Brewer Fanatic

When do mid-season promotions typically happen?

I didn't pay too much attention to this in previous seasons, and last year so many of our top guys were underperforming that there wasn't much reason to care, but when do we think that some of our guys are going to get the bump up to the next level?

Just taking a quick look at the rosters, it seems like there are some guys who are no brainers to bump up to the next level as soon as June-ish:

To A+:

- Trey Supak

- Monte Harrison

To AA:

- Jake Gatewood

- Corbin Burnes

- Isan Diaz

To AAA:

- Bubba Derby

- Nick Ramirez

Obviously all these guys have the caveat that they would need to continue their great performances into June, but could we expect promotions for some or all of these guys by the early to mid June time frame? Has Stearns been here enough to give us an idea of how he does this?

When were Freddy Peralta and Marcos Diplan promoted last year? Also worth noting I guess that Isan Diaz wasn't promoted at all last year.

Player promotions last year not including 2016 draft picks (there really weren't a whole lot involving major prospects, and almost all were pitchers):

Marcos Diplan A to A+: 7/10

Freddy Peralta A to A+: 7/9

Josh Hader AA to AAA: 6/11

Brandon Woodruff A+ to AA: 5/15

Jon Perrin A to A+: 5/11

Devin Willimas A to A+: 8/9

Wei-Chung Wang AA to AAA: 8/9

Angel Ventura A+ to AA: 7/9

Clint Coulter A+ to AA: 8/5

Kyle Wren: AA to AAA: 6/4

Dustin DeMuth A+ to AA: 7/26

Mitch Ghelfi: A to A+: 7/26

I didn't pay too much attention to this in previous seasons, and last year so many of our top guys were underperforming that there wasn't much reason to care, but when do we think that some of our guys are going to get the bump up to the next level?

Just taking a quick look at the rosters, it seems like there are some guys who are no brainers to bump up to the next level as soon as June-ish:

To A+:

- Trey Supak

- Monte Harrison

To AA:

- Jake Gatewood

- Corbin Burnes

- Isan Diaz

To AAA:

- Bubba Derby

- Nick Ramirez

Obviously all these guys have the caveat that they would need to continue their great performances into June, but could we expect promotions for some or all of these guys by the early to mid June time frame? Has Stearns been here enough to give us an idea of how he does this?

When were Freddy Peralta and Marcos Diplan promoted last year? Also worth noting I guess that Isan Diaz wasn't promoted at all last year.

.......I think the answer is kinda in your title ;)

I would think Harrison, Gatewood, and maybe I.Diaz, Neuhaus would get promotions. Maybe T.Clark, Ray, or Stokes (AA needs some OF help) if they pick it up a bit.

The pitchers are really shining though. There are really too many candidates to list. It depends on how many go to the majors to make room for promotions. Hader and Woodruff could (should) go to the rotation. Lopez and T.Williams at AA could jump over AAA and go to the bullpen if there are no more rotation spots. I like the idea of Williams going to the bullpen to limit his innings and then contend for a rotation spot next year.

Since Nick Ramirez was mentioned in the original post does anybody have scouting information on him? It has impressed me that he has been able to pitch so well at AA after so many years away from the mound, it is not like they had him start the year at Wisconsin. Does he have big league potential, especially considering he is a lefty? It would seem to me they might want to aggressively push him to AAA just to see how he does especially considering he is rule 5 eligible and may need to make a decision on if he is 40 man worthy or not after the season.

Ramirez sits around 90 MPH, maybe a tick more, so he has plenty of velocity for a LHP. His primary offspeed pitch is a changeup, which is atypical for a LOOGY. I haven't seen him pitch much, but I've seen a curveball a few times as well. He hasn't been getting very many strikeouts, and of the few I've seen, they were on fastballs. Command is not great, though his fastball does move a little.

It will be interesting to see where he is a few months from now. If he can find a breaking pitch he feels comfortable with, he has a chance.

Archived