Brewer Fanatic

Control vs. Command

One of my friends has a teenager playing baseball. The son asked what's the difference between command and control? My friend pointed out that people frequently use the terms inter-changeably.

Here are a couple of articles that explain the difference between control and command.

I'd appreciate any additional insights folks here have regarding the differences. Beyond that, I thought the members here may find this topic interesting so I started the discussion.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/news/story?id=6455271

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/230151-control-vs-command-whats-the-difference

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I've read it as control represents the pitcher’s ability to throw strikes. Command is the pitcher’s ability to throw pitches where he intends to throw them.

They are related - and as noted - used interchangeably by many (myself included).

The Bleacher Report does a nice job going into depth about it.

Agreed with Reilly. It's interesting, and a distinction I think I've taken for granted.

You could have control and throw strikes, but you could get battered. The hitter may lock in. But a guy with command could throw strikes but really manipulate the hitter even within the strike zone. If you can hit certain desired spots such as corners in the strike zone you could really keep the hitter off balance. I'd say Greg Maddux would be the poster child for command in our lifetimes.

In a sense, you could also have command outside the strike zone if the hitter has poor discipline and you could have him chasing. There you'd have command but since you're operating outside the strike zone I'm not sure the stat nuts would see control.

One of those things where there's no "right" answer. Many of these terms to describe pitching are used differently by various people. For example, Auggie describes any pitch that's not a fastball a breaking ball. (At least I think that's what he's saying.)

As for command and control? I've always seen control as the ability to put your pitch where you want it. Synonymous with "locate." Command, to me, has always meant ability to throw a particular pitch effectively. "Ben Sheets has command of his curve tonight."

They were used interchangeably until recent years when the actual control and command statistics were created. Control was defined as basically BB/9. Command was defined as basically K/BB. So statistically control is the ability to not walk people and command is the ability to strike out significantly more players than you walk.

Control is the ability to put the ball in the strike zone, command is the ability to put the ball where you want it in my mind. If you aim for the outside corner and catch the middle of the plate you are still displaying control, but you are not displaying command.

They were used interchangeably until recent years when the actual control and command statistics were created. Control was defined as basically BB/9. Command was defined as basically K/BB. So statistically control is the ability to not walk people and command is the ability to strike out significantly more players than you walk.

Control is the ability to put the ball in the strike zone, command is the ability to put the ball where you want it in my mind. If you aim for the outside corner and catch the middle of the plate you are still displaying control, but you are not displaying command.

Yea just watch Peralta pitch for a prime example of this. He has a million dollar arm and fifty dollar command.

I feel as though the difference is similar to that of precision and accuracy.

accuracy_vs_precision_556.jpg

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived