Brewer Fanatic
Anyone have any interest in this guy who quite obviously needs a change of scenery? While he might never be the same pitcher he once was given the thoracic outlet surgery he had, he's young enough that he may be able to turn it around the further he gets from surgery. Is this someone the Brewers should be targeting if it did not cost a significant amount?

If he basically cost nothing, sure. He is a free agent in 2019 and not signable for the Brewers.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

He's been pretty terrible for a couple of years now, but if the brain trust thinks he could be successful with a change of scenery, I'd be interested for sure. I wouldn't give up anything super valuable though.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

If he basically cost nothing, sure. He is a free agent in 2019 and not signable for the Brewers.

Well, that's kinda putting the proverbial cart before the horse. First of all, that's almost 3 years away. So even if he was good, we really have no idea if he'd be signable. But more importantly...we have no idea if he'd be worth signing.

I look at a guy like this as the Brewers basically hoping for a Jake Arietta type situation....the exact scenarios differ, but a guy with a history of success who is now treading water and may just need a change of scenery.

I doubt Harvey turns it around, but he is still just 28, had an FIP of 3.47 last year..so not as bad as his overall numbers would suggest, and he's throwing just as hard as he was early. On top of that, his GB pct is up and he has a fluky HR pct. Of course his K rate has plummeted, his walks are up and he's probably all but done.

But I'd gladly take a chance that he can turn it around depending on the ask. Maybe a talented former 1st rounder like Clint Coulter? I loved Coulter, but he's stalled and we are crazy loaded with OF'ers throughout the system. Maybe as part of a bigger deal...as long as he's the "Travis Shaw," of the deal.

No thanks. He is garbage and needs a babysitter.

Has there been more than the one issue of him oversleeping and being late to the game that I'm not aware of?

Not gonna argue the garbage part because...it doean't really warrant an argument, but he's not exactly a Dez Bryant like personality as far as I know.

Harvey was an Ace before TJ. Having his numbers dwindle while still pitching with the same FB velocity isnt decreasing his value to a Clint Coulter. Maybe Coulter would be the 3rd piece. Id guess Dubon, Lopez, Coulter wouldnt be enough to get Harvey. Corey Ray, Dubon, and Lopez would probably be able to sell for Harvey living off of Ray's 5th pick before he drops below a top 20 Brewers prospect the end of this season.

No thanks. He is garbage and needs a babysitter.

Has there been more than the one issue of him oversleeping and being late to the game that I'm not aware of?

Thats a real nice way of putting it.

There have been reports teammates have been quite annoyed with him for awhile and has been a problem for the team for years. It really hasn't been a pretty relationship out in New York.

Harvey was an Ace before TJ. Having his numbers dwindle while still pitching with the same FB velocity isnt decreasing his value to a Clint Coulter. Maybe Coulter would be the 3rd piece. Id guess Dubon, Lopez, Coulter wouldnt be enough to get Harvey. Corey Ray, Dubon, and Lopez would probably be able to sell for Harvey living off of Ray's 5th pick before he drops below a top 20 Brewers prospect the end of this season.

Thats not true and it has actually dropped each year since the last good year he had. And this year I know it has dropped 1mph which may be 2mph with the new tracking system, but not really sure.

This article covers it all pretty well and I like their view on his value:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/no-mets-fans-youre-not-going-to-get-anything-good-back-in-a-matt-harvey-trade/

Talk about over reaction.. Ray below the Brewers top 20?... looking at your post history.. you are the definition of over reaction and being clueless.. look at his numbers, not only have they gotten worse every year, but so has his fastball velocity.. if you are going to make a trade for a pitcher. Go after one of the Rays pitchers that you have the same length of control and dont have to deal with the locker room cancer... Making a trade for a one card wild card game is useless and defeats the purpose of what they are trying to do.. stay the course and if you make the wild card its gravy..

Just thinking back to how the Mets really stepped up in the Lucroy bidding. If Stearns were to call about Harvey the Mets would probably ask for 1B-Eric Thames, OF-Lewis Brinson, LHP-Josh Hader and RHP-Brandon Woodruff and then would bend to include 3B-Wilmer Flores but only to make Stearns think he got the better of the deal.

Talk about over reaction.. Ray below the Brewers top 20?... looking at your post history.. you are the definition of over reaction and being clueless.. look at his numbers, not only have they gotten worse every year, but so has his fastball velocity.. if you are going to make a trade for a pitcher. Go after one of the Rays pitchers that you have the same length of control and dont have to deal with the locker room cancer... Making a trade for a one card wild card game is useless and defeats the purpose of what they are trying to do.. stay the course and if you make the wild card its gravy..

Nope not over-reacting. I stand by that Ray below the Brewers top 20. I called this on Tyrone Taylor when he was #1/2 a few years back. The cream of the crop who disappointed last year are producing this year. Harrison, Gatewood et al. Ive touted from the beginning his ceiling on his tools just arent comparable to other prospects the Brewers have. Coming out of college, he's older than a number of the guys drafted in 14. Every month hes out there not putting up an eye popping number is a month for younger guys to surpass him byjust looking improved.

I also stand behind what Harvey will command from the Mets. I may drop the level of headliner by 15-30 spots in top 100 ranking since his velocity is down that I was misinformed on. He just needs a few starts june/july that look good like his first starts to this season. He's not making enough to be a salary relief. He is more than a rental. The Mets aren't in heavy need to remove him from the team. They have starters on the DL. If you want him you gotta pay to take him.

Harvey can easily be traded in the offseason giving him time to improve his stock

Edit. And wow. In 109 PAs Ray has 0HRs. A low 600s OPS 33ks or 30% to 9 walks. Yeah. He's disappointing to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived