Brewer Fanatic

I Can't Believe the Standings

Might be getting ahead of things but I love that potential divisional round matchup with the Nationals while the Dodgers are stuck facing one of their talented NL West rivals.
Yeah, except the Rockies are in free fall and LA just swept AZ after my lowly Cards beat 'em a series. The Dodgers are the best team in the world right now!

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The standings are fun to look at. Especially the what if.

If the Brewers basically play .500 ball in the second half going 36-35 in the remaining 71 games it would take the rest of the division to play the following to match their 86 wins:

-Cubs & Cards (43-45): Would need to have a winning % of .581 with a record of 43-31 over their last 74 games to match 86 wins.

-Pirates (42-47): Would need to have a winning % of .603 with a record of 44-29 over their last 73 games to match 86 wins.

Just tossing it out there to show that this division can be won.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Verified Member

The division can be won if the Cubs can't get it going and the others play like the first half. Stearns has done a fantastic job with this club.

I choose to overlook Feliz.

Looking at the standings today I am very happy.

The division can be won if the Cubs can't get it going and the others play like the first half. Stearns has done a fantastic job with this club.

I choose to overlook Feliz.

Looking at the standings today I am very happy.

Yep, who 'da thunk it? Cubs/Cards below .500 at the break? Brewers back to wall banging...nobody saw that coming.

The Bucs dropped 10 in the 1st on Lester Sunday. It's going to be a long 3 days for those North Siders. I have to share one of those "I never saw that before" moments: We have a rook, De Jong, who's tearing the cover off the ball and with Wong out has been getting lots of AB's. Anyway, on Saturday he's playing SS close to the bag with a man on 1st. He gets a tailor made DP ball...now get this: instead of stepping on the bag and firing to 1B, he inexplicably steps OVER the bag and starts to chase the runner back to first! The guy is briefly in a rundown with the batter standing on first, scratching his head, along with everybody in the park.

Fortunately for the kid, he went something like 10 for 12 with 7 XBH in the 3 game series vs. the Mets. Oh well...it's going to be a very interesting 2nd half in the Central.

I tend to worry about all of them if they're within 10 games of us - but my immediate focus is always on the teams directly behind us (at least until the lead is only 1-2 games). So right now, it's the Cubs and Cardinals.

More importantly though, the Brewers just need to win their own games. If we just keep winning, taking series, avoiding the long losing streaks, we'll be fine. We need to play well and win games against the teams at the bottom of the standings - like the Phillies coming out of the break. We still have two series with the Nationals, one with the Dodgers, Rays and Twins. So I'd expect we have some losses coming there. And probably the most important thing of all, is that we have to do well against the divisional teams. We still have 12 left with the Pirates, 10 with the Cubs and 8 with the Cardinals. The season very well might come down to how we perform in those 30 games.

• 1 month later...
The teams to worry about are the Cardinals and Pirates both of whom have better starting pitching than the Cubs do.

These words prove prophetic! The Cubs are not going to win the Central easily. Call it a hangover, the league figuring out those hot rookies or Maddon going senile. As you know, except for the Reds, the Central is basically a .500 division.

Are any of us going to beat the Nationals and then the Dodgers???

The teams to worry about are the Cardinals and Pirates both of whom have better starting pitching than the Cubs do.

These words prove prophetic! The Cubs are not going to win the Central easily. Call it a hangover, the league figuring out those hot rookies or Maddon going senile. As you know, except for the Reds, the Central is basically a .500 division.

Probably not. But someone will get a shot at the Nationals.

The Rockies and Diamondbacks seem to be holding fairly steady for the 2 WC spots. I think assumptions of the Rockies' demise may have been exaggerated a bit. Barring a total collapse by either I think it's division or bust for everyone in the Central.

If we catch the second wild card we are probably divisional leaders at that point. We are 6 games back on the wild card spots. With 40ish games left that is a heck of a lot of ground to pick up.

Agreed, but the Rockies have 14 games against the Dbacks/Dodgers and 3 against the Brewers still.

If we catch the second wild card we are probably divisional leaders at that point. We are 6 games back on the wild card spots. With 40ish games left that is a heck of a lot of ground to pick up.

Agreed, but the Rockies have 14 games against the Dbacks/Dodgers and 3 against the Brewers still.

Agree things can change if one of the wild card holders beats up the other. Or of course we sweep the Rockies etc.

Regardless I'd be more focused on the division 2.5 games away vs. a wild card 6 games away.

Of course the Cubs get lucky that Harper goes down and Kershaw is still down. Hopefully that changes come playof time because without those guys the path for the Cubs is much easier. I'm firmly in the anyone but Cubs...or Cardinals haha sorry Dead Simmons.

Hey Brewers, you want back in the wild card race? Go sweep Colorado!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If we can keep winning games, we'll find a way into the playoffs. Whether it's wildcard or division. The cubs have really had a hard time against the reds. Pounded them the first game but lost the 2nd and almost lost last night. Boston is helping us out as well. We likely will at the very least be playing some meaningful September baseball.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Brewers are 1.5 games back of the Cubs, 4 games back of Dbacks, 5 games back of the Rockies. While I wish we were doing better, I'm happy with our chances now. It's about winning now. The pitching has been better over the last month or so, and our bats are waking up. I'll take that scenario going forward. We have pretty tough schedule ahead of us, but I'm good that we are in this fight at this point - let's just keep winning.

Archived