Brewer Fanatic

Victor Roache traded to the Dodgers

TURBO
Verified Member

Dodgers acquired OF Victor Roache from the Brewers for a player to be named later or cash considerations.

Roache was batting just .176/.238/.230 in 80 plate appearances this season for Double-A Biloxi. The former first-round pick possesses impressive raw power, but he is a 25-year-old non-prospect at this point.

Source: Adam McCalvy on TwitterMay 4 - 1:36 PM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Opens up a spot for a promotion later on this season.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Verified Member

That was a dreadful draft.

Counter, Roache and Haniger taken when Gallo, Piscotty, Brinson and McCullers were there to be had.

Good to move guys who have no future with the team, bad that it look nearly 6 years to find that out.

Verified Member

Counter, Roache and Haniger taken when Gallo, Piscotty, Brinson and McCullers were there to be had.

Good to move guys who have no future with the team, bad that it look nearly 6 years to find that out.

To be fair Haniger looks very good right now and McCullers was a top 15 talent who took a $2.5+ million bonus which would have been quite difficult for the Brewers to gain without punting on another of their top 3 picks.

Did the Dodgers have an outfield hole in AA (or possibly A+) that they just needed a body for?

I'm guessing the Brewers will get some minimal cash, unless they find themselves short a position at some level and wind up with a stop-gap player instead.

Verified Member

To be fair Haniger looks very good right now and McCullers was a top 15 talent who took a $2.5+ million bonus which would have been quite difficult for the Brewers to gain without punting on another of their top 3 picks.

The Brewers record of 1st round failure makes that punt fairly harmless. I think it is (or was) more than just being unlucky. A team that needs to "Draft and Develop" has to do a better job of drafting and developing.

Maybe the Stearns regime will be better at growing players. It's telling that most of the highly touted young players in the system were acquired from other teams.

Did the Dodgers have an outfield hole in AA (or possibly A+) that they just needed a body for?

I'm guessing the Brewers will get some minimal cash, unless they find themselves short a position at some level and wind up with a stop-gap player instead.

Maybe they can do something to help him? Never know...

Clark is showing acceptable growth for a 20 year old in A+. He is holding his own considering he is 2 years younger than most of his competition.

College players sometimes are slow to adjust to the minors so I wouldn't want to judge Ray for another full season.

Verified Member

I'm curious what is different in the Player Instruction & Development department under Stearns vs. Melvin.

Have they made changes to nutrition? Personal Training? Strike zone management? Player Assessment? Injury prevention?

That kind of stuff is usually kept hidden from the public, so they're not likely to pull back the curtain. But it doesn't really maximize their investment in these players if they keep having them do the same things they've always done.

Victor Roache was kind of panned when he was taken, so maybe there was nothing they could have done that would have made him a major leaguer. But if they don't produce better players than the Reds, Pirates, Cardinals and Cubs, there's little chance to compete.

Roache was a one dimensional player when he was drafted and that one tool was in jeopardy due to a serious wrist injury. How the Brewers thought he was a first round pick is amazing.

We can not afford to draft poorly but that exactly what we have done for years.

As someone mentioned earlier, Ray and Clark aren't looking elite at all and both were high picks, especially Ray.

Community Moderator
ugh, what a bust those 2011/2012 drafts were.

Saw the news that Jed Bradley retired from professional baseball today (LINK) as yet another reminder of the misses in those drafts.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

As someone mentioned earlier, Ray and Clark aren't looking elite at all and both were high picks, especially Ray.

And to think there are some on here screaming bloody murder because they want us to have another high pick over competing for W's on the squad / a 10th pick.

Maybe the Stearns regime will be better at growing players.

Clark and Ray aren't looking good so far...

Clark has a career 120ish wRC+ and he's in advanced A ball less than two years after being drafted out of high school. He's sometimes patient to a fault. If that's his main fault...

Corey Ray has a wRC+ of about 100. And in a whopping 340 career PAs.

Roache was a one dimensional player when he was drafted and that one tool was in jeopardy due to a serious wrist injury. How the Brewers thought he was a first round pick is amazing.

The good news is, the last 2 drafts look outstanding in round 2-5 (or should I describe it as rounds comp through 5?). Potentially the best round 2-5 in Brewers history.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Wasn't Roache a top 5 or 10 pick before the injury and then fell to the Brewers? If he was that highly rated I can't blame them for taking a chance on a guy.

He was high on draft boards after he hit a ridiculous 30 HRs in 230 ABs his Sophomore year. Then his Junior year he started out hot, but broke his wrist 6 games in. Rewind and I bet in the draft thread everyone loved that pick. Can't believe after such success in college he couldn't hit anywhere in the minors. Wrist injury must have really effected him.

Wasn't Roache a top 5 or 10 pick before the injury and then fell to the Brewers? If he was that highly rated I can't blame them for taking a chance on a guy.

He was high on draft boards after he hit a ridiculous 30 HRs in 230 ABs his Sophomore year. Then his Junior year he started out hot, but broke his wrist 6 games in. Rewind and I bet in the draft thread everyone loved that pick. Can't believe after such success in college he couldn't hit anywhere in the minors. Wrist injury must have really effected him.

I do remember a lot of excitement that he fell to us in that draft thread. Also, much concern about the wrist injury.

I'm curious what is different in the Player Instruction & Development department under Stearns vs. Melvin.

Have they made changes to nutrition? Personal Training? Strike zone management? Player Assessment? Injury prevention?

That kind of stuff is usually kept hidden from the public, so they're not likely to pull back the curtain. But it doesn't really maximize their investment in these players if they keep having them do the same things they've always done.

Victor Roache was kind of panned when he was taken, so maybe there was nothing they could have done that would have made him a major leaguer. But if they don't produce better players than the Reds, Pirates, Cardinals and Cubs, there's little chance to compete.

These are the same questions I would like to find out.. especially the idea that Gatewood just figured out he needed contacts. I tried asking Haudricourt on Twitter and the response I got was that everyone gets a physical.. Didn't answer the question. Anyone can read the top two lines in a physical.. Seeing a ball and its rotation takes more than reading the top two lines.. I haven't seen anything about minor league coaching changes. I understand the scouting and drafting personal is different, but what is different about the player management now that will allow us to be successful in creating top-tier pitchers or smart positional baseball players? These are all great questions i'd love for an insider to enlighten us on.

After Seid kicked the bucket he really left a legacy of abysmal drafts... Just can't do that as a small market ball club.

That's a real classy way to refer to the passing of a guy at a relatively young age who spent nearly 20 years with the organization......

Archived