Brewer Fanatic

2017-05-01: Brewers (Davies) at Cardinals (Wacha) 7:15 PM CDT [Brewers win, 7-5, 10 innings]

hawing
The trade was about Dubon. Shaw was just a throw in that Boston had no need for. Just like the Segura trade was about Diaz but Dave Stewart wanted to give us Anderson too for some reason. Not sure how anyone can hate the way the rebuild has been done so far. Stearns has been trading veterans for young players of all levels and he's acquired like two not young MLB ready guys.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The trade was about Dubon. Shaw was just a throw in that Boston had no need for. Just like the Segura trade was about Diaz but Dave Stewart wanted to give us Anderson too for some reason. Not sure how anyone can hate the way the rebuild has been done so far. Stearns has been trading veterans for young players of all levels and he's acquired like two not young MLB ready guys.

Because people either like to complain or they feel as though these GM's operate like video games. We got really good prospects in just about every trade so far, even including Adam Lind. On top of that, we have pieces on our MLB team that are performing really well that we received in those trades as well. Like I said before... baffled.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Almost nobody is just a throw in. People use this phrase all the time but there is almost never anything really backing it up. If they had removed Anderson from the Segura trade it probably wouldn't have happened. Same with Shaw since we had an obvious need at 3B. Nelson Cruz wasn't a throw in when he was traded either.

We're 14-13, who do these guys think they are?! How about a series of fines for good play? Maybe we can take the team plane away -- make 'em take an old bus from city-to-city.

My thoughts to the Shaw hater

Im sorry you lost whatever hundreds you gambled for the Cardinals to win and lost due to Shaw, so you're venting to that loss.

Shaw has won us more games already than what an avg 3b would win for this team. His bat has improved the lineup so much bringing a lefty bat behind Braun.

Maybe Stearns acauired Shaw because Middlebrooks and Cecchini were so worthless to roster. A 3b was needed.

Tanking as the term goes is great except when 3-4 teams are tanking on the season as well to draft top 5. I want to say last season or the year before a cpl teams were losing 10+ in a row down the stretch.

My point in bringing up Kershaw, Lincecum and Scherzer wasn't to say I knew they were going to be Cy Young winners or anything like that, it was to point out that there was no chance the Brewers could draft them because of where they picked to point out the absurdity of the argument that "you can get talent anywhere in the draft."

And my counter point was that if you had the #1 pick all of those players were available but were not drafted, so unless you have become the first person in history who can actually project high school pitchers the 5-10 position swing in draft slots is totally meaningless. The best player could easily be the best "prospect" or the 5th "prospect" or the 20th "prospect". The Dodgers were lucky to have the 7th pick instead of the first that year. So who is to say the Brewers wont be lucky to have the 15th pick rather than the 10th pick next year.

There were a LOT of empty seats in the outfield - I'm kind of shocked; I would have thought the classiest fans in baseball would have made it a sea of red.

I seen somewhat from the 7th inning til end. I thought to myself, are there even 14,000 fans there? You mean the greatest fans on Earth dont come to Monday games? Or are they already seeing a reduction of fans because their team has no hope at winning the central the next dozen or so years?

Almost nobody is just a throw in. People use this phrase all the time but there is almost never anything really backing it up. If they had removed Anderson from the Segura trade it probably wouldn't have happened. Same with Shaw since we had an obvious need at 3B. Nelson Cruz wasn't a throw in when he was traded either.

Throw in is probably too haphazard a word but I doubt Stearns contacted Boston and specifically said I want Travis Shaw. I'm sure he wanted better prospects but Boston wasn't willing to give them up so he took Shaw to make up the value of the lesser prospect.

Throw in is probably too haphazard a word but I doubt Stearns contacted Boston and specifically said I want Travis Shaw. I'm sure he wanted better prospects but Boston wasn't willing to give them up so he took Shaw to make up the value of the lesser prospect.

It's proving to be a great way to do business. You take a shot on a guy like Shaw who obviously has the talent and just needs to put it together and you get a prospect of significance. It can turn out to being a win-win situation because it helps your team presently and can pay dividends in the long run. Not sure if that is the approach of Stearns but its been fun so far.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Trading Gomez and Lucroy was absolutely the right thing to do. Trading the bullpen arms was absolutely the right thing to do. Once again, the problem I have (with Thornburg) is what we got in return. Why are we looking to get Shaw? Why are we not looking for another prospect? An average 3rd baseman? We need that now? Absolutely have to go out and get it? Why? Explain it to me because I don't understand it at all. Use a reliever to get that extra prospect that a team doesn't want to give up but will help push it over the top. Use it to get a pitching prospect like Bickford. Don't use a reliever to get an average 3B who's already 27.

I would say because the Front Office is looking to compete for playoff spots in 2018. With Shaw, we now have identified average to above average starters for all 8 position players for 2018 (Pina or Bandy, Thames, Villar, Arcia, Shaw, Braun and two of Santana, Broxton, Brinson, Phillips, Cordell). We have a large slew of potentially starting pitchers to sort out for 2018 (Guerra, Davies, Anderson, Hader, Lopez, Woodruff, Ortiz, Wilkerson, Burgos and maybe even Perlta or Nelson turn it around). Use the scraps to make a bullpen (or buy one) and use Perez, one of Pina/Bandy, and the two outfielders who aren't starting to make a bench. That is the making of a team competing for a playoff spot in 2018 with Shaw a strong part of it. In my opinion, that's why we traded for Shaw (along with two very good prospects).

It doesn't even need to be about 2018. There's no reason Shaw can't help us in 2019, 2020, and even beyond if he proves to be the best option. Shaw is not a 34 year old on the last leg of his career. The guy is 27 and under club control for 5 seasons. For someone who is already at least an average MLB regular, that is a good thing.

I want Stearns to take the best deal, and he DID get a pretty nice prospect too. Shaw is also a nice piece. The best deal isn't always going to be a top 75 prospect in High A ball. Controllable talent at all levels.

My point in bringing up Kershaw, Lincecum and Scherzer wasn't to say I knew they were going to be Cy Young winners or anything like that, it was to point out that there was no chance the Brewers could draft them because of where they picked to point out the absurdity of the argument that "you can get talent anywhere in the draft."

And my counter point was that if you had the #1 pick all of those players were available but were not drafted, so unless you have become the first person in history who can actually project high school pitchers the 5-10 position swing in draft slots is totally meaningless. The best player could easily be the best "prospect" or the 5th "prospect" or the 20th "prospect". The Dodgers were lucky to have the 7th pick instead of the first that year. So who is to say the Brewers wont be lucky to have the 15th pick rather than the 10th pick next year.

You're using anecdotes to argue about something measurable. No one is arguing that the #1 pick, or #2 or #5 or whatever, is a sure thing. The argument, for me, is that over a run of drafts, a difference of five, ten, or fifteen draft slots matters some, quite a bit, and a lot, respectively. Under present rules the slot money adds to the difference.

Archived