Brewer Fanatic

What could Braun bring from anyone? (2017 version)

pete
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
OK I don't want to be presumptuous or anything but as the instigator of this topic lo these many months ago, should I get some special recognition, like a gold watch or at least a party hat, on the occasion of this thread having reached 1000 posts? Maybe some Frank Charles organ music? Retro stirrups for the old pinstripe uniforms? A frozen malted milk? Beuhler? Anybody?

On the other hand, I'd settle for a good return for Ryan Braun.

Or maybe we should curse you for having the read the same arguments made over and over and over :)

Exactly! I was going to say something about being nice [sarcasm]and not kicking you out for starting this![/sarcasm] :laughing

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly just want Braun gone. His age and injury risk scares me, and with Santana, Broxton, Brinson, Phillips, Clark, Ray all here or hopefully arriving within a few seasons, there will be enough of a logjam without being forced to play Braun as he declines. He was great, and he still is good, but the odds of him being a real burden are too great.

I don't even think the Brewers should hold out for a "good return." I'd be totally fine with an okay return.

Right now the Brewers are stuck in trading Braun. It is the Dodgers or no one right now with the Giants backing out. This has been the reason why Braun's value is so low. It is not because of his contract and it is not because of the PED's or the injuries. The Brewers have a couple of teams that they can trade Braun to and only two have shown interest.

When you have a limited demand combined with a low demand the value drops. If the Dodgers don't get Dozier they will try to get Braun but neither Bellinger or DeLeon are coming in the trade. It will be something very similar to what was rumored during the waiver wire claims last season.

McCarthy, Puig, and two low level prospects for Braun. I think the prospects will be someone like De Jong as the pitcher and either Heredia or Ibandel Isabel as the positional player in the trade. Both Heredia and Isabel will be wild cards and I wouldn't be surprised if Stearns goes even farther down in the minors and takes someone else than De Jong. Someone like Caleb Ferguson jumps out to me who Stearns may pick over someone like De Jong or Heredia or Isabel.

Seems like the choice is to take a lowball offer from the Dodgers or ride it out and hope a better market develops for Braun during the season or next winter. (yes I know about his 10&5 rights)

The shorter his contract gets while he still produces (hopefully) the better his market will be. If Braun only had 2 years left on his contract he would be gone by now and with a nice return too.

2 years seems to be the sweet spot. More than 2 yrs for a mid 30's guy, the return diminishes, yet if there is only 1 year vs. 2 the return would also seem to diminish.

Keeping Braun for 2017 doesn't bother me. Past that and his presence will likely start to impede playing younger, cheaper and hopefully productive prospects.

Maybe Stearns hasn't traded Braun because they are actually the same person.

“We all work every day from 9 a.m. to midnight, and basically 12 months a year,” said Melvin, referring to his baseball staff. “I’ll be glad to have Ryan help if he wants to. I’ll give him a badge and he can be my deputy."

OH MY GOD.

Gruber Lawffices

Rosenthal says talks with Twins and Dodgers are at an impasse with no current discussion. Now is the time to swoop in Stearns and throw in Scooter....have 11 days to get the deal done before your wedding and honeymoon!!!

Rosenthal says talks with Twins and Dodgers are at an impasse with no current discussion. Now is the time to swoop in Stearns and throw in Scooter....have 11 days to get the deal done before your wedding and honeymoon!!!

I know the Dodgers want a second baseman, but do they really value Gennett (0.2 fWAR in '15, 0.1 fWAR in '16, 0.1 WAR Steamer projection for '17) at all? I don't really want to trade him, but I think if you're going to entice them by throwing in a second baseman you have to see if they're willing to give up a haul for Villar. Otherwise, I don't see the match with Gennett.

I think the thought with Scooter is that the dodgers need someone who is at least competent at 2B and is cheap. While scooter would likely be one of the weaker players in the dodgers lineup, anyone cheaper would be a decent step down. So he doesn't have much value but it's possible the dodgers would value him just enough to include him as a throw in to make our offer slightly better.

Dodgers also close to signing Cuban 2B Jose Miguel Fernandez, who could be MLB ready by mid-season if not sooner.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/01/dodgers-close-to-minors-deal-with-jose-miguel-fernandez.html

If they are truly moving on from Dozier, I still find it hard to believe that they would turn toward a Braun deal at this point.

I hope I'm wrong.

We'll see what happens. They could really use a right handed power bat. I don't see Fernandez preventing any other 2B signing for the Dodgers, although it might make it unikely that they'd have have any interest in a lefty 2B only player. (Scooter).

I'm open to including Perez or Villa to get a deal done, although it's going to take a much bigger return, particularly with Villar.

But never been a fan of Puig and McCarthy.

I assumed McCarthy was to lower the Dodgers payroll and offset some of Braun's contract.

I think at the time they wanted to get rid of Puig and get some return for him and who knows what Stearns was thinking of doing. I hope to flip him. I don't follow LA that closely, but I think he was less of a head case and performed better so maybe they want to keep him now or trade him in a separate deal.

Formerly AKA Pete

I still think somehow Braun won't be a Brewer come opening day. I wouldn't be opposed to including Perez with Braun. Braun + Perez for Puig, McCarthy and De Leon would seem to make some sense if the Dodgers were ready to give up on Puig.

I would have to be absolutely overwhelmed to include Villar in any deal to LA. They are one of the few teams that have enough in the system where it could work with some creativity though I guess

The Dodgers won't give up two big time prospects for Doizer...they won't offer enough for Villar. Not even close.

TPlush is right on with this. Villar isn't going anywhere. The Dodgers could make Scooter work as a platoon if they have too. The Dodgers are gauging everyone's price right now. Stearns can still make a great trade, but he's going to have to dig again for the right prospects in the Dodger's system.

The Dodger's are coming across as the person who shows up at your garage sale and wants to buy your $5 lamp for .50. They keep it up and teams are going to spite them. It wouldn't surprise me if the pissed Stearns off by their offers since there was little to no dialect over the past 3 months.

The Dodgers won't give up two big time prospects for Doizer...they won't offer enough for Villar. Not even close.

TPlush is right on with this. Villar isn't going anywhere. The Dodgers could make Scooter work as a platoon if they have too. The Dodgers are gauging everyone's price right now. Stearns can still make a great trade, but he's going to have to dig again for the right prospects in the Dodger's system. And Stearns seems to do a good job of finding unpolished diamonds.

The Dodger's are coming across as the person who shows up at your garage sale and wants to buy your $5 lamp for .50. They keep it up and teams are going to spite them. It wouldn't surprise me if the pissed Stearns off by their offers since there was little to no dialect over the past 3 months.

Seems more like the Dodgers are open to making a major upgrade but only at their price because they aren't particularly motivated to make a move at all.

As for the "unpolished diamonds," Villar has had one good season and the rest are no where near the majors.

There's no reason for Stearns to be pissed at the Dodgers and I'm sure he isn't. Stearns would be negligent in his job duties if he didn't contact the Dodgers for 3 months just because he was upset about an offer. He's more professional than that. The Dodgers know there is a limited market for Braun and they're not going to just open up the prospect vault for him. If they did offer Puig + McCarthy plus 2 legitimate prospects, not necessarily top 100, there's nothing offensive about that. The market determines Braun's trade worth, not whatever we think he's worth.

I'm sure Stearns has been in contact with the Dodgers since the season ended and if they told him that they want to explore other options first, they're well within their rights to do so.

Yeah, I'd be surprised if anyone is upset. No doubt there are a lot of deals that progress to a degree that nobody hears about.

The flip side of the limited market is they were bad against LH pitching. Maybe Friedman can snag Martinez from Detroit or the Dozier deal gets done or they roll with what they have, but what if they get bounced early.again. The Kershaw clock is ticking too.

Braun would be a great fit. SF would be pretty entertaining as well.

Formerly AKA Pete

I wonder if Braun would think about Seattle as a landing spot. West Coast, should have a competitive ball club the next couple years And nothing special in the corner outfield spots. DiPoto has shown he is willing to deal from the lower minors. Tyler ONeil or Kyle Lewis headlining a deal? Ability to use him as a DH in his later years.

Honestly, I would have liked Seattle as a trade partner on Braun before yesterday - as I would have wanted Gohara in the package coming back. I think we really need at least one high upside arm coming back in any Braun deal, and Gohara is really the only pitching prospect in their system that would really excite me right now (at least above the A ball level). I think any deal with the Mariners would have had to have included Lewis and Gohara, and now one of those big pieces is gone.

What is everyone's thoughts about the Giants? They could still use a big bat in the middle of their lineup. What would we need to get back from them in a trade, as I know that their system isn't exactly oozing with talent right now. Is Beede anything more than a mid-rotation guy down the road? What's the upside on guys like Shaw and Reynolds?

Archived