Brewer Fanatic

What could Braun bring from anyone? (2017 version)

pete
  • Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unfortunately I'm afraid this was a fabricated new rumor.

What makes you say that? We have reports from both Jon Morosi of MLB.com and the Boston Globe's Cafardo, plus the interview with Braun himself, to strongly suggest that talks are still ongoing. Curious as to why you say otherwise.

What makes you say that? We have reports from both Jon Morosi of MLB.com and the Boston Globe's Cafardo, plus the interview with Braun himself, to strongly suggest that talks are still ongoing. Curious as to why you say otherwise.

Bill Shaikin of the LA Times reports that the two sides are not currently discussing a trade.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/mlb/la-sp-dodgers-report-20170416-story.html

Bill Shaikin of the LA Times reports that the two sides are not currently discussing a trade.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/mlb/la-sp-dodgers-report-20170416-story.html

Thanks for that. Well, the beat writer for the Dodgers is certainly a better source for this than Morosi or Cafardo, sad to say. Maybe Braun's team planted this? Wonder how the rumor started. Unless somehow Morosi and Cafardo have better sources than Shaikin, or the Dodgers are somehow freezing Shaikin out, which seems doubtful. And it does seem that Bellinger could just take over in LF any time.

Maybe the Braun trade ship has sailed. If so, too bad... Then again, if the Crew could somehow contend for the second wildcard this year, it'd be good to have Braun on the team.

I don't find beat reporters to be great at giving out rumors. For instance the Brewers local reporters never have an inside scoop. Not sure the history for the Dodgers reporter, but it is surely a case by case thing with the reliability of those guys.

Common sense dictates if the Dodgers were trying to get Braun at the deadline, they still want him now. In fact, their need for Braun has only increased. I'm sure they know the asking price, so there's no need for constant ongoing discussions about it. Just a matter of whether Dodgers are willing to give up what it takes, or not.

Common sense dictates if the Dodgers were trying to get Braun at the deadline, they still want him now. In fact, their need for Braun has only increased. I'm sure they know the asking price, so there's no need for constant ongoing discussions about it. Just a matter of whether Dodgers are willing to give up what it takes, or not.

But if Bellinger has been playing OF in spring training and at the beginning of the AAA season, that would indicate the Dodgers would bring him up and play him there, right? And why wouldn't they? It would cost a whole lot less than Braunie.

Yes, but they knew Bellinger was the real deal at the deadline last year, so nothing has really changed there. They also know it's not a lock Bellinger will be enough. If they really want a big RH bat the next couple years, there's Braun just waiting for you.

Yes, but they knew Bellinger was the real deal at the deadline last year, so nothing has really changed there. They also know it's not a lock Bellinger will be enough. If they really want a big RH bat the next couple years, there's Braun just waiting for you.

Much as I'd love the Brewers and Dodgers to make a good deal on Braun, if I'm LA in 2017 I'll plug Bellinger in LF and go with Puig in RF (OPS-ing 1.100 so far this year) and not have to spend a dime on Braun.

The specific shortcoming with the Dodgers offense is hitting LH pitching. With Bellinger being a lefty himself, I doubt he improves that issue.

Skaikin's article seems like one planted on behalf of the Dodgers who want to drive down the perceived need for Braun. On the other hand, as has been mentioned before, the articles on the continued trade talk could have been planted/started by the Brewers or Braun's people. It almost as bad as politics.

The specific shortcoming with the Dodgers offense is hitting LH pitching. With Bellinger being a lefty himself, I doubt he improves that issue.

Skaikin's article seems like one planted on behalf of the Dodgers who want to drive down the perceived need for Braun. On the other hand, as has been mentioned before, the articles on the continued trade talk could have been planted/started by the Brewers or Braun's people. It almost as bad as politics.

Interesting idea. Funny thing is, if they're each doing that, then probably each side knows it. Which makes it both funny and absurd.

Now if the Gigantes suddenly jump in (if they have enough to offer), things could get interesting...

For anyone interested, small sample size of course, but here are the 2017 starts some of the relevant players in the discussion are off to:

http://i.imgur.com/EryrclM.jpg

In addition to the 'vs. LHP' struggles each team is having, it's interesting to note that each team has thrown 4+ different players into left field already this season. I'm sure both would value having an everyday player fill that spot.

Looking at what the Giants have, it would take Beede +. Is that what either side would do? No idea.

Ideally, I would like to see the Padres swoop in and get a deal done, then have Braun just rake against the Dodgers showing them what they missed out on by screwing around for a year. Sort of like the lottery, fun to daydream.

The Giants and Dodgers keep fartin' the dog and the Rocks and Dbacks will be the ones at the top of the NL West. Won't be long and the Rocks get Desmond and Dahl back and will make them stronger yet.

If I'm giving up prospects A, B, and C, for Braun I would want him on my team ASAP. It will cost the team acquiring him the same prospects whether it's today, May 23rd, or July 31st. He may net you 2-3 games between now and May 24th with his bat alone.

If you guy's want some cheap entertainment, I have been battling with the Dodger's fans on their forum on what we need in return. Long story short, they say any one of Bellinger, Alvarez, Bueller or White is totally off limits in any trade for Braun. Silly Dodger fans.....

http://www.forums.mlb.com/discussions/Los_Angeles_Dodgers/_/_/ml-dodgers/148573.1

If you guy's want some cheap entertainment, I have been battling with the Dodger's fans on their forum on what we need in return. Long story short, they say any one of Bellinger, Alvarez, Bueller or White is totally off limits in any trade for Braun. Silly Dodger fans.....

http://www.forums.mlb.com/discussions/Los_Angeles_Dodgers/_/_/ml-dodgers/148573.1

Ehhh, I wouldn't say you came out looking too great there.

Unrealistic of those Dodger fans to think Alveraz or Buehler would not be included in a Braun trade. I get why they want to hang on to Buehler, as he looks like he is going to explode this season and be a top 40 prospect by the end of the year. White seems to be their Erceg. A 2nd rounder last year that has caught the eye of the fan base. I would imagine there would be some gnashing of teeth here if Erceg was traded away at this point too.

Bellinger I'm certain is off limits. We're not getting him.

While Braun has value and is reinforcing it this year you're still ignoring the age/cost effects against Braun's trade value. You can't compare every player's production straight up to other players. A 28 year old with 5 years and 38M left of control is already worth considerably more than a 33 year old with 4 years and 76M left of control just on the basis of age and money before you even start evaluating production.

I had forgotten about the Dodger's struggle versus left-handed pitching, which is inexplicable considering how much discussion there was about it last year. That problem seems to have continued (.218/.302/.345/.647), but there is one really odd stat line involved. So far Puig has slashed .105/.250/.105/.355 against lefties. From 2014-2016 Puig slashed a .263/.354/.441/.795 against lefties so there is a big correction coming here.

As a side note, Forsythe currently has a 1.042 OPS versus lefties but has been brutal against righties (.443 OPS).

But if I was in the Dodger's GM chair I'd still feel pretty good about where the team was at and wouldn't be looking to pursue Braun aggressively. The Giants on the other hand.....

The Dodgers may struggle with LHP, but while Braun would solve that(only partially) Bellinger playing well and making about 20mil less is just if not more valuable. To them I think hitting LHP is more of a luxury that would be more worth it if Braun was improving them greatly regardless. Instead right now they are getting good production out of the position and I doubt they are that pressed to trade away the farm and open their wallet just for one guy to mash some LHP.

With the way he's hitting, World Series here we come!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived