Brewer Fanatic

What could Braun bring from anyone? (2017 version)

pete

You seem pretty upset that the rumors don't agree with your thoughts on Braun's value. While not all rumors are 100%, there is truth to most of them. I doubt the many rumors about Braun's lack of value are 100% garbage. Good chance they are mostly true.

I'd say there is an element of truth to many rumors, but that's much different than them being true.

The only thing I've heard about Braun's lack of value is Cafardo, people reporting on what Cafardo said and the Dave Cameron types who extrapolate a webpage to negative conclusions.

Is there any actual reporting other than Cafardo who is the only guy I can remember that Melvin felt compelled to state was flat out false is something he claimed.

Formerly AKA Pete

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply
De Leon straight-up for Dozier is a low-ball offer from the Dodger's end. If those are the types of offers they are giving this off-season they won't be making a trade with anyone.

Word is that the Dodgers are being really stingy with their prospects. I don't blame them, but as you note, they seem to be low balling teams. However, the deal with Oakland they made last summer wasn't anything to sneeze at. In the end, I imagine it will be DeLeon and a couple of lower level guys. They are reluctant to give up guys they think could be all-star level players. I don't think they see DeLeon as a top of the rotation guy, but Alvarez and Buehler have that kind of potential (even if they are a lot further away from the majors).

The Dodgers should be peddling Willie Calhoun - he's a DH/LF type best suited for the AL.

Calhoun makes sense in this deal.

Dodgers get:

2B-Brian Dozier

Twins get:

RHP-Jose De Leon

2B/LF/DH-Willie Calhoun

RHP-Brock Stewart

Would be good value for the Twins that includes two potential starting pitchers...the Dodgers get Dozier without giving up one critical piece considering their excess of controllable starting pitching plus a bat that might not even fit in the NL.

MLB TRADE RUMORS has posted this article, speculating that Phillies could have interest in trading for Braun.

http://www.phillyvoice.com/three-potential-trading-partners-for-the-phillies/

1. Can't see Braun approving a trade to Philly, as they are on his no-trade list.

2. Can't see the Phillies making a move like this at this junction of their re-build

I also found it interesting that in the MLB Trade Rumors comments section, a poster speculates that Toronto could have interest in Braun. Again, I'm not so sure and am even less sure Braun would want to go there.

This is a quote from another poster, speculating on a Phillies trade for Joey Gallo, J.D. Martinez or Ryan Braun that I found interesting....

Houseoflords44 says:

"There was a reason the Rangers & Phillies didn’t make a trade involving Velasquez. The Phillies wanted a return like they got for Ken Giles. The Rangers weren’t willing to do that. I don’t see the asking price or the Rangers willingness to give that up changing now. As for Braun & Martinez, neither one makes a ton of sense for the Phillies. Why would they want to bring in Braun & all his baggage? They don’t need that."

I don't think it's a secret that other teams fans and front offices view Braun as someone that has "baggage" on top of his current market-value contract.

Anyone expecting a big return for Braun should not continue holding their breath, IMHO. I don't get the feeling he's going anywhere this offseason.

While it's not the worst thing in the world to continue rooting for the former MVP to stay productive as a Brewer, it's hard to envision his numbers getting better than last season as he ages.

Braun makes zero sense for the Phillies. Can't see that one happening.

He does make a ton of sense for Toronto. At first glance it would seem like a sure thing that Braun would veto a trade to Toronto, but his wife is from there so it probably can't be completely ruled out. If it were to happen though, it's very likely that Braun would demand the option year be turned into a player option which would give both sides another hurdle to get over.

Braun makes zero sense for the Phillies. Can't see that one happening.

He does make a ton of sense for Toronto. At first glance it would seem like a sure thing that Braun would veto a trade to Toronto, but his wife is from there so it probably can't be completely ruled out. If it were to happen though, it's very likely that Braun would demand the option year be turned into a player option which would give both sides another hurdle to get over.

I'd love to see a trade for Sean Reid-Foley and Rowdy Tellez from Toronto just because I like SRF's mustache and Rowdy's name.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
We are also in the "news creation" portion of the MLB year (i.e. making up possible rumors to generate anything half-way interesting to read in a dry-zone of baseball happenings). So people seeing Encarnacion sign with the Indians and figure that you need to replace him somehow. Not caring if there is an internal replacement or just not going to be replaced at that same level.

We are also in the "news creation" portion of the MLB year (i.e. making up possible rumors to generate anything half-way interesting to read in a dry-zone of baseball happenings). So people seeing Encarnacion sign with the Indians and figure that you need to replace him somehow. Not caring if there is an internal replacement or just not going to be replaced at that same level.

Very true. At the same time, at least Toronto makes sense at some level, whereas the Phillies make no sense whatsoever. Makes it really tough for us to speculate when we have no idea how open-minded Braun is to any team not on his cleared list. But that won't stop us from speculating anyhow. ; )

Regardless of whether Toronto or anywhere else makes sense from that team's perspective, it's a moot point if Braun doesn't want to go there. In the case of Toronto, if he doesn't have the desire to play there, I doubt that even putting the 5th year in his court will outweigh playing 4+ years somewhere that he doesn't want to play.

Regardless of whether Toronto or anywhere else makes sense from that team's perspective, it's a moot point if Braun doesn't want to go there. In the case of Toronto, if he doesn't have the desire to play there, I doubt that even putting the 5th year in his court will outweigh playing 4+ years somewhere that he doesn't want to play.

Exactly. Braun's no-trade clause isn't going to be easily worked around. Once he becomes a 10/5 guy a couple months into the season and can veto any deal anywhere it may even make it tougher to deal him. I think that's the main reason Brewers will listen to offers, but they need to stand firm and get real value back. Getting "stuck" with the services of a Hall of Fame caliber player (even tho PED's will keep him out) for his age 33-36 seasons isn't a disaster by any means.

A lot of teams would like to get his services and not give up anything of value. Doing that kind of deal doesn't make any sense.

I wasn't able to find the answer to this... when does Braun update his no-trade exempt teams. It seems the Rockies think they are contenders. Would CO be close enough to California to add them to his exempt list?

Parra plus a far away prospect for Braun.

From Braun's perspective, he'd be closer to Cali and be able to mash a mile high for half of his games. From the Rockies perspective, they are able to dump a crap contract in Parra and significantly upgrade the outfield, to go along with their big signing. From our perspective, we'd have to take on a crap contract, but we'd get a top end prospect in return. Parra is going to get paid less and for a shorter length of time.

I don't see the GM wanting to significantly downgrade the starting lineup...

"There's more people to ignore in New York or in Boston than there are in Milwaukee, but I would still ignore them, probably."

-Zack Greinke

Speaking of lists, I am confused about the recent Philly rumor. I doubt Philly is on his exempt list. His lists in the past were generally west coast teams and FL with the assumption the team would compete. I also don't see why Philly would trade for him, outside of filling the stands.

"There's more people to ignore in New York or in Boston than there are in Milwaukee, but I would still ignore them, probably."

-Zack Greinke

Honestly, and I say this as a big fan of David Stearns, and I'm just speculating, but I think the Braun non-deal in August was probably his first big 'mistake'. Frankly, I think he likely overplayed his hand, maybe just slightly, but enough to kill the deal.

If an offer with Puig, McCarthy, and even two 10-15 organizational prospects was in play, I think Stearns is probably kicking himself a bit. Now there's a chance that Braun repeats his 2016 and all of this is a option again next year, but now we've got 10/5 rights to deal with.

If they truly were right on the brink and just ran out of time by 20 minutes, that's unfathomable to me in this day and age to run out of time on a magnitude of that kind of trade for a rebuilding club.

Like I said, I'm a big fan of Stearns, even if all this is true, people do make mistakes. And this is just mostly my speculation.

Difficult to speculate on without knowing what else is happening in Braun trade talks. Puig is such a wildcard. He'll be 26 this year, had a 101 OPS+ last year. He does have 3 more years of control but man oh man not sure if I want Puig as a center piece of a Braun deal
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

MLB trade rumors reports that The Mariners are looking to add an outfielder. Is Seattle close enough to California? And Braun's wife (from Canada) maybe open to moving there.

Possibly a buy low candidate in Kyle Lewis after he tore his knee up and Tyler O'Neill. The Mariners seem to be lacking in pitching prospects however.

Honestly, and I say this as a big fan of David Stearns, and I'm just speculating, but I think the Braun non-deal in August was probably his first big 'mistake'. Frankly, I think he likely overplayed his hand, maybe just slightly, but enough to kill the deal.

If an offer with Puig, McCarthy, and even two 10-15 organizational prospects was in play, I think Stearns is probably kicking himself a bit. Now there's a chance that Braun repeats his 2016 and all of this is a option again next year, but now we've got 10/5 rights to deal with.

If they truly were right on the brink and just ran out of time by 20 minutes, that's unfathomable to me in this day and age to run out of time on a magnitude of that kind of trade for a rebuilding club.

Like I said, I'm a big fan of Stearns, even if all this is true, people do make mistakes. And this is just mostly my speculation.

Why would Stearns be kicking himself? He doesn't have to figure out what to with McCarthy and he's still has one of the premier bats in all of baseball manning LF who's locked up for 4 more seasons.

Why would Stearns be kicking himself? He doesn't have to figure out what to with McCarthy and he's still has one of the premier bats in all of baseball manning LF who's locked up for 4 more seasons.

Simply put, because I don't expect Braun to be one of the premier bats in all of baseball when this team is contending again, or even close to it. Certainly hope I'm wrong.

Taking on McCarthy isn't an issue. If that's all the salary we have to take on, that's a victory. It's a necessary evil to get anything of value for Braun.

Let him contend for a rotation spot, stick him in long relief, try to re-package him for 50 cents on the dollar to someone else as a salary dump, it doesn't really matter. It's only a 2 year issue.

Well, forget my last post as Seattle has just traded for Jared Dyson.

I could still see Seattle as a landing spot. Dyson is for 1 year I believe and is primarily a defensive CF. The other 2 spots have a bunch of young guys who will compete for roster spots. I could see one stepping up and starting and another being a bench and platoon guy.

It seems like a pretty fun lineup already and add Braun. The infield could be potent and the OF could have Braun, Hanniger and Mat Gamel's little brother.

I hope Vogelbach is great.

Formerly AKA Pete

It's looking like the sticking point for a Dozier trade is that the Twins are requiring a top pitching prospect in return. Hence DeLeon and they also asked for Bellinger. If the Dodgers do not acquire Dozier, I see no reason that Braun couldn't fetch Bellinger and Verdugo together. Possibly Scooter could be sent their way too with Sheffield added to Milwaukee.

Bellinger and Verdugo for Braun? I wish. If the Dodgers aren't willing to part with Bellinger for Dozier, why would they be willing to do it for Braun?

Some obviously disagree but when you compare all of age, position, contract, and any other factors, I think it's very clear that Dozier has a higher net trade value than Braun does. If the Dodgers valued Braun more, they could certainly have him as he's obviously available. All signs indicate they're much more focused on Dozier right now.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
In some way, I'm hoping Braun gets traded just to see what the return is. I still think the return is going to be minimal. People are throwing around 2-3 top 100 guys. I'd be happy with one. But again, maybe I'm wrong on his value. But that's why I'm intrigued about what he will actually fetch (assuming he's dealt).

Archived