Brewer Fanatic

Michael Reed

Does anyone think Pittsburgh might be interested in Reed? Apparently they are looking for more outfielders Marte being suspended. While Reed is unproven, he's been killing the ball in Biloxi and should be a good 4th OF when Marte comes back. I have no idea what we would get in return, but with the glut of OF in the system it might be worth a call.
Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

You would think just in general (and Reed fits), that we would be a good match for Pittsburg. Always tough doing division trades and the Jason Rogers for Trey Supak and Broxton deal might still have a bad taste in their mouths.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'm not sure Reed is really majors ready, nor is he destined to be a good major league player. Lots of strikeouts and pedestrian minors stats.

He's young so I'm not punting on him and I generally only follow our minors players statistically, so somebody can explain to me the hype about him, but the Pirates have plenty of mediocre MLB right-handed players on their roster that they can shuffle the defensive positions around to get on the field.

They seem reluctant to call up Meadows who probably isn't ready, but they can probably get by with Frazier, Bell, and probably some scrap heap FA signing for a few more weeks before they can prep for Marte returning in mid-July.

What about Kyle Wren? Gets on base, steals bases and is a good defender. Already was having trouble getting AB's in AAA with Brinson, Phillips and Cordell. Now with Newenhuis in AAA he'll only get PH's or get demoted to AA.

Flip Wren to PITT and hope we can get a Trey Supak type of prospect back.

Only thing Id think of with a Reed por Wren trade to Pittsburgh is for cash and opening a 40man spot. Because in no situation will the fans for the Pirates understand trading for an OF with little to none ML experience when they know Meadows is sitting there waiting in their system.

I think this kind of move would just be ahead of saying we were going to waive Reed or Wren to open a 40man spot anyway. I'd think Kirk N. jas a more realistic shot to be handed to Pittsburgh, but then again Kirk N's H/A splits being so awful Pitts must believe that road split is the guy they'd be acquiring.

Archived