Brewer Fanatic

I Can't Believe the Standings

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's crazy that we are still in first place. Every time I look at the standings, I get a huge smile on my face and shake my head. It can't last, but it sure is cool.

Yeah, I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. I probably won't really fully believe unless the calendar turns to September and we're in 1st. Call it 2014 syndrome, or whatever.

However, this season has been more fun regardless because there were no expectations for it.

It's crazy that we are still in first place. Every time I look at the standings, I get a huge smile on my face and shake my head. It can't last, but it sure is cool.

And the other cool part is the Cubs and Cards window shopping the playoffs at 6th and 7th place in the National League. Take it in while we can :)

Had we signed Holland instead of Feliz we'd be running away with the division.

Even still, this is an incredible team performance so far. I'd think CC has to be the leader for manager of the year.

Had we signed Holland instead of Feliz we'd be running away with the division.

Even still, this is an incredible team performance so far. I'd think CC has to be the leader for manager of the year.

Agreed but there was no way we were giving him what he got from Colorado.

The lineup Counsell puts out there every night compares with any around the league and that's without Braun. This was not a bad team at the end of 2016 and they've added top line offense in Shaw, Thames and Aguilar. With improving Arcia and some help from prospects arriving, if you're not on the bandwagon, where are you?

They're busy demanding we sell high on anyone producing so we can be the Philadelphia 76ers of baseball.

We aren't a 100 win team and the division is "too good" around us. We must sell until this magical 60-100 win timing happens as the rest of the division is down. We also must trade anyone who doesn't have 6 years of control.

"We must be looking at different standings"..... because the NL Central is a 2 horse race, MAYBE 3 but the Cards are pretty brutal.

What I don't understand is we have the same number of losses and 3 more wins yet they show the Cubs only a game and a half behind and not 3. Is that because we have played more games than they have?

It took me awhile to puzzle that counting scheme out as well, but each additional win is worth 0.5 of a game and each loss is also 0.5 game. The reason is that if you imagined the team changing one of the games it has already played from a loss into a win, you would decrease the loss column by 1 and increase the win column by 1 as well.

A win is worth a half game and a loss is worth a half game. So if we have the same number of games and we have one more win than the Cubs they have one fewer than us. Which means they are 1 game behind us. If they go on to lose a game and we sit idle it moves to being 1.5 games back.

Yeah, I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. I probably won't really fully believe unless the calendar turns to September and we're in 1st. Call it 2014 syndrome, or whatever.

Can't blame you for that! You went up like a rocket early on. The way you're going this year is more realistic. The Cubs are showing signs of stablizing but do still appear to be human. I think the key is to beat the North Siders when you play 'em. (both teams should feast on the other 3) ;)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Can't blame you for that! You went up like a rocket early on. The way you're going this year is more realistic. The Cubs are showing signs of stablizing but do still appear to be human. I think the key is to beat the North Siders when you play 'em. (both teams should feast on the other 3) ;)

Dead Simmons, how's the rumblings down in St. Louis? Any excitement? Is Matheny at risk? Just curious. Thanks.

Dead Simmons, how's the rumblings down in St. Louis? Any excitement? Is Matheny at risk? Just curious. Thanks.

There is a lot of talk about he AND the GM being on the hot seat, but I don't buy it. The DeWitt family is making scads of money on the team which reflects quite favorably on Matheney and Mozelik. Forty thousand fans for day games! Now that two HUGE contracts in Holliday and Peralta are gone they stand to make more money this year than ever.

I moved out of St. Louis years ago so I can only speculate on the barber shop/water cooler talk: the town MUST be very unhappy. Personally, I've been pissed ever since LaRussa was hired.

July was start with the Brewers leading the National League Central. How many people would have believed that sentence starting this season?
No kidding. I've never seen such a tight division race....still all 5 teams CLOSE in July. And of course, a percieved bottom feeder turned shark.

You know, I don't see the Cubs EVER being what they were for the last year and a half. I see you and the Pirates battling them down to the wire. Marte' will be back and Cutch seems to be Cutch again.

I seriously don't give a damn if the flip floppin' Cards get in the playoffs. It would be like the Chicago Bulls (my team) this year: what good is it making the post season if you KNOW you will be out of it early?

Verified Member

I seriously don't give a damn if the flip floppin' Cards get in the playoffs. It would be like the Chicago Bulls (my team) this year: what good is it making the post season if you KNOW you will be out of it early?

As a Packer fan, I can understand this mentality. As a Brewer fan, I savor every chance we get--however remote.

meh, every team has a shot in baseball's postseason. Same for the playoffs in the NFL. #6 teams win all the time, Wild Card teams in baseball too.

In the NBA you're right though, it's a rather pointless playoff and really only is necessary to stop three quarters of the league from tanking every year. No #5, #7, or #8 has ever won an NBA title, and a #6 has only done it once.

meh, every team has a shot in baseball's postseason. Same for the playoffs in the NFL. #6 teams win all the time, Wild Card teams in baseball too.

In the NBA you're right though, it's a rather pointless playoff and really only is necessary to stop three quarters of the league from tanking every year. No #5, #7, or #8 has ever won an NBA title, and a #6 has only done it once.

Only 2 #6 teams have won the Super Bowl in NFL history and one of those is headquartered on Lombardi Ave in northeastern WI.

Even if our chances to win it all are slim to none does it really matter? For us most predicted 65-75 wins. If we win the division and finish with 85 or so I think that would be ok in my mind. We aren't the Cubs. We aren't expected to win it all and have 100+ wins.

Yeah by far most common in MLB for a low seeded team to make a run or even win it all, probably followed by NHL then NFL. NBA is the worst playoff in sports IMO, half the teams legitimately have no shot whatsoever, and we have to spend weeks watching the inevitable teams get eliminated to slowly get to the final matchups everyone knew were destined since October.

Even if they have the lowest odds of all playoff teams, if the Crew gets in there is legitimate reason to be excited. Just ask the 83-win St. Louis Cardinals of 2006.

I am not Shea Vucinich

The Brewers would stand a decent chance in the playoffs if the Jimmy Nelson we've seen over the last 6 weeks is real, Anderson returns to his recent form when he comes back and they shock everyone and make a deal for a Gray or Quintana.

Archived