Brewer Fanatic

Would the Brewers draft Tulowitzki

I think it would depend on how much they liked his bat. If they felt he might hit enough for third, I have to imagine they'd consider him, even if they are very high on JJ. Plus, they may think he'll end up better than JJ anyway, in which case he may also be worth a pick because JJ could always be dealt in a couple years.

If there's one thing you can hang your hat on, it's that Jack Z doesn't care who's already in the organization when he makes a pick like this one. Yeah, later in the draft they'll go out of their way to take a catcher or two, but with the #5 overall pick they will go for the top guy on their board. Remember, the Fielder pick came with Hart and Nelson in the system, in addition to Sexson.

If the first picks go: Upton, Gordon, Maybin, and Zimmerman then I think Tulo has to be at least considered. My guess is that we would pass on him though. Certainly pass on him if somehow one of the above 4 also slips and is available.

BTW, I have a feeling that Seattle might just take Maybin and we would end up in exactly this position.

I also am expecting the Dbacks to draft a college pitcher. No insider info, and I'm not getting on the horn w/my insiders, since they aren't named Mike Rizzo. I just have a feeling they'd love a top starter who can jump to AA right now, and be slotted behind Ortiz, Webb, Vazquez, and Halsey come next July.

Can somebody remind me why Tulo is exciting? I recall Colby's saying, I think, that his park deflated his power numbers; but I'm sort of stuck on his weak BB/K rate relative to the other college studs. Does his offense project to play at 3B? If not, he seems like a questionable pick, because moving him off SS has to be at least an option. How does he compare as a hitter to Zimmerman and Braun?

Greg.

gregmag, with the huge BB/K stats of the others, I, too, was shocked. I wonder if it's more a product of his spot in the lineup. Still, I'd be less than enthused until I saw his stats in pro ball for a little while

I also am expecting the Dbacks to draft a college pitcher. No insider info, and I'm not getting on the horn w/my insiders, since they aren't named Mike Rizzo. I just have a feeling they'd love a top starter who can jump to AA right now, and be slotted behind Ortiz, Webb, Vazquez, and Halsey come next July.

If you're going to take a top pitcher, you're not going to see him at AA this year. Hochevar & Pelfrey both have pitched a ton of innings, and both will likely take a while to sign since they are advised by Boras. Even if they weren't advised by Boras they still would likely take a long time to sign, like Humber, Sowers & Verlander all did last year.

I know someone else (molitorfan I think) mentioned on another thread how they were ready to adopt the D-Backs as their 2nd team to join you DHonks, but if they pass on Upton I would advise such a person to quickly change their mind. You don't get the chance to take a player of Upton's caliber very often, and to pass on him because of perceived need would be extremely foolish. I can see passing on Upton to take Gordon, but that's about it. They can always use their depth of positional prospects to trade for a proven pitcher.

Archived