been pretty consistent in his career. Solid, but nothing special. Not a big deal to start his arby clock. Phillips and Brinson can still use some seasoning.

Just a guess.

I think it will be Brinson. This is a short term callup. Why not bring up your top prospect? He'll go back down when Braun returns so no issue to his Super 2 status.

Because Counsell's been trying to get Aguilar and Frankin more AB's and super sub Perez is around for just this type of short term need. That means whoever comes up will see limited action behind those guys. Let the prospects play regularly till a full time spot opens. Wren is the perfect fit for a limited role.

I'm guessing Cordell. A little older guy. Doing well. He's been pretty consistent in his career. Solid, but nothing special. Not a big deal to start his arby clock. Phillips and Brinson can still use some seasoning.

Just a guess.

Wren's 2016 AAA line in 271 AB's: .339/.425/.432

Wren's 2017 AAA line in 74 AB's: .338/.402/.459

Cordell's a decent option to be sure too, but they have solid RH bats in Perez and Aguilar they can use (with Thames in LF when Aguilar plays). Their lone LH bench bat right now is Nick Franklin. It all comes down to who you trust more in a late inning PH role Cordell or Wren? Cordell has more pop and is RH. Wren can get on and steal a base. Pretty close call. Just so long as it's not Nieuwenhuis.

Isn't one of the main points of rebuilding trying to figure out what you have? Kirk is a known quantity. What do we learn by bringing him up for two weeks and DFAing him again after?

It's almost mid-May, we don't need to protect every single player in the organization from being a possible Super 2, especially when 2 weeks up isn't going to affect that anyway.

I mean at least with Wren, who isn't my first choice, you can give him a shot up here and see what happens with him.

Wren is buried behind good OF prospects, I get that, but the guy has an OBP over. 400 this year, and did last year as well. If you're really going to tell him that Kirk Nieuwenhuis is still a better option than him, you might as well go ahead and trade him to an OF needy team that wants to give him a shot.

Isn't one of the main points of rebuilding trying to figure out what you have? Kirk is a known quantity. What do we learn by bringing him up for two weeks and DFAing him again after?

It's almost mid-May, we don't need to protect every single player in the organization from being a possible Super 2, especially when 2 weeks up isn't going to affect that anyway.

I mean at least with Wren, who isn't my first choice, you can give him a shot up here and see what happens with him.

Wren is buried behind good OF prospects, I get that, but the guy has an OBP over. 400 this year, and did last year as well. If you're really going to tell him that Kirk Nieuwenhuis is still a better option than him, you might as well go ahead and trade him to an OF needy team that wants to give him a shot.

This team needs more veteran grit. Kirk provides that. He could be the missing piece that holds our team together. Don't fight it.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

They have quite a few guys on the roster already who can play LF(Perez/Thames) so I don't see why it has to even be an OF. If we are burning an option of an OFer by bringing them up then pick wisely. Might as well pick one guy to bounce up and down all year for OF injuries(which with Braun may be quite frequent).

This team needs more veteran grit. Kirk provides that. He could be the missing piece that holds our team together. Don't fight it.

I'm all for veteran grit but Nieuwenhuis is not that guy. He's never been more than a fringe major leaguer. DeJesus or Sogard would provide more grit than Kirk.

They have quite a few guys on the roster already who can play LF(Perez/Thames) so I don't see why it has to even be an OF. If we are burning an option of an OFer by bringing them up then pick wisely. Might as well pick one guy to bounce up and down all year for OF injuries(which with Braun may be quite frequent).

Good points, Franklin can play LF too. And you raise the question really, will they make this retro to an earlier date and Braun will only miss another 5-10 games, or will it be longer than that? And again, good point that this may not be the last time.

So, if it's only 10 more games (or less) they could easily just put Perez in LF basically full time and call up anyone- even another bullpen arm. This really shows how important the versatility is, because they really don't "need" any position player. More than anything, they need another bat for PH.

After sleeping on it, if they think it will be a little longer term, I say bring up Cordell and let him play LF full time. He's a little older, "behind" other OF prospects, etc., so this may be the only time to get a look at him. (And for the rest of MLB to get a look at him.) .500 or not, this is still a rebuilding year and Cordell is never going to be more "ready" than he is right now.

Archived