Brewer Fanatic

Is Chase Anderson for real?

geelsjj02

Is Chase Anderson for real?

It’s early in the season, but Chase Anderson has pitched well in his first four starts. He has a 1.13 ERA which leads the NL. I discuss Anderson’s dominant start to the year in my newest article which you can read here:

http://www.armchairallamericans.com/chase-andersons-dominance/

Can Anderson continue this success going forward, or is this just a hot start to the season? If he does, should Milwaukee look to trade him or keep him as part of the future?

Not clicking on your link but I will answer the question so there is something useful here.

It looks like his velocity is up slightly and that is after adjusting for the change in how pitch velocity is being calculated this year. He is throwing the four seam fastball less which is good as it has never been a good pitch, he is throwing the two seamer more which has been a pretty neutral pitch for him. His swinging strike% is up which suggests the increase in K% is somewhat for real. He is throwing more pitches in the zone and also getting more swings and misses out of it which is good. His hard contact against is down as well.

There are tons of good signs in his pitching profile that suggests he is a better pitcher this year than last. He won't keep suppressing HR the way he has. He showed similar levels of skill for a couple of months in 2015 but was never this good in 2016. It is really hard to say if this is just a hot start or something more but he most likely will be better this year than he was last year.

Archived