Brewer Fanatic

Early 70's Brewers pitchers pitch types

brobby05

Hi Everybody,

I'm new here so maybe I got my post in an incorrect topic...I don't know. I was wondering if somebody could help me with some info that I need to put in my 1971 & 1974 seasons of MVP Baseball 2005 pc. I need some pitch types for the following pitchers that aren't in the James/Neyer Guide to Pitchers.

Bill Castro-1974

Bill Travers-1974

Billy Champion-1974

Kevin Kobel-1974

Tom Murphy-1974

Eduardo Rodriguez-1974

Marcelino Lopez-1971

Floyd Weaver-1971

Thanks in advance for your help...I like to be as authentic as possible with my player adjustments for the seasons.

BRobby05

PS: I don't mind going to a site and dig myself if I know where to go for it. I love looking up stuff but I was at the end of my rope with this.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

BRobby05,

I moved this topic over to the Major League forum to so that it might get noticed a little better.

There are a couple of people who might be able to help you, such as JohnBriggs.

Thanks.

ReillyMcShane

BRobby05,

I moved this topic over to the Major League forum to so that it might get noticed a little better.

There are a couple of people who might be able to help you, such as JohnBriggs.

Thanks.

ReillyMcShane

I have no recollection of Floyd Weaver or Marcelino Lopez. Lopez had success early in his career as a Angel so I'm guessing he was a power pitcher who had lost his command as a Brewer.

Travers was a hard throwing lefty early in his career (before shoulder problems). Champion was also a typical power pitcher of the time. Eduardo Rodriguez was one of my favorites back then. He threw everything hard but had some command issues. He used a lot of different arm angles as I recall too. I remember Murphy well but don't recall much what his stuff was like. He's more memorable for the "Irish Jig" that organist Frank Charles used to play as he trotted in from the bullpen. Don't recall much about what Kobel featured either. I think he did throw pretty hard though too.

Castro was finesse guy who needed pinpoint command to be effective. I doubt his fastball topped 89-90 but he'd mix in some decent breaking stuff. I'd term him crafty. A slider might have been his out pitch.

Sorry I can't be more descriptive, but though I'd see 20-25 games live back then, there wasn't the daily TV access to see these guys and that was 43 years ago.

I was very young at the time, but loved Billy Travers. I just got accustomed to him being hurt all the time, though, sadly.

Slaton and Travers were my favorites.

From Travers to Higuera to Sheets, Rogers, Neugebauer, Mike Jones and others, we know a thing or two about "what might have been" when it comes to injured pitchers.

Our late 2000s team was building the nice arsenal of position players and the hope was Ben Sheets was our guy with that crew. It didn't come together the way we envisioned. Imagine a healthy Sheets rolling with Sabathia in 2008 and with Grienke in 2011.

Thanks a million for your kindness. I'm brand new here of course!

Thanks,

BRobby05

You're welcome. I'm not sure you'll get a lot of response just because so many of our users were too young (or not born yet) to have paid attention to these guys. But it can't hurt to ask.

I'm old enough to remember those guys....but unfortunately, I'm not insightful enough to recall their pitching style. Funny, when I think of those guys I tend to think of their baseball cards.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Community Moderator
Too young to be of any help but I absolutely love that James/Neyer Guide to Pitchers, definitely one of my favorite baseball books of all time. So much great information there. Especially enjoy some of the period accounts they were able to find for some of the lesser known pitchers from back in the day.

I'm old enough to remember owning their baseball cards but not old enough to remember their pitching styles.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Thanks a million to everybody who's trying to help me. I really appreciate it! It's too bad that there's no info in the 1974 Brewers media guide like the Orioles one. It has everybody's pitch types except for Palmer, but I already knew his (rising fastball, overhand curve or 12-6 curve ball & slider. It even has Don Hood's, Jesse Jefferson's and Wayne Garland's.

Thanks again,

BRobby05

Archived