Brewer Fanatic

What could Braun bring from anyone? (2017 version)

pete
76M is way more than 16M. 76M is a huge problem for the Dodgers. Too often, maybe because it's not our money, we seem to distance ourselves mentally from financial implications on trade value. Money has an enormous affect on trade value.

True, but that's why all these proposed trades involving Braun include the Brewers taking back $40m+ in McCarthy and Puig. Throw someone like Guerra in there from the Brewer's side of things and having Braun + Guerra for a net $10m more per year for the next 4 years compared to Forsythe for about $8m more per year for the next two years, seems like it should be somewhat valuable.

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Dodgers will continue to put out good teams because they have endless money to spend but they won't win any World Series. Dumb franchise.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The Dodgers will continue to put out good teams because they have endless money to spend but they won't win any World Series. Dumb franchise.

Because...?

Because they didn't trade for Braun!

In reality, they would have been smarter to pony up one more prospect to land Brian Dozier over Logan Forsythe IMO, if that was really an option on the table.

Braun's contract is really a problem. Teams are looking it as a two year, $76M contract essentially.

As we mentioned yesterday, the projections for just 2017 look to be way down for Braun in the baseball world, let alone 2019.

The catch 22 is that if Braun keeps it up for another 2 years, he'll be much more tradeable but by then he'll have full 10/5 rights and have total control.

Still hoping they get something done with the Dodgers, with obviously a significant contract coming back to offset some of the 76.

Did I dream it or were they actually up 2 games to 1 over the Cubs in the NCLS a few months ago?

Couldn't you make the argument though that Braun's bat in the middle of that lineup could have made the difference in that series? Maybe the Dodgers are WS champs right now if they had pulled the trigger on the Brewers demands for a Braun trade back in August? We'll never know of course.

Did I dream it or were they actually up 2 games to 1 over the Cubs in the NCLS a few months ago?

Couldn't you make the argument though that Braun's bat in the middle of that lineup could have made the difference in that series? Maybe the Dodgers are WS champs right now if they had pulled the trigger on the Brewers demands for a Braun trade back in August? We'll never know of course.

They'll continue to be the bridesmaid. Never the bride.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

According to many here, the more you get in the playoffs the more likely you are to win it all (not sure if I believe that). The Dodger$ make the playoffs often. In addition, in many spheres of life- including MLB, I wouldn't bet against the guy with the most money.

According to many here, the more you get in the playoffs the more likely you are to win it all (not sure if I believe that). The Dodger$ make the playoffs often. In addition, in many spheres of life- including MLB, I wouldn't bet against the guy with the most money.

The Dodgers 4 losses to the Cubs were by a combined 21 runs, with none of the margins less than 4 runs. Braun wouldn't have made an iota of difference. Dodgers pitching wasn't close to good enough against a hot Cub team. No question Braun would make them a better team overall, but to get Braun, they'd need the Brewers to take back essentially dead money as they are paying luxury tax through the nose as it is. Why would the Brewers do that unless there were multiple top prospects in the deal and Dodgers weren't willing to do that. So it's a dead issue.

What about the Padres?

I know, they're rebuilding. Why in the world would they want Braun? First, they rather suddenly have a deep system. So they could make a deal and still have a ton of talent left in the system. Ok, fine, but question remains why would they trade for Braun?

San Diego lost the Clippers, now the Chargers. They may feel the need to pick up the pace on a rebuild and take some chances. Let's face it, they've been rebuilding for 20 years. Maybe bringing in Braun shows their fans they are committed to winning? Also a big name to help sell tickets. And Braun has always raked there. If the Brewers paid apportion of his salary, and not overly greedy on prospect return, is a deal with DS possible?

To answer my own question, no, very far-fetched. Just curious on opinions of others.

Is Brett Eibner really the Dodgers answer to their OF issues? C'mon LA - your time to win is now, and you have the money and the prospects to make a deal for Braun. Heck, we'd even be willing to take a bad contract off of your hands. As currently constructed, I don't think that team is at the caliber of the Cubs yet. Seems like they should go "all in" and risk a bit of their future to take their chances right now. Am I the only one puzzled by this?

Stearns should be hitting up Oakland too. Who knows what Beane/Forst are thinking, ever. He made a run for Encarnacion and some other free agents and have a weakness in RF. They have some interesting pieces in their farm system, close to home for Braun.

I would be happy with a Braun for AJ Puk straight up. Once again, I don't think Oakland would want to take on that contract.

Meh....not sure if I'd like that deal. Puk has potential, but there is also a chance he never makes it to the big leagues. If dealing with the A's, I think the package would have to start with Chapman & Puk in the deal. And, I'd offer to eat some of Braun's contract if they wanted to throw in another good piece. Again though, I doubt the A's would ever want to do a deal like this when they are not that close to putting together a winning big league team.

Puk has potential, but there is also a chance he never makes it to the big leagues.

And there is a high chance Braun is never on another competing Brewers team and at the same time producing at a high level. So it goes both ways.

Brewers would be silly not to take Puk straight up.

Anything with the words 'straight up' is not happening anyway, as any potential trade partner is going to be looking for salary relief to commit 4 years to Braun, either in the form of cash or a salary dump player like McCarthy coming back to us.

At this point, the best bet is to see what happens in spring and if a contender on his trade list needs a bat.

Braun doesn't appear to be going anywhere based on the contract. The HoF votes also show that people are not "over" the PED issues.

And the Cubs will never win the World Series because they're cursed, and a small market team like the Royals will never win the World Series... any others?

The Dodgers have tons of money, and they took one of the best GMs in the game away from Tampa. They have a very good MLB team, and still have talent on the farm. I'd say they're pretty likely to be good for a long time, and probably have pretty good odds to win it all at some point in the near future.

If Magic Johnson was calling the shots, Braun probably would have been a Dodger last year, and we probably wouldn't have had to even take bad contracts back. Unfortunately for the Brewers, he's not making the calls, and Friedman will make sure they don't get swindled.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

And the Cubs will never win the World Series because they're cursed, and a small market team like the Royals will never win the World Series... any others?

I don't think I've ever said either of those two statements above. Anyone can win a World Series. Any franchise. It's been proven too many times for it not to happen. Eventually the Brewers will luck into one as well. I just don't think the Dodgers realize their window with a pitcher like Kershaw. They have a few more years of the dominance if he stays healthy. If they don't make the corresponding moves to go in for a World Series, they will regret it greatly.

Is Brett Eibner really the Dodgers answer to their OF issues?

Eibner is nothing more than AAA depth. They've got Toles, Pederson & Puig to start with Ethier, Thompson & Van Slyke as back up options ahead of Eibner. I think the need for the Dodgers to add an outfielder is overstated myself.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think it should be noted that the Dodgers are a very good team right now. The odds are that, even without any further moves, they are a playoff caliber team.

Thus, they can retool or tweak or whatever they need to do during the season. For them, they don't need to be set for the season on March 31. They need to be set on July 31 (or even August 31).

The wise thing for a team like LA is to not make moves unless it's on their terms. They can take the first 1/3 or 1/2 of the season and see where they are at - and then make the adjustments. If at that time they see Braun - or anyone else - as essential to a World Series run - then they can make their move. Holding onto their prospects just gives them more bullets to spend at the deadline - assuming they even need to make a big move.

I think it should be noted that the Dodgers are a very good team right now. The odds are that, even without any further moves, they are a playoff caliber team.

Thus, they can retool or tweak or whatever they need to do during the season. For them, they don't need to be set for the season on March 31. They need to be set on July 31 (or even August 31).

The wise thing for a team like LA is to not make moves unless it's on their terms. They can take the first 1/3 or 1/2 of the season and see where they are at - and then make the adjustments. If at that time they see Braun - or anyone else - as essential to a World Series run - then they can make their move. Holding onto their prospects just gives them more bullets to spend at the deadline - assuming they even need to make a big move.

Games they win in first half of the year are games they dont need to win the 2nd half of the year.

I don't think I've ever said either of those two statements above. Anyone can win a World Series. Any franchise. It's been proven too many times for it not to happen. Eventually the Brewers will luck into one as well. I just don't think the Dodgers realize their window with a pitcher like Kershaw. They have a few more years of the dominance if he stays healthy. If they don't make the corresponding moves to go in for a World Series, they will regret it greatly.

But you literally said that the Dodgers won't win a World Series.

Don't you think that the Dodgers made a move like this with winning now with Kershaw in mind? There are good reasons they prioritized a move like this over forking over anything for Braun.

Archived