Brewer Fanatic

Who's overpaid by the Brewers

Easy to say Braun is over paid, but I say he's a great player making below average money. Garza is over paid, but will be gone in 3 to 6 months. Thames?, Perez?

They've done a good job managing the payroll to make it hard to find overpaid players on the team without really splitting hairs.

Not sure what you meant by Thames and Perez, can't fathom that anyone would suggest either is overpaid.

Agreed. Nobody is being overpaid on this team. I don't like Garza's contract, but he woulda got the same deal from some other team. Unfortunately in pro sports, you get paid on previous performance, not on what you will do.

Matt Garza keeps pitching well and even he won't be overpaid. Not really any bad contracts on a young team. Maybe Feliz, but that is a drop in the bucket type money that is pretty meaningless on the payroll.

Easy to say Braun is over paid, but I say he's a great player making below average money. Garza is over paid, but will be gone in 3 to 6 months. Thames?, Perez?

http://i.imgur.com/xZEBBLp.gif

I'm actually curious why you think Thames an Perez are overpaid.

Particularly interesting how a player making the league minimum (Perez) can be overpaid. I mean sure, if he was performing at a sub-replacement player level. Hernan might not be an all star, but he's producing a .800+ OPS right now, is pretty good on the basepaths, can play every position and be solid defensively in most of them and seems to be handling that role well. All that together creates value above what the raw numbers (Who by themselves aren't bad) shows.

My gosh, by B-R calculations, Perez has the 3rd highest WAR on the Brewers through 34 games (1.0). Maybe they should lock him up for a few years.

He's 26 and hits arby next year. Being a "bench player," he shouldn't be overly expensive through the arby process, but I wouldn't be upset if they signed him to a "Lucroy deal" for 4-5 years. Guys with his versatility who can hit have value, and since he can slot in anywhere except catcher and pitcher, we should always have a spot for him.

Agreed. Nobody is being overpaid on this team. I don't like Garza's contract, but he woulda got the same deal from some other team. Unfortunately in pro sports, you get paid on previous performance, not on what you will do.

I doubt anyone else would have given him that deal. If I recall correctly, Garza was still on the FA market with the offseason passing. Melvin didn't want him and there didn't seem to be a huge market for him, so his agent called Attanasio directly and got the long-term deal no one else was offering. Attanasio's public quote was something like "I know we weren't going to add payroll, but how can you pass on someone like Garza." Moves like this are why I'm glad that Attanasio seems to have had an epiphany after the 2014 late-season collapse followed by the horrible start in 2015, which led to the hiring of Stearns and the beginning of the rebuild.

If this thread was started a few years ago, it would have ended up being about 57 pages long. I much prefer where the Brewers franchise is today.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I doubt anyone else would have given him that deal. If I recall correctly, Garza was still on the FA market with the offseason passing. Melvin didn't want him and there didn't seem to be a huge market for him, so his agent called Attanasio directly and got the long-term deal no one else was offering.

My recollection of Garza's free agency is that his marketability was severely hindered by draft pick compensation, which is why he signed with Milwaukee very close to the start of the season. Hopefully, someone else can confirm.

I doubt anyone else would have given him that deal. If I recall correctly, Garza was still on the FA market with the offseason passing. Melvin didn't want him and there didn't seem to be a huge market for him, so his agent called Attanasio directly and got the long-term deal no one else was offering.

My recollection of Garza's free agency is that his marketability was severely hindered by draft pick compensation, which is why he signed with Milwaukee very close to the start of the season. Hopefully, someone else can confirm.

Lohse was tied to a draft pick, so he received less of a contract from the Brewers than he would have had as a free free agent. Garza was free as he was traded in 2013 so that he couldn't be tied to a draft pick compensation.

Archived