Brewer Fanatic

Milone DFA'd; Scahill's contract purchased

trade one guy out of options who can refuse a minor league assignment if the brewers wish to outright him for another guy out of options who can refuse a minor league assignment if the brewers wish to outright him.

that's about it for what these two have in common. scahill certainly has more upside.

Milone was bad before he got signed. He had a horrible spring and to top it off used his past wonderful pitching performances to get a bullpen job. Me, along with 95% of the people on this board actually thought he was horrible. This just confirmed it. Now we are going to stick him at AAA or AA and screw up those teams??? I don't get it. Letting Milone work out his problems at the lower levels must make sense to Stearns.

He shouldn't have made the team to begin with, but I can appreciate at least they went ahead and fixed it quickly rather than stick this out half the season.

Him being DFA'ed doesn't have anything go do with sticking him in AA or AAA...yet. Maybe he gets claimed which would be best case scenario, maybe they flat out release him. DFA just gives them some time to figure it out.

If he ends up taking an assignment at Colorado Springs out of the pen I really don't have an issue with that as he is a sunk cost at this point and half of the arms at AA and AAA are just organizational filler types anyway.

They also guaranteed Milone's contract when they kept him to start the season........IIRC.

Not a ton of money but throwing it away as a small market team is pretty stupid.

The brewers organization loves to give veteran pitchers a million bucks, collect service time and create no value. They could of had 2 or 3 guys on roster that were better and make league minimum. And if they actually performed, could have created some value.

Very happy to see that Stearns swallowed his pride and DFA'd this bum.

Also glad to see Stearns swallowed his pride and is calling up Scahill who ripped Stearns at the end of spring training.

I agree with your first sentence but wasn't it Cravy who ripped him? Or maybe it was both and I missed it.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Milone was bad before he got signed. He had a horrible spring and to top it off used his past wonderful pitching performances to get a bullpen job. Me, along with 95% of the people on this board actually thought he was horrible. This just confirmed it. Now we are going to stick him at AAA or AA and screw up those teams??? I don't get it. Letting Milone work out his problems at the lower levels must make sense to Stearns.

Milone has a career 4.14 ERA as a starter. He's had success before, and was worthy of a look. It didn't work out, and we've moved on.

It's nice to have worthwhile relievers available at AAA like Scahill.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Verified Member

Ok, I don’t mind getting Scahill up here because he will not walk guys which seems to be a problem so far with our current bullpen as constructed.

Ugh, choosing to defend Milone again. Going into sat night, his xFIP and SIERA were both below 4. His K:BB rate is 16:2. Betting on volatile home run rates to regress may be a failure so far, but it’s not the worst place to look for under-valued assets.

I have no issues with them signing him to a very small contract and giving him a look. That said, he pitched horrible in spring and didn't really do anything to earn a spot. Quite frankly, they only kept him because they knew they could send the others down and Milone could give them a spot start if needed or be the long man since we had very few off days in April.

Don't necessarily agree with it, but that's what happened. And the logic isn't overly terrible given the situation. He then had a chance to earn his spot the next month...and didn't. And Stearns did the right thing.

Doesn't make much difference if he accepts or not, we can always use bullpen guys in the minors. And maybe he figures it out, dominates and gets another shot later in the year (doubt it), but since we're paying him either way if he goes unclaimed, I'd rather have in the minors than not at all. It was a low risk move, didn't necessarily pan out, but there was nothing wrong in taking a shot.

Milone has a career 4.14 ERA as a starter. He's had success before, and was worthy of a look. It didn't work out, and we've moved on.

It's nice to have worthwhile relievers available at AAA like Scahill.

Millone soft tosses up their and his Change over the years has increased in velocity. When your 88/79 there's a difference. When your 88/81.5 you're not making as much of a difference in speeds that are already slow. Marco Estrada it's 89 and below 78. Davies sits 89-90/ 78.5-79.

Just not bringing it like he did his 1st 2 seasons. Where half his IP come from. 4 and 5years ago.

It's about time this is addressed. I hope Stearns addresses the Pitching within every 20games. There are options a plenty in AA/AAA and sticking with garbage isn't necessary.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Very happy to see that Stearns swallowed his pride and DFA'd this bum.

Also glad to see Stearns swallowed his pride and is calling up Scahill who ripped Stearns at the end of spring training.

I agree with your first sentence but wasn't it Cravy who ripped him? Or maybe it was both and I missed it.

Cravy was a bit more sharp with his criticism, but both did.

Milwaukee tried to catch lightning in a bottle with a lefty in the pen. For a one year deal and a million bucks how could anyone be ripping the FO for signing him? Low risk, potential high reward if he would have pitched well as a lefty.

He didn't and for now he's gone. Worth a shot IMO.

It was essentially Capuano from last year with less money. Even on rebuilding teams there have to be guys to soak up innings.

In a rebuilding year when you see a team take on a player with some name recognition like Tommy Milone or Neftali Feliz, a lot of it is about trying to revive their career and status as "reliable veterans" so they can be flipped at the deadline. When you look at the haul we got back for Thornburg, this seems like a reasonable approach. We aren't at every practice or workout, and I'm certain the Brewers saw something in Milone that gave them some optimism that he could turn it around.

Yes Milone was more of a roll of the dice than Feliz, whose signing was a roll of the dice in itself, but it was worth the gamble. Not every lottery ticket is gonna work out.

There are plenty of teams like the Nationals who are legit contenders with less than stellar bullpens who will overpay for pitching at the deadline.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

They also guaranteed Milone's contract when they kept him to start the season........IIRC.

Not a ton of money but throwing it away as a small market team is pretty stupid.

There is still a chance that a lefty or starter desperate team could take a shot at him and take the remaining 1M+ or so off our hands. Maybe not a great shot, but a shot.

You'd have to think if any team does it it would be the Mets. That team's rotation has been destroyed by injuries.

Glad that the Brewers brought up Scahill, even after his ill considered statements. Can see this happening all season with BP changing often. Started with 6 starter, now 5, can easily see starters going down with more change in SP.

Archived