Brewer Fanatic

I Can't Believe the Standings

I like that we have played 3 more games than most of the division. If means teams not only have to play well to catch us, but have to do it over a longer stretch of time

I was also thinking about this last night. An additional small advantage of having played more games than the other teams is that teams like the Cubs have three additional games they have to either play during a doubleheader or on what would otherwise be a day off. So the Brewers have a little extra rest here and there than their competition to get through the end of the long summer. Certainly doesn't hurt.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cubs turn a 3-0 hole into a 5-3 lead late against Tampa. Pretty bad managing by the Rays in both the 6th and 7th innings. And an awful 1-2 pitch to Jay for a 3 run homer. Still a couple innings left but the Cubs are on the way to winning today. Hopefully we can keep pace tonight!
Any team can bust out a good win and then drop 3 straight. I hate to tell you this brwr, but the Brewers are the team to beat in this division, not the Cubbies. Even the talking heads are starting to admit it...and they HATE IT! ;)

The Brewers are now guaranteed the division lead at the break

The Brewers are closer to the Nationals then the Cubs are to the Brewers

The Brewers are just two back of Colorado who is the last wild card team

The Brewers run differential is better than the Cubs, Cards, and Rockies combined.

Today I can't help but step back and soak it in. Regardless of how the rest of the season goes (and I believe in this team more and more each day), this is a time to just appreciate the great ride these guys have given us. Hopefully they carry it to NY and give us 4 days to continue the same next week.
I am not Shea Vucinich

Today's thumping of the Cubs just awesome. I understand the talent comparison and acknowledging Dodgers&Nationals better than Brewers. Both Teams have had a huge addition in the lineups in Ryan Zimmerman and Cody Bellinger. They have frontline pitching too. But injuries happen. Something i dont believe those two teams have had to deal with...at least to the stars of both teams. Here we are and the team has survived multiple DLs to hitters and pitchers. Or if not DL, multiple stretches of 4-6games missed in short time.

In no way do I see the Brewers beating out WA or LA in the standings, but in a playoff series, if they are down a significant player or three, you have a better chance to beat them. Think Ben Sheets 08. Just gotta get in to the playoffs and see how rosters are then.

WORLD SERIES ODDS, PER BOVADA ON JULY 4

Houston Astros — 9/2

Los Angeles Dodgers — 5/1

Boston Red Sox — 13/2

Washington Nationals — 7/1

Chicago Cubs — 15/2

Cleveland Indians — 15/2

Arizona Diamondbacks — 14/1

New York Yankees — 14/1

Colorado Rockies — 16/1

Milwaukee Brewers — 33/1

Toronto Blue Jays — 40/1

St. Louis Cardinals — 50/1

Baltimore Orioles — 66/1

Kansas City Royals — 66/1

Minnesota Twins — 66/1

Seattle Mariners — 66/1

Tampa Bay Rays — 66/1

Texas Rangers — 66/1

Los Angeles Angels — 80/1

Detroit Tigers — 100/1

New York Mets — 100/1

Pittsburgh Pirates — 100/1

Atlanta Braves — 150/1

Miami Marlins — 250/1

Chicago White Sox — 500/1

Cincinnati Reds — 500/1

Oakland Athletics — 500/1

Philadelphia Phillies — Off the Board

San Diego Padres — Off the Board

San Francisco Giants — Off the Board

Cubs have to be sweating now.

Not really.... still a small lead in the grand picture.

If we lost the last two instead of winning, the lead would be 1.5 games. Now, If it was September 6...... they would be sweating.

If we lost the last two instead of winning, the lead would be 1.5 games. Now, If it was September 6...... they would be sweating.

I'm really not referring to the 4.5 game lead. I'm suggesting that this is a team that has shown no signs of the 2016 team at all.

In the grand picture it is notable though. If we round it up to a 5 game lead if we finish out 37-37 the Cubs would have to go 44-34 to win the division. That is 92 win pace for a team that is currently and has been playing .500 ball all year. The Cubs have already dug themselves in a hole. .500 ball much longer and they could be in big trouble.

EDIT:

For what it is worth if we stay on our current pace (40-34 rest of the way) the Cubs would need to go 47-31...98 win pace to win the division.

For the first half of the season, even when the Brewers have had the division lead, they weren't considered the best team.

Hey everyone, the Brewers not only have the division lead right now, but they are the best team in the NL Central.

Today's thumping of the Cubs just awesome. I understand the talent comparison and acknowledging Dodgers&Nationals better than Brewers. Both Teams have had a huge addition in the lineups in Ryan Zimmerman and Cody Bellinger. They have frontline pitching too. But injuries happen. Something i dont believe those two teams have had to deal with...at least to the stars of both teams. Here we are and the team has survived multiple DLs to hitters and pitchers. Or if not DL, multiple stretches of 4-6games missed in short time.

In no way do I see the Brewers beating out WA or LA in the standings, but in a playoff series, if they are down a significant player or three, you have a better chance to beat them. Think Ben Sheets 08. Just gotta get in to the playoffs and see how rosters are then.

Trea Turner broke his hand and Adam Eaton is out for the year. That's the #1 and #2 hitters in the Nationals lineup. Dodgers have had Adrian Gonzalez, Joc Pederson, Alex Wood, Kenta Maeda, Ryu, Kazmir, Andre Ethier, and Rich Hill all hit the DL.

Trea Turner broke his hand and Adam Eaton is out for the year. That's the #1 and #2 hitters in the Nationals lineup. Dodgers have had Adrian Gonzalez, Joc Pederson, Alex Wood, Kenta Maeda, Ryu, Kazmir, Andre Ethier, and Rich Hill all hit the DL.

No way is Trea Turner or Eaton the Nationals 1/2 hitters. Theres this guy named Daniel Murphy as well as Bryce Harper.. Anthony Rendon&Ryan Zimmerman better hitters.

As to Dodgers, these guys arent seriously hurt, playing a carousel of an 8/9man rotation. Bellinger makes Gonzo DL. Joc Pederson has been a bust. The majority of the DLs for LA improved their team.

Screw the cubs and reds. The crew are in 1st, 8 games over and hungry. The bullpen is improving every single game, Knebel is an all star. As soon as we acquire Brad Hand, the crew will assert themselves and run and hide from the rest of the nl central.
T-rain.

Well, you guys knocked the snot out of those Cubbies yesterday. Could be a wake up call for them tho'. I saw that Schwarber was O-fer with an error. Maddon doesn't seem to know what to do with the guy and it can't be helping the team's chemistry.

Theo Epstein on The Score 5 minutes ago when asked about the Brewers: "They're legitimate....they can put a lethal lineup on the field against both LHP and RHP and they have the ability to add to their rotation....they are getting a lot out of their current rotation with former Cub minor league instructor Derek Johnson."

Community Moderator
Might be getting ahead of things but I love that potential divisional round matchup with the Nationals while the Dodgers are stuck facing one of their talented NL West rivals.

I wasn't really sure where to put this but the Cubs are the first team to win a World Series and not have a single returning player in the all star game the following season. The Cubs lone all star is Wade Davis.

He was saying that their position in the batting order is leadoff and #2. No, they aren't the Nats two best hitters but 2 significant pieces nonetheless

I see. Well, in Eaton they've gotten pretty close to the same numbers out of Michael Taylor, who was a top 50 Prospect. It'd be like us losing Broxton or Santana and playing Brinson and saying whomever we lost was a major contributor.

In Turner's case, He's only missed 25games and Taylor may be better in that leadoff spot over him considering the OPS+ difference. Considering that, only Turner's SS defense is missed by Washington not his Leading off bat.

Archived