Brewer Fanatic

Thames' Cult Status

Crash2303

With each additional HR and audacious media quote, it seems Thames' fan following continues to grow. Which brings back sentiments of the cultish fervor surrounding T-Plush (and "his" twitter account) in 2011 and Bill Hall in 2006 and all the chuck norris Bill Hall jokes.

So, where does Eric Thames (insert official brewerfan nickname suggestion) currently rank on your alltime brewerfan.net cult heroes list? of course, when he breaks Bonds' single season HR record by July- he may become ineligible for "cult" status.

loose basis of definition of brewerfan.net cult status:

* often a sudden, unexpected, & (somewhat) sustained rise of success.

* often a meme or huge thread devoted to subject on site

* may or may not be that popular among mainstream brewer fans

* often a distinguishable characteristic ie mustache, walk up song, cool name etc

And we're talking peak cult status.

* may or may not be that popular among mainstream brewer fans

That'll go out the window pretty quick here.

Seriously, Thames doesn't really seem like a 'cult' guy like Branyan of the Brewers or Kuhn of the Packers, to me. He has fans because he's been really awesome and will probably continue to as long as he stays really good. So really I wouldn't place him on a list like that at all, but that's just my opinion. He'll be loved more of the way in which fans loved(d) Ryan Braun and Prince Fielder if he keeps it up.

Best Brewer comparison would be Rob Deer. Like Thames, Deer was a guy who traveled around a bit without much success but then suddenly had a couple good seasons with the Brewers. Brewer fans made Deer out to be much better than he was. Thames story is much better and he has a chance to put up much better seasons than Deer. Thames can become a real national cult story not just a Brewer story. Similar to the attention Cecil Fielder got or Fernando mania.

As for nickname I would simply go with: Eric "The Great" Thames

If Chris Berman were still doing highlights he no doubt would call him Eric "Punting on the" Thames.

Brooks Kieschnick having success as a relief pitcher, as well as a power hitting lefty bench bat, was a bright spot on some pretty bad teams.

Todd Coffey sprinting out of the bullpen with the Ultimate Warrior's entry music was pretty electric.

But I would say both of those are more of the "fan favorite" category than having cult status. What separated Russell "The Muscle" Branyan (first of his name, leader of the Church of the Three True Outcomes, of which we are all disciples), was that he was revered for his Rob Deer-like 3TO percentage, so even when he struck out it only served to perpetuate his cult status. Branyan was incredibly patient, which resulted in the high Walk & K rates. Thames one-ups him here in his ability to lay off the junk.

Gruber Lawffices

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Stormin' Gorman Thomas

http://jssportscards.com/30%20Thomas0001%20(Small).jpg

- Lead league in HRs (twice)

- Lead league in strikeouts (twice)

- Ran into many, many walls

- Ran a bar (Stormin' and Vuks)

- Drank too much

- Ate too much

- Long hair and bushy mustache

- Looked like he should be at the end of bar, not on a baseball field

- Loved Milwaukee

- Helped Brewers get to World Series

Would be cool if the fans at games would chant: FEAR THE BEARD

I guess I'd be fine with that, though it seems so cliche by now. Seems like 2/3 of MLB has beards now.

My favorite cult players for the Brewers are as follows:

1. Derrick Turnbow

2. Nyjer Morgan

3. Russell Branyan

4. Gorman Thomas

5. Todd Coffey

My top five:

1) Bill Hall

2) T-Plush

3) Derrick Turnbow

4) John Axford's mustache

5) Bucky Jacobsen

apologies to Kieschnik, the Muscle, Hank the Dog (on behalf of my daughter) and Yuny B (loved to hate)

btw- also tons of other minor league guys, who may not necessarily fit in this conversation- but may in a separate list sometime "brewerfan.net love"- guys like Capn Lou, Maverik Lasker, Dillard, Rottino, Neuge (may have been the most excited I've been over a prospect)

Archived